Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Light of All That Falls (The Licanius Trilogy, #3)
This topic is about The Light of All That Falls
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > The Light of All That Falls [Dec 10, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7557 comments Mod
This is a Buddy Read for The Light of All That Falls by James Islington starting February 19, 2019*.
The Light of All That Falls (The Licanius Trilogy, #3) by James Islington

*Subject to change if the release date is delayed again.

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Hopefully there are no more delays!

message 3: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Fingers crossed.

message 4: by Hailee (last edited Jul 03, 2018 01:20PM) (new)

Hailee | 2612 comments On Amazon UK its showing the release date as July 18th 2019. Is it different in the US? I know that the US and the UK can often have different publication dates on books.

message 5: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

One of the formats on my end is still showing August. It's clear no one has any idea what the publisher is doing. We'll adjust the schedule if we can get some consistency

message 6: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

That would be epic though if you got it early. I might have to move there.

message 7: by Hailee (new)

Hailee | 2612 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "That would be epic though if you got it early. I might have to move there."

We'd be getting it 5 months later than you. Its being released July 2019 not 2018 unfortunately :-(

message 8: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Omg I misread that!!! Shoot.

Well, I have an extra bunk in my house. ;P

There's still hope that there's just an inconsistency so we'll see if it evens out. That would suck.

message 9: by Hailee (new)

Hailee | 2612 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "Omg I misread that!!! Shoot.

Well, I have an extra bunk in my house. ;P

There's still hope that there's just an inconsistency so we'll see if it evens out. That would suck."

Haha thanks fro the offer I'll bear it in mind. This is why I try to avoid a lot of unfinished series until I see the final book physically in the store. I'm reading A Plague of Giants right now I'm already bummed that there isn't more from the series, book two hasn't even got a tentative date yet.

On top of that because I hate hardbacks I generally have to wait up to an additional year for the paperback release until I can read it. that's the thing that really sucks for me. I really want to read Starless but its only available in hardback or kindle at the moments so its a no go.

message 10: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

It's become a real problem for me too. Not least of which the fact that I feel like I need to reread. And yet here I go starting a bunch of new ones this month.

Luckily I get a lot of mine on audio via the library, so the format thing doesn't bug me as much as it could. But waiting for the right format is rough.

message 11: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
In, whenever it is.

message 12: by Saar The Book owl (last edited Jul 04, 2018 04:29AM) (new) - added it

Saar The Book owl | 2057 comments On The Book Depository it shows that the release date will be 9th August.

@Hailee: I don't usely buy series too and now I have a couple of unfinished ones, so that's a bit annoying. That's a bit of a problem with this genre: the author dies or the publisher changes or the author stops writing in the midst of a serie, without knowing if it will continue or not.

message 13: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Saar wrote: "On The Book Depository it shows that the release date will be 9th August.

@Hailee: I don't usely buy series too and now I have a couple of unfinished ones, so that's a bit annoying. That's a bit o..."

Aug 9th was the original release date but we have reason to believe it got pushed back and the book sites just haven't caught up yet.

message 14: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Amazon almost always has it right and that's listed as Feb 19th of next year so until they update it that's what I'm planning on.

Saar The Book owl | 2057 comments Ah, now I understand :)

Emily | 306 comments Spot! Can't wait!

message 17: by Virginie (new) - added it

Virginie | 5795 comments A little heads-up: I just checked the author's website. February 19th, 2019 is the release date he announced 6 months ago. He had to make major changes since, and so the writing is taking longer than expected.

In his latest update, he announced a submission to Orbit around November 2018 for a release around July 2019!

Emily | 306 comments Virginie wrote: "A little heads-up: I just checked the author's website. February 19th, 2019 is the release date he announced 6 months ago. He had to make major changes since, and so the writing is taking longer th..."

Oh no, I don't know if I can wait that long!! At least we know it will be good since he's putting so much work into it.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 1338 comments I can't wait!! Woot!! I hope I have time to reread the first two but I doubt it 😕

message 20: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Someone may have noted this already, but the release date is currently sitting at Dec 10, 2019. sigh...

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 1338 comments Yes, I got an email from Amazon 😕 All the books I want to read are being pushed back and I'm nervous and sad!

message 22: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

I hate it when they do that. At least there’s a good chance this one will actually get published. And will be even better for the delay.

message 24: by Virginie (last edited Dec 07, 2018 01:45AM) (new) - added it

Virginie | 5795 comments Usually when books are pushed back again and again like that, I check the author's blog/website to see what they say about this. In this case, Islington stated he had to rework some chapters over and over 'cause he wasn't satisfied, hence the delay.

His latest update:
Great news to round out the year – TLoaTF has now been submitted to Orbit!

This, while not the end of work to do on the book, is certainly a major milestone: I’m feeling confident about the state of the final draft, and feedback from beta readers has been excellent too. There’ll no doubt be more to do after my editors are let loose on it, but – unless I’m a long way off-base with my impressions of everything at the moment – we’re not too far from being done!

So to the release date. As it now stands, it’s December 10, 2019: almost exactly one year away. I can’t say whether or not that might move up if everything goes smoothly during editing, but I see absolutely no reason for it getting pushed back any further. If it does change for any reason, I’ll post about it here.

And for those who are curious about the audiobook version, the intent is absolutely to be launching alongside print and ebook, with the excellent Michael Kramer returning as narrator.

YAAAAY :D

message 25: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Virginie wrote: "Usually when books are pushed back again and again like that, I check the author's blog/website to see what they say about this. In this case, Islington stated he had to rework some chapters over a..."

Yaaaaasssss!!! Thank you Virginie! :D

message 26: by Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ (last edited Dec 07, 2018 12:23PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 1338 comments Yes, most authors list that in their blogs. I figured it was the same for this one. Just means there is more time to reread the first two 😄

message 27: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ wrote: "Yes, most authors list that in their blogs. I figured it was the same for this one. Just means there is more time to reread the first two 😄"

Great point haha.

message 28: by Virginie (new) - added it

Virginie | 5795 comments Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ wrote: "Yes, most authors list that in their blogs."

Well, it's a very sound defense strategy to avoid being lynched by impatient fans xD

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 1338 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ wrote: "Yes, most authors list that in their blogs. I figured it was the same for this one. Just means there is more time to reread the first two 😄"

Great point haha."

Of course we will be reading a million other books and no time fo re reads. 😂🤣

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 1338 comments Virginie wrote: "Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ wrote: "Yes, most authors list that in their blogs."

Well, it's a very sound defense strategy to avoid being lynched by impatient fans xD"

That's right 😄

message 31: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (last edited Jan 01, 2019 08:05PM) (new) - added it

Margret | 3170 comments Mod
bump- rescheduled on the master

message 32: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 3 stars

Timelord Iain | 17971 comments Mod
That Summary was 45 minutes on audio... like a youtube video... I think I learned things, just listening to the summary, that I missed while listening to book 2...

On chapter 5 now, and so many things are going on... I can’t wait to see how it all plays out...

I see I’m not the only one late to the party... I haven’t been very present at any of my BRs this month...

Saar The Book owl | 2057 comments I still need to read the second one and order the third one. It will be for next year to continue.

Emily | 306 comments I'm about 150 pages from the end. So far it's my least favorite of the three books. I loved both 1 and 2!

message 35: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 3 stars

Emily wrote: "I'm about 150 pages from the end. So far it's my least favorite of the three books. I loved both 1 and 2!"

There's just so much going on... sometimes I think my audiobook is jumping ahead when I pause... but other times I rewind 30 seconds and it hasn't really... just to be sure, I've done most of my listening at home, where I have time for rewinding...

Most notable thing, to me, has been the confirmation of a fan theory I read (view spoiler)

message 36: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (last edited Dec 31, 2019 11:13AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

There's this 1 star review, that I kinda feel like encapsulates my feelings about the book, which I'm probably going to give 3 stars...

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

The only reason I was considering 4, is because I'm halfway through the epilogue, and the epilogue has been great/amazing... but an epilogue can't save a book that I just didn't feel engaged in for much of...

message 37: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 3 stars

Last Page: I knew it... this might be more proveable if I'd said something halfway through the book, but I started to suspect (view spoiler)