Coffee & Books discussion

Discussion Archives > August 2014: The Princess Bride

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Rachel Jorquera  (racheljorquera) | 2950 comments Mod
The discussion for The Princess Bride by William Goldman is here!

Enjoy!

message 2: by Leanne (new)

Leanne (bookgirl91) Hopefully I'll be signed up for this. I love this book and am way too excited about reading it again

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen GoatKeeper (goodreadscomkaren_goatkeeper) | 100 comments This book sounds like fun. I think I will read it too.

message 4: by Leanne (new)

Leanne (bookgirl91) I think the bromance between Fezzik and Inigo is one of my favourite relationships in a book ever

message 5: by Kristie (new)

Kristie Leanne wrote: "I think the bromance between Fezzik and Inigo is one of my favourite relationships in a book ever"

I love that relationship too. :)

message 6: by Kristie (new)

Kristie This is one of the few books that I think they did an amazing job with the movie. I like the movie better than the book! However, that might be partly because I saw the movie 200 times or so (might be a slight exaggeration) before I read the book. I still liked the book though. Oh, but I definitely liked Buttercup better in the movie. Anyone else read the book and see the movie? What are your thoughts?

message 7: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (morethanfairytales) | 30 comments The movie is phenomenal. It's a classic. When I read the book, I didn't approach it expecting it to come close to the film. What I enjoyed most about the book, I think, was the elaborate con that William Goldman tries to pull off. I was half-convinced that S. Morgenstern was real.

message 8: by Kristie (new)

Kristie I think most people were convinced he was real! :)

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 9 comments Wait.. S. Morgenstern isn't real? I wrote him down to research since I started reading The Princess Bride. lol.

message 10: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (morethanfairytales) | 30 comments Nope! I had to double-check even as I wrote my previous post, but Wikipedia confirmed that he is, in fact, fictional. William Goldman also wrote The Silent Gondoliers under the pseudonym S. Morgenstern.

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 9 comments Ashley wrote: "Nope! I had to double-check even as I wrote my previous post, but Wikipedia confirmed that he is, in fact, fictional. William Goldman also wrote The Silent Gondoliers under the pseudon..."

Man, what a trip. LoL. Enjoying the book and being nostalgic with the movie, but I don't get it. :o) Still loving it.

message 12: by Leanne (new)

Leanne (bookgirl91) Yeah, this is my 5th time reading and luckily before I read this I had read some stuff about it (hence why I first read it) and knew it was a joke. And reading it that way brings in a tonne of humour. Also you should look up what would happen if you sent a letter to the address he put in for getting the extra scene about Buttercup and Westley

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

This is an awesome book! I grew up watching the movie, so when I learned there was a novel, I had to find it and buy it! It's quite different from the movie, but all the best parts are still there. My favourite character is Inigo Montoya, and learning his backstory was a neat aspect.

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) Not a fan, unfortunately. I did not like the style very much.