The Cosy Bookish Corner discussion

Archived BOTM Discussions > July's second most voted book - IT by Stephen King

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tanya, Founder & Moderator (new)

Tanya (tanya23510) | 432 comments Mod
July's second most voted book was It by Stephen King so if anyone is still planning on reading it, please feel free to have a chat about it here!!

message 2: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (kelso30) | 82 comments I'm a fast reader, but I think this one is going to take a while to get through.
Anyone have a favorite character? Do you prefer the story when they are kids or adults?

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sayrawww) | 51 comments Kelsey,

IT was a long read for me too... It's over 1100 pages so totally understandable!

It's hard for me to pick a favorite character! I really enjoyed them all. As far as the kid and adult storylines, I enjoyed both of those too. Although, there is a part near the end of the book in the kids storyline that I thought was strange... I won't give away any spoilers, but let's discuss when you finish!

message 4: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (kelso30) | 82 comments Sarah I have actually read it before, it's been years but I'm surprised at how much I remember, so I'm pretty sure I know the scene your referring to. Definitely takes things to an odd place. But I will hold off on more detailed discussion on that until I finish reading.
I love Beverly. I find Stan to be a rather forgettable, I can never decide if it's because he's in the story less than the others or if it's just him. I like Richie a lot too, the jokes do it for me, and I'm always trying to imagine his imitations.
I can never decide which I can prefer between the adult and kid years either. But I do like the extra tidbits included, like the newspaper articles about other children and stuff. I feel like it pulls me further into the story with so many extra details.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sayrawww) | 51 comments Kelsey wrote: "Sarah I have actually read it before, it's been years but I'm surprised at how much I remember, so I'm pretty sure I know the scene your referring to. Definitely takes things to an odd place. But I..."

Kelsey,

When I first tried reading IT, several years ago, I couldn't finish, but when I picked it back up earlier this year/ late last year I was also surprised by how much I remembered.

I definitely agree about Stan being a more forgettable character, and I also love Beverly and Richie, those were the two I thought about mentioning as my favorite, but there are moments with Bill, Eddie, and Ben that I really liked too. Mike as a child is okay, but I prefer adult Mike as he investigates the past, like the Black Spot. Richie is hilarious though! Beverly is a little badass, especially into her adult years, specifically her intro chapter when she gets the phone call.

I also love the little details given about the town of Derry and all the events that have happened, and all of the hidden references to other Stephen King novels.

message 6: by Tanya, Founder & Moderator (new)

Reading about you two talking about the book is actually really intriguing me! I need to give it a go!

message 7: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (kelso30) | 82 comments Tanya wrote: "Reading about you two talking about the book is actually really intriguing me! I need to give it a go!"

Do it! It's so worth the read. I love Stephen King though so I may be biased. Lol.

message 8: by Tanya, Founder & Moderator (new)

Will do! :)

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sayrawww) | 51 comments Tanya wrote: "Reading about you two talking about the book is actually really intriguing me! I need to give it a go!"
Yes! It's definitely worth it!

If you want to start with something shorter The Long Walk is also fantastic and it's under Stephen King's pseudonym, Richard Bachman. The Long Walk

Kelsey wrote: "I love Stephen King though so I may be biased. ..."

My opinion is biased too! Love Mr. King!

message 10: by Tanya, Founder & Moderator (new)

Thank you! I will check them out!!

message 11: by Olivia (new)

Olivia | 2 comments Kelsey wrote: "I'm a fast reader, but I think this one is going to take a while to get through.
Anyone have a favorite character? Do you prefer the story when they are kids or adults?"

I love Ben and Richie, but all of the characters are fantastic. I do prefer the story when they are kids, though there is definitely a scene towards the ends with the kids that I found very uncomfortable. I think one of my favorite things about Stephen King's books are his characters. I think this is on full display in It. The friendship between the kids is amazing and it really makes you feel like apart of the loser's club.

On a slightly different note, I think the actors who played the kids in the most recent movie adaptation were on point. The friendship between them was incredible and really stole the movie. Does a preference for which adaptation they felt was truer to the book?

message 12: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (kelso30) | 82 comments I haven't seen the new one yet, waiting for part two to come out before I watch. I don't think I'm going to like the new Pennywise as much as they change a lot of his appearance fron the book. But I'm hopeful about the younger cast members. I have caught myself picturing the characters from the old movie as I'm reading, I love the original.

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sayrawww) | 51 comments Olivia wrote: "On a slightly different note, I think the actors who played the kids in the most recent movie adaptation were on point. The friendship between them was incredible and really stole the movie. Does a preference for which adaptation they felt was truer to the book?"

Yes, the new cast members were great! I really enjoyed the new adaptation. I think the original movie is truer to the book, especially the setting, but I think both have its strengths and weaknesses when comparing them to the book.

I'm excited about the next Chapter!

Kelsey wrote: " I don't think I'm going to like the new Pennywise as much as they change a lot of his appearance fron the book. But I'm hopeful about the younger cast members."

Don't give up hope about Pennywise! He's not Tim Curry, but I think Bill Skarsgård plays a very convincing PW!

message 14: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (kelso30) | 82 comments Sarah wrote: "Olivia wrote: "On a slightly different note, I think the actors who played the kids in the most recent movie adaptation were on point. The friendship between them was incredible and really stole th..."

I am enjoying him on that new Hulu show Castle Rock, so def willing to give him a chance. He has a face for stephen king/tim burton stuff in my opinion. But I do appreciate movies that really try to stay true to the books. But of course the book is almost always better. Lol.

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sayrawww) | 51 comments Kelsey wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Olivia wrote: "On a slightly different note, I think the actors who played the kids in the most recent movie adaptation were on point. The friendship between them was incredible and r..."

I've been wanting to check out Castle Rock; it looks really good! I definitely agree with you he has that King/Burton type of face, LOL. I appreciate movies that stay true to the books too. It can make or break the experience if the movie adaptation is completely off! I recently read "Annihilation" by Jeff VanderMeer and immediately went to see the movie after reading it...The movie wasn't at all what I was hoping for. :-(

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Long Walk (other topics)
It (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Stephen King (other topics)