Week 4: AUG 1-7 - Chapter 35 - 44
Week 5: AUG 8-14 - Chapter 45 - 54
Week 6: AUG 15-21 - Chapter 55 - 70
Week 7: AUG 22-28 - Chapter 71 - 82
Week 8: AUG 29-SEP 4 - Chapter 83 - 93
Week 9: SEP 5-11 - Chapter 94 - 107
Week 10: SEP 12-18 - Chapter 108 - 125
Week 11: SEP 19-25 - Chapter 126 - Epilogue + Book as a whole

message 2: by David (last edited Jul 03, 2018 07:01PM) (new)

David | 2738 comments Cphe wrote: "That schedule looks a teeny bit imposing"

It does look imposing. but most of the chapters are surprisingly short. I think it is because Melville appears to digress excessively by coming at the truth sideways which makes some sections seem longer than they are.

Each week represents about 50 pages according to my kindle/penguin pagination. It is three weeks longer than the schedule for the previous group read of 8 weeks which included 2 weeks for for the last chapters and book as a whole.

We can insert a week or two for people to catch up if the reading begins to outpace the discussion.

message 3: by Borum (new)

Borum | 535 comments I received the book this week and I almost skipped over the etymology part! :-o I thought it was supplementary material added by the editors (a bit embarassed now)

message 4: by David (new)

David | 2738 comments I have found many editions sorely lack the Etymology and Extract sections, but they are indeed the start of Melville's oblique run up to the truth. Some things to think about for the start of the discussion next week concerning these two sections: Who are the late consumptive usher to a grammar school and the sub-sub-Librarian, and why does Melville start with these?

If your edition is missing these, the free versions listed in the background and resources discussion include them.

message 5: by Pam (new)

Pam | 2 comments Thank you,
I am rather new to the group butbjuat bought Moby Dick and am ready to dive in - no pun intended. I had heard that this novel was supposed to be a shining examply of postmodern literary theory. But I don’t know enough to delve into that supposition yet. If anyone does, and can point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it!!

message 6: by Tamara (last edited Jul 04, 2018 05:49AM) (new)

Tamara Agha-Jaffar | 1738 comments Pam wrote: "Thank you,
I am rather new to the group butbjuat bought Moby Dick and am ready to dive in - no pun intended. I had heard that this novel was supposed to be a shining examply of postmodern literary..."

Welcome, Pam! I'm glad you decided to join us for Moby Dick.

I did a quick internet search to find a succinct definition of postmodern literary theory. I found this article, which I think might be helpful.
https://www.ripublication.com/ijepa/i...

The authors explain the basic tenets of postmodern theory and provide a lot of examples in literature. I wouldn't worry too much about the examples if you're not familiar with the works. But you should be able to glean information about postmodern literary theory from their paper.

As to whether or not Moby Dick is a "shining example of postmodern literary theory," I'll leave that up to you to determine as you join us for the reading and discussion.

I hope this helps.

message 7: by Buck01 (new)

Buck01 Hello,

I've only recently joined this website and was looking for a group that enjoyed reading Classic literature. I'm pleased to have found this group and I'm even happier to see that the next book on your agenda is Moby-Dick. This book is part of my upcoming program in English literature (at the end of this year).

Looking forward to having a plethora of different insights from all the members who will be reading the book this summer !

message 8: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Agha-Jaffar | 1738 comments Buck01 wrote: "Hello,

I've only recently joined this website and was looking for a group that enjoyed reading Classic literature. I'm pleased to have found this group and I'm even happier to see that the next bo..."

Welcome! I'm always happy to see a fellow English Lit major join our group. Our current interim read is the Eng. Lit poem, Gray's Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard. You can find the discussion at https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/....
Feel free to jump in with your thoughts/interpretation at any time.

Looking forward to your comments and insights as we tackle the hefty whale.

message 9: by Todd (new)

Todd Glaeser | 21 comments The schedule does seem a bit ambitious, but I’m looking forward to being a part of the discussions.

message 10: by David (new)

David | 2738 comments Pam wrote: "I had heard that this novel was supposed to be a shining examply of postmodern literary..."

Hi Pam. I am looking forward to you telling us how Moby-Dick is a shining example of postmodernism.

I cannot speak to the aspects of postmodernism, but I do know the book is definitely a shining example of Dark Romanticism, ala, Hawthorne's Scarlet Letter ect. In fact Hawkthorne was considered a great friend that heavily influenced the "darkness" of the Moby-Dick. So much so, that Melville dedicated the book to Hawthorne.

message 11: by David (new)

David | 2738 comments Just some quick reminders for everyone.

1. NO SPOILERS - It is apparent from the comments that there are quite a few members reading Moby-Dick for the first time and we respect that by commenting together as the story unfolds up to and not exceeding the current week's chapters up for discussion. Also, please keep this in mind when posting comments to previous weeks discussion. Please refer to the discussion schedule. If you must refer to something ahead in the reading, please use the HTML spoiler tags. Like this:(view spoiler)

2. We know it is a fine line sometimes, but please use discretion in keeping the chapter discussion comments as relative to the text in the chapters being discussed as you can. Please post the more background, resource, and misc related comments in the appropriate topic. If we need more specific background topics the moderators will be happy to assist you in creating them.

3. Please comment. The more people that comment, the more fun it is. To all of you who enjoy reading the comments but are reluctant to comment, you should realize that those who comment more frequently would enjoy reading your comments as much as you enjoy reading theirs. Don't be shy, and remember the more you post the more weight your votes will have in the next poll.

4. Have fun.

5. No spoilers.

message 12: by Marian (new)

Marian (classicsconsidered) Not sure if I can keep up, but I might join this one! I read it years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. (It's best read at evening, in complete peace and quiet...then you can really get into Melville's scientific and philosophical digressions.)

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 304 comments When I found out we were actually going to read this, I pulled down my copy and read the first chapter--a chapter I must have read at least two or three times before in my various attempts at this book. I was very surprised at how much I liked it and how much easier it was than I remembered. So I am really looking forward to starting this one more time.

message 14: by Xan (new)

Xan  Shadowflutter (shadowflutter) | 400 comments Bryan wrote: "When I found out we were actually going to read this, I pulled down my copy and read the first chapter--a chapter I must have read at least two or three times before in my various attempts at this ..."

Me too, although for me it was Chapter 3, The Spotter's Inn. I disliked it before (more than once), but was absorbed in it last night.

message 15: by Pam (new)

Pam | 2 comments David and Tamara,
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I will definitely research more and share what I have learned. I am new to literary theory as the last time I was in college, it either wasn’t discussed or I simply do not remember it. So thank you Tamara, for the link. Much appreciated!

As it stands, the “example of postmedern literary theory” was not my original thought, but one shared with me by someone who gives a fig about literary theory.

While I have read Moby Dick before, it has been so long that I don’t remember it so I for one, thank everyone for refraining from spoilers.

It is nice to be a part of a group reading literature. Thanks for having me.
Pam

message 16: by John (new)

John Seymour | 53 comments Xan Shadowflutter wrote: "Bryan wrote: "When I found out we were actually going to read this, I pulled down my copy and read the first chapter--a chapter I must have read at least two or three times before in my various att..."

I have started reading and am thoroughly enjoying it. Am looking forward to the discussion.

message 17: by Rafael (new)

Rafael da Silva (morfindel) | 337 comments Just to know. This discussion will continue till Sep 25 or Oct 2? In the first message there's a date but in the bookshelf there's another.

message 18: by David (last edited Sep 17, 2018 01:57PM) (new)

David | 2738 comments thank you for speaking up, Rafael. My apologies on any confusion that has caused. The first message in this topic is correct. I have set the bookshelf dates to match.

Week 11: SEP 19-25 - Chapter 126 - Epilogue + Book as a whole.

The next interim read, to be announced, will be scheduled to start Sept. 26.

And of course the discussions always remain open everyone is encouraged to continue to add their comments to any book discussion after it is read.

message 19: by Rafael (new)

Rafael da Silva (morfindel) | 337 comments You don't need to apologise. No confusion at all. Thank you.

message 20: by David (last edited Sep 20, 2018 02:17PM) (new)

David | 2738 comments Hey! We made it through Moby-Dick! Head on over to the Power Moby-Dick site and print yourself out a certificate of achievement. The short quiz to prove you read it should be a breeze for you after this.
http://www.powermobydick.com/Moby145....

Congratulations everyone!

This is my third time through it and first with this group. Thanks to everyone's comments, I got so much more out of it this time that I am looking forward to reading it again with all of the new insights I have gained.