The Rory Gilmore Reading Challenge discussion

Life of Pi
This topic is about Life of Pi
Book Discussions > Life of Pi

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Windy | 44 comments Life of Pi was the winner of the July poll. I will be the discussion leader this month.

To get us started, a few questions:
1. Who all will be joining us this month in our reading?
2. Have you previously read the book and/or seen the movie?
3. What are your expectations as you read Life of Pi?

Colleen (miniguinea73) | 0 comments I’m in! I’ve seen the movie, but I haven’t read the book. I’m excited to read this one. I’m going to see if I can find a used copy online.

message 3: by Holly (new) - added it

Holly | 232 comments Mod
Checking out the library catalog tonight. I'm in, but I'm also reading about 15 other books this month. I may be late to the discussion.

Cindy Walsh (cindyrunner) | 50 comments I would love to read this book also, but I need to find a copy of it... Just curious, was there a poll for July's reading? If there was, I am not getting the messages from Goodreads... I usually get updates or notifications. Maybe there is something wrong with my settings. Did anyone else get updates or notifications about July's book...

message 5: by Holly (new) - added it

Holly | 232 comments Mod
There was for July and quarter 3 in the suggestions thread. Quarter 3 is open until tomorrow

Cathrine | 14 comments I just bought a copy of Life of Pi. I have never read it nor have I watched the movie. I have heard a little about it, and read the synopsis, but other than that I'm going in pretty blindly.

I've heard great things about it and as it was the winner of the Man Booker Prize in 2002, I expect it to be good.

Kendy (greensweatherweather) | 13 comments I'm joining in. :) I've seen the film and have the book on my shelves for 4 years. So it's time to read it!

Marianne | 9 comments I have already read it and loved it :-)

message 9: by Stephanie (new) - added it

Stephanie Johnson | 323 comments Mod
LOL. I actually just checked out the ebook at my library. I was going to read it this month anyways, so this is perfect!
My husband and I watched the movie a while ago. I started discussing it with my husband and apparently he remembers more about the movie than I do. I read so many books that I have to dump some of the information every once in awhile from old things that were not my favorites.

Windy | 44 comments Greensweatherweather wrote: "I'm joining in. :) I've seen the film and have the book on my shelves for 4 years. So it's time to read it!"

I haven't seen the film yet, but I can completely relate to having a book on my shelves for years before reading it. I have way too many of those.

message 11: by Elba (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elba (elbamaria) | 99 comments Life of Pi is such a good book. I read this one a few times. I am going to watch the film. I look forward to your comments. Cheers and Happy Summer.

Debbie (debblett) Greensweatherweather wrote: "I'm joining in. :) I've seen the film and have the book on my shelves for 4 years. So it's time to read it!"

Me too! Except it's been 5 years. I'm also using it for a reading challenge prompt so I'm very happy it was chosen this month!

Windy | 44 comments As I read Part 1, two things really stuck with me:
1. Pi's opinion about zoos.
2. His description of animal traits and behaviors and how they are so similar to those of humans.

What has stuck with you so far, and how do these things influence you?

message 14: by Cathrine (last edited Jul 10, 2018 02:41PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cathrine | 14 comments Windy wrote: "As I read Part 1, two things really stuck with me:
1. Pi's opinion about zoos.
2. His description of animal traits and behaviors and how they are so similar to those of humans.

What has stuck wi..."

I totally agree with you that his opinions of zoos were quite interesting. I don't agree with him at all...

I just read about his perception of religion, and as a (now former) religion studies student, I found his take on religion both refreshing and very interesting, although I think religious people might not find it particularly amusing.

I really like the start of chapter 29, where he talks about moving. I'm currently packing to move from west Norway to the north of Norway and reading his thoughts on moving came at a very fitting time for me.

I haven't finished all of part 1 yet, but I only have about 20 pages left, so I'll probably read the rest of part 1 tonight.

Colleen (miniguinea73) | 0 comments I’m just about 90 pages in, and I really like this kid. I love how he turned around the negativity about his name and his view on world religions and how he’s not afraid to stand up for himself. I know what’s coming and I think this may be one of the reasons why he is able to tell his story to the “author”

Sharri Delk | 9 comments I am finishing 'A Room With a View,' this evening. I will begin 'Life of Pi' tomorrow!

Windy | 44 comments I finished the book last night. I really enjoyed this one. I like Pi and his resourcefulness and intelligence. I found it interesting how Pi's "more acceptable" story correlates with the original story.

Colleen (miniguinea73) | 0 comments I'm nearly finished. It started a little slow, but I suddenly didn't want to put it down! I'm about to begin Part 3.

message 19: by Holly (new) - added it

Holly | 232 comments Mod
I finished it while riding in the car last week. I have to say, I'm impressed by the author's insight into zoo keeping (I'd love to know if this is personal to the author or if he researched it for the book) and how his perception of things is. It makes you realize that how people can look at the same situation in two totally different ways and the only way that is correct is the way the person telling the story is correct. (Does that make sense?)

message 20: by Holly (new) - added it

Holly | 232 comments Mod
Windy wrote: "I finished the book last night. I really enjoyed this one. I like Pi and his resourcefulness and intelligence. I found it interesting how Pi's "more acceptable" story correlates with the original s..."

From my understanding from reading reviews is that it has been widely debated whether his "acceptable story" is even the actual account of the boat/time on the life boat.

message 21: by Stephanie (new) - added it

I'm about to start part 3. I'm probably gong to finish it tonight. I'm really liking it thus far. I don't really remember the movie so I'm going to watch it after I finish the book. Books are always better than the movies anyways.

message 22: by Stephanie (new) - added it

Finished the book yesterday. I loved it. I really don't remember much of it happening like that in the movie. I also thought it was interesting that the "acceptable story" was similar to the real one. But, then again...who is to say which story is real and which is a fabrication.

Margriet (m4rgriet) | 12 comments I’ve started reading this book. Did not see the movie, but heard good vibes for this book from a collegue.

Windy | 44 comments Sorry I've been MIA lately. For those of you that have read the book and seen the movie, what is your opinion of the two?

Personally, I really enjoyed the book, but I was not a big fan of the movie. That is pretty normal for me though. I have to watch the movie first if I'm going to appreciate it for what it is.

message 25: by Stephanie (new) - added it

I agree that the book is always better than the movie. Harry Potter might be close on that though. I loved the books and the movies. Also, technically not a movie, but I love the outlander series books and the TV show is great. I think it helps tremendously to have the author on set helping keep everything in line with their vision.

message 26: by Holly (new) - added it

Holly | 232 comments Mod
Windy wrote: "Sorry I've been MIA lately. For those of you that have read the book and seen the movie, what is your opinion of the two?

Personally, I really enjoyed the book, but I was not a big fan of the mov..."

There are some books that I refuse to see the movie to. This might be one of them. I kind of enjoy the visions I've created in my head of the book and I'm almost worried that they will be ruined. I refuse to see the movies for 50 shades. I'd like to leave Christian in my head....not on the screen.

Frau Spätzle (soenne) I haven't seen the movie, but just finished the book this morning. I liked it, but it's not going to be one of my favourite books, I have to say. It was a good read (the short chapters really helped), well-written and with a compelling plot, but all in all it just didn't "speak" to me. It's hard to explain, but after reading some raving reviews, I somehow had expected it to be more of a revelation, I guess. However, I felt it was just a really nice story - nothing too spiritual or life-changing.

As for Pi's ideas of zoos - well, not only do I disagree, but I also found the comparison of humans choosing life in the Ritz over homelessness kind of missed the point completely: The analogy would not be living in the Ritz but being trapped, held captive there - and I don't know how many people would choose a life without personal freedom or even simply freedom of movement. Just look at human history...

Alison | 2 comments I read this about 15 years ago in high school just as a "fun read" during the summer and remembered being curious about what happens next and enjoying the read. I also remember him being in a boat for awhile, but that's about it.

I will contribute something more useful with one of the next reads. Given that I just checked out Charlotte's Web from the library 😂, I don't know if I'm up for Madame Bovary right now. I will check out the upcoming reads....

message 29: by jb (new) - rated it 2 stars

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) | 59 comments I finished this book this evening and it fell quite short for me - two stars.

message 30: by Elba (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elba (elbamaria) | 99 comments Initially I was turned off with the religious over tones in Life of Pi. His story does not make me believe in God, but believe in the human spirit. Pi is smart, kind, and exudes an overall thrive to live. These qualities is what gets him through his ordeal at sea. I watched the movie and I loved the cinematography. It was amazing to me to see Pi’s story come to life on the screen. I do prefer books to cinema, but this movie was worth watching. It is always so interesting to see what the directors choose to leave out of the story to fit into the cinema genre. I prefer the animal story versus the human. It is more symbolic and has more appeal to me.

Rebecca (becstokes) | 38 comments I'd put off reading this book as I thought it was a kids' book. I'm so glad I read it though! I absolutely loved it.

That's what I'm enjoying about the RGRC - I'm finally reading classics that I've been meaning to get around to for years, plus finding some unexpected little gems along the way that I never would have picked up by myself.