The Next Best Book Club discussion

Looking For Recommendations > Fantasy That Isn't Medieval?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Xian Xian (last edited Aug 03, 2014 09:18PM) (new)

Xian Xian (xianxian) Lately I've been thinking, are there any fantasy novels that aren't like Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings? Are there any good fantasy novels that take place in modern times? That would be Urban Fantasy. However, the only one I know is City of Bones and I can't get into that woman's writing, something about it, I don't like it.I hope no one is offended by that. So any good ones? I should be sleeping....

message 2: by Feliks (last edited Aug 03, 2014 09:29PM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) Yes. Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin Yes. The Guyana Quartet by Wilson Harris Yes. Sweet Dreams by Michael Frayn Yes. The Unlimited Dream Company by J.G. Ballard Yes. V. by Thomas Pynchon Yes. The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon Yes. One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez
Yes. Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez Yes. The Coup by John Updike

message 3: by Xian Xian (new)

Xian Xian (xianxian) Okay, J.G. Ballard, Thomas Pynchon, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, that's all Magical Realism, I love magical realism and surrealism, three authors I've been wanting to read forever. How did I not think of these dudes?Is Magical Realism considered fantasy? So have I been loving fantasy the whole time? Oh dear, my brain exploded.

message 4: by Judy (new)

Judy (judygreeneyes) | 411 comments Charles de Lint(he has written many books, all excellent Dreams Underfoot (Newford, #1) by Charles de Lint The Little Country by Charles de Lint
John Crowley Little, Big by John Crowley
Sheri S. Tepper amazing author, many great books The Gate to Women's Country by Sheri S. Tepper The Family Tree by Sheri S. Tepper
Jonathan Carroll the "Crane's View" books are very good, and don't have to be read in order. I liked The Wooden Sea best. The Wooden Sea by Jonathan Carroll (World Fantasy Award 2002)

message 5: by Judy (new)

Judy (judygreeneyes) | 411 comments Oh, and Alice Hoffman!! Many wonderful books!
Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman The Red Garden by Alice Hoffman The Ice Queen by Alice Hoffman Second Nature by Alice Hoffman

message 7: by Ash (new)

Ash (morethanfairytales) | 63 comments Neil Gaiman has some pretty great stuff in the fantasy genre. Actually, I think that Coraline and The Graveyard Book are considered horror/fantasy, while The Ocean at the End of the Lane falls more into the category of magical realism. Either way, you can't go wrong!

message 8: by Xian Xian (new)

Xian Xian (xianxian) Neil Gaiman, I loved American Gods. I have Stardust, but I heard it's like Lord of the Rings.