Support for Indie Authors discussion

Physical Book Publishing > Reviews for books in preorder stage

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sally (new)

Sally Hanan (inksnatcher) | 14 comments I have a book live now as a preorder only on Amazon, and while it says people can write reviews, another author told me that Amazon might delete any if it wasn't purchased through them. The sale date is August 31, but from what I've read, early reviews can generate buzz if done right. So what's the right way?

Thanks

message 2: by Tomas, Wandering dreamer (new)

Tomas Grizzly | 731 comments Mod
Taking a blind guess here but maybe it could be good if the reviewer specifically notes that he had early access from the author. Probably not failproof but could help.

message 3: by Jane (new)

Jane Blythe | 112 comments As far as I'm aware you cannot review an item that is up for preorder on amazon, the only way to get reviews on before the book releases is to release the paperback early then have the paperback and kindle book linked on amazon, so that people can leave a review on the paperback which will show up for both versions

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann Shannon | 24 comments Sally wrote: "I have a book live now as a preorder only on Amazon, and while it says people can write reviews, another author told me that Amazon might delete any if it wasn't purchased through them. The sale da..."

Great Question, Sally...so helpful to me as a newbie, first-timer! Good luck with your book!

message 5: by LA Girl (new)

LA Girl  (nat_b_la) | 5 comments Sally wrote: "I have a book live now as a preorder only on Amazon, and while it says people can write reviews, another author told me that Amazon might delete any if it wasn't purchased through them. The sale da..."

Sally,

From what I heard, the Amazon may delete a review in a situation where a user made an account with them specifically to review a book. Usually, the account will be made close to the book release date and the user will not have any other reviews or have not reviewed any books in the past. Also, if you are giving away an ARC, the user has to indicate he or she received a free copy from the author in exchange for an honest review. It's a requirement on Amazon and Goodreads. Best thing to do is to actually find users/reviewers on Amazon who review books in similar genres as yours and ask them if they would be interested in reviewing an ARC. It's a tedious process because you need to make sure they read what you write and check their activity but if done right, it can create the necessary buzz. Even if the reviews are left not before the release but on the day off, that's still great. You want to get as many reviews and buys in a short period of time. On Goodreads, it's not as strict. Amazon will probably keep an eye on you if you have too many reviews before the release date. On Goodreads, as long as the reviewer indicates it's a review of an ARC, you can have as many reviews as you want. I recently saw an author who had around 100 reviews on Goodreads accumulated the day before actual release.

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann Shannon | 24 comments Ann wrote: "Sally wrote: "I have a book live now as a preorder only on Amazon, and while it says people can write reviews, another author told me that Amazon might delete any if it wasn't purchased through the..."

Natalie, thank you for your response. It was very helpful!

message 7: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 787 comments If you have early reviews and your book is up for pre-order you can put the reviews under the editorial reviews.

I always wondered this myself and I could've sworn some books that are available for pre-order I've seen them with a ton of reviews already but I imagine they are books published by big name companies.

message 8: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Walker (jetplague) | 33 comments Justin wrote: "If you have early reviews and your book is up for pre-order you can put the reviews under the editorial reviews.

I always wondered this myself and I could've sworn some books that are available f..."

Yes I think that’s the case. Companies have more sway on getting the book reviews out there. Or at least really awesome publicity agents. Where as self-published authors doing it alone...yeah, no.

message 9: by Peter (new)

Peter (pdinuk) | 77 comments I haven't tried it, but I've read about setting up a paperback version while your Kindle preorder is live then making it unavailable. Apparently people can then post reviews for that version, which are then 'credited' to the Kindle version too. This was during the CreateSpace days, so I don't know how it affected by the shift to KDP paperbacks.

Good luck!

Peter

message 10: by Ann, Supreme Overlord (new)

Ann Andrews (annliviandrews) | 687 comments Mod
Our moderator, Riley, had a goal to get 100 reviews prior to his last book launch and he wrote about the whole process. If you are interested in reading that, please send me a private message and I will send you the link.