Coffee & Books discussion

Discussion Archives > August 2014: The Invention of Wings

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Rachel Jorquera  (racheljorquera) | 2950 comments Mod
The discussion for The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd is here!

Enjoy!

message 2: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 1208 comments I liked this one even better than The Secret Life of Bees. I think Kidd has matured as an author.

message 3: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebeccasg) @Book Concierge - You are right, she has definitely matured.

I think though, this is why I didn't enjoy it as much as The Secret Life of Bees, because I was really hoping for a similar type of story. This one was definitely heavier with many serious issues addressed and very strong characters. Unfortunately I just didn't really get absorbed by this book the way I wanted. It's hard for me to put it into words though.

message 4: by Bree (new)

Bree I really tried to read this book, but after a month I gave up. The main characters were well developed, but I dont think the plot was well developed. It was predictable and a bit too shallow for me, and I just couldnt get into the book.

message 5: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebeccasg) I agree with Bree. It seemed to take a long time to "get into the plot" and I was definitely left expected more of a plot.

message 6: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Hall (wendymayhall) | 70 comments I'm not sure exactly what the plot was? it read more like two people's memoirs - not terrible, just ok - glad I read it but it left me wanting (3 stars)

message 7: by Megan (new)

Megan | 9 comments I agree that this book is cumbersome. The characters are strong but it is lacking in plot. There isn't much substance.

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) This book was alright, but not amazing or anything.