The Sword and Laser discussion

Mortal Engines (Mortal Engines, #1)
This topic is about Mortal Engines
Mortal Engines > ME: Present tense sections

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phil (last edited Jul 03, 2018 08:07PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Phil | 1186 comments Most of this book is written in the usual third person past tense but every once in a while there is a short burst of third person present tense. When I first noticed this it seemed to be associated with Shrike (view spoiler).
Do you think this is to highlight the skewed perspective of the bad guys like the tilted camera in the old Batman series or is there a deeper meaning that I'm missing?

Vanessa | 104 comments I noticed this as well. Your interpretation is kinder than mine - I just assumed he wasn't a very good writer.

Phil | 1186 comments Vanessa wrote: "I noticed this as well. Your interpretation is kinder than mine - I just assumed he wasn't a very good writer."

I also don't think he's a very good writer but I figured this aspect had to be for a reason.

Trike | 8962 comments I also think it was done for immediacy and impact, but since he didn’t establish it early on in the book, it comes across like he forgot his place and tried a different style.

Daryl | 93 comments Definitely intentional for all of the "villains" but not sure why it was done. Trying to find a discussion where the author discusses this but have failed so far.