Infinite Summer 2018 discussion

128-135 - beat passage?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Buchbinder | 11 comments This has always been my least favorite passage to read of the book for obvious reasons but I've grown to appreciate it because I think it is a great demonstration of his proficiency as a writer, like DFW could channel the voice of any writer he wants at will. What do you all think?

message 2: by Paloma (new)

Paloma R | 1 comments This is my first time reading IJ and to date this was my least favourite passage. I found it very difficult to read and ended up reading a portion of it aloud so that I could sort of understand what’s going on. I’m still not 100% sure that I caught everything in this passage. Most likely due to my own frustrations of reading it. Although, I will admit that it’s impressive when writers are able to write how people speak. For example, the French writer Michel Tremblay often writes in what is called joual which was associated with the French working class in Montréal and thus mostly slang. This passage reminded me of his work which I don’t enjoy very much to be honest!

message 3: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Brown | 12 comments Yeah this bit can be a challenge but I like it a lot. It's so intense and unnerving. Reminds me of Faulkner or someone!