Retro Reads discussion

Group Reads > July Read

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Moderator (new)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 1736 comments Mod
No we haven't forgotten!

Hana has only just received her copy of China Court: The Hours of a Country House & she has suggested pushing the start date back to around the 11th as this week is a crazy busy week in the States.

Sorry for any confusion.

message 2: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 1414 comments That sounds perfect!

Barb in Maryland | 497 comments No problem for me. I can easily renew my library copy of this book.
I actually like a later start date for Retro Reads...

message 4: by Hana (new)

Hana | 1104 comments Mod
Thanks, everyone!

message 5: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1964 comments Dagnabit, just talked to my librarian and she says, alas, Rumer fell out of fashion awhile ago and no copies are left.
On a happier note, I got a dozen and a half fresh eggs and a pound of cherries there. Love my little library!

message 6: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 1414 comments Dang, your library goes above and beyond!

message 7: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 352 comments Libraries are the best!

(biased comment from a biased Librarian)

Barb in Maryland | 497 comments Karlyne wrote: "Dagnabit, just talked to my librarian and she says, alas, Rumer fell out of fashion awhile ago and no copies are left.
On a happier note, I got a dozen and a half fresh eggs and a pound of cherrie..."

Karlyne--FYI, AbeBooks.com shows several copies of China Court for around $4 w/free shipping, if you can't find it at your local used book source.
Cherries for the win! Lucky you.

message 9: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1964 comments It's adorable! There were 9 cars parked in the (gravel) parking lot, and, of course, a few walkers, too. It's a social gathering place - on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays - for our little town of 800. And it really does have more books than many much larger towns do!

message 10: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1964 comments I'll try to round up a copy!

message 11: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 1414 comments I found it on Scribd! Audio and e-books are my friends over the last year - easier on the eyes...🤓

message 12: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 208 comments I'm looking for a copy as well -- I read Rumer Godden in my youth and I would love to make a return visit.

message 13: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 720 comments I got it for $7 and change on Kindle--but I am loving it so much that I plan to buy a paper copy.

message 14: by Kavan (new)

Kavan | 85 comments Anyone who likes Rumer Godden should keep an eye out on Kindle. Her books regularly go for 1.99 or 2.99 on Kindle.

message 15: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1964 comments I struck out at a couple of thrift stores (I swear I'm going to alphabetize them, one of these days. The Phantom Alphabetizer, that'll be me!), so I'll try Abe's Monday.

message 17: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1964 comments My copy is on its way, so, although I'll be late, I will arrive eventually (
5-14 days).

message 18: by Barb in Maryland (new)

Barb in Maryland | 497 comments Karlyne wrote: "My copy is on its way, so, although I'll be late, I will arrive eventually (
5-14 days)."

Looking forward to hearing from you. Hana is doing a great job of supplying background info. I'm loving her posts as much as I'm enjoying the book.

message 19: by Hana (new)

Hana | 1104 comments Mod
Karlyne's joining us?! What fun.

You always have such good psychological insights, Karlyne.

message 20: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1964 comments Thanks, Hana! I have all my fingers and toes crossed that it'll arrive soon, so I won't be too far behind.

message 21: by Hana (new)

Hana | 1104 comments Mod
I love it so much that I keep going back section by section. I'll be waiting for you :)

message 22: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1964 comments I am seriously checking the mail box every day! Well, not Sunday, but the rest of the week.

message 23: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 1414 comments As soon as I wrap up my other books, I’ll join you, Karlyne. I’ve been following the discussions to get a feel for the book and author, but haven’t really gotten into the book yet, just the first few pages - seems like beautiful writing!

message 24: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1964 comments Ok, I'll be announcing its arrival here then!

message 25: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 1414 comments Good!

message 26: by Hana (new)

Hana | 1104 comments Mod
Thank you, Barb in Maryland--and I'm go glad to have Susan NC and Karlyne joining in.