Woman at Point Zero
This topic is about Woman at Point Zero
Archive: Other Books > Woman At Point Zero by Nawal El Saadawi 4

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane (last edited Jul 03, 2018 06:32PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Diane Zwang | 485 comments Woman at Point Zero by Nawal El Saadawi
4/5 stars

“This novel, or rather creative non-fiction, takes the reader into the cell of a woman the night before her execution.”

“She is an orphan who was passed from one abusive guardian to another, and her tale shows how trust is tested and finally erodes, leaving behind only fear and alienation.”

I was blown away after reading the introductory comments of the book, about the author section, the foreword by Miriam Cooke and the preface, I was not disappointed in my journey. The author, a psychiatrist, turned to writing after having her rights taken away under the rule of Anwar Sadat. Woman at Point Zero was first published in Beirut in 1973.

The story is about Firdaus, a woman who was doomed the moment she was born. In this patriarchal society of Cairo, she was passed from one relative to another not being sure who her parents really were. A glimmer of hope ensues when she is allowed to go to school but you know this does not maintain as the book starts in prison. “Life is a snake. They are the same, Firdaus. If the snake realizes you are not a snake, it will bite you.”

The main themes of the book are feminism, bravery and survival. “Because I was intelligent I preferred to be a free prostitute, rather than an enslaved wife.” I would be happy to read more of this author's work.

Probably the best 100 pages I have read in a long time.

message 2: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 3111 comments Terrific review. Thank you.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Great review. What a touching story and so powerful. The themes in this story are so relevant right now.