SSJCPL (Stockton-San Joaquin County Public Library) discussion

Reading Discussions > East of Eden

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brianna (new)

Brianna Anderson | 142 comments Mod
It looks like East of Eden by John Steinbeck won the vote this time. After East of Eden will be City of Brass. East of Eden is supposed to be John Steinbeck's more autobiographical work. I can't wait to start!

message 2: by Brianna (new)

So far East of Eden is honestly blowing my mind. One, I've been researching about how he got around the censor since this book was published in 1952 and have found that this novel was a smash with the public, but less so with the critics.
I am very much enjoying the gender switch of the traditional "evil" character and navigating my feelings towards her. Cathy is a complex character, as Steinbeck notes, and it's hard to categorize her as any one thing. What are your thoughts on Cathy so far?

message 3: by Monica (new)

Monica (monicals) | 7 comments Cathy may be the most insidious character I have ever read about! This book is totally absorbing. I love the description of the Salinas Valley, so close to us.

message 4: by Brianna (new)

She very much is. I like the word insidious to describe her. It fits perfectly! She's so calculated in her movements and actions. I also love the descriptions of the Salinas Valley and how Steinbeck shows modernization throughout the Valley and throughout the country.

message 5: by Rochelle (new)

Rochelle (rochellew) | 1 comments East of Eden was great! I could not put it down. Steinbeck really gave us a look into the complexity of his characters. I don't think I disliked a character as much as Cathy. I thought this was underlying Cain and Abel story. Reading about the areas of California which are familiar, (Salinas, San Joaquin) makes me come back to Steinbeck.

message 6: by Brianna (new)

Agreed! Cathy is such an unlikable character yet I felt bad for her in a way. Her inability to trust and feel compassion left her a very bland, horrible kind of life. I definitely picked up on a lot of religious overtones in East of Eden, both Adam and Eve, with Cathy basically eating the apple and ruining Adam's Eden, and with Cain and Abel both with Adam and his brother Charles and with Adam's twin boys. East of Eden made me want to read more Steinbeck as well. Maybe we can for a future book! :)