Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Randi's June Reads

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Randi (new)

Randi The Swimming Pool
This book frustrated me. The main characters were overprotective parents, seriously boring, and hard to like or relate to. The story was OK, but definitely could have been better.

My Husband's Wife
The story in this book was perhaps a little far-fetched, but overall it was a good book.

The Chalk Man
I was excited to read this one since there had been a lot of hype for it, but it really fell flat for me. There were a couple spots where it looked promising, but overall, it was a slow read and not that engaging.

Unraveling Oliver
I had heard great things about this book and again, it was only OK. I can't put a finger on any one things I loved or hated about it.

The Silent Wife
I forced myself through half of this book and then quit. It was so incredibly slow. It is called a "chilling psychological thriller" but I just don't know how that is possible, unless it happened to pick up after page 128.

Sleeping Beauties
Best book I read all month! It was such a good story, slightly creepy but not horrifying, and it makes me want to pick up another King book ASAP.

The Bat
Started this one right at the end of June, but haven't finished it just yet - didn't get much reading done over the long weekend. It looks promising though.

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1346 comments Randi, I read The Chalk Man and agree with you.

message 3: by Karly (new)

Karly | 342 comments Was contemplating reading the Chalk man but wasn’t sure since I heard mixed feelings. Based on this, I think I’ll hold off. Too many other things to read!

message 4: by Randi (new)

Randi Karly wrote: "Was contemplating reading the Chalk man but wasn’t sure since I heard mixed feelings. Based on this, I think I’ll hold off. Too many other things to read!"

Yes! If you were really stuck for something to read, you could pick it up. But if your list looks anything like mine, I would definitely recommend something else!

message 5: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8310 comments Randi, glad to hear Sleeping Beauties is worth listening to, it's on my (audio) TBR stack. Have had The Bat on my TBR for years but never gotten around to it, will be interested to hear your thoughts.

message 6: by Randi (new)

Randi Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Randi, glad to hear Sleeping Beauties is worth listening to, it's on my (audio) TBR stack. Have had The Bat on my TBR for years but never gotten around to it, will b..."

I am about 100 pages into The Bat and it is really good so far. Slow burn, but not in a bad way.

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 15088 comments Nice list Randi: I also liked Sleeping Beauties and personally really liked The Chalk Man too; but as they say "mileage may vary" and we don't have to all like the same books.

message 8: by Ceelee (new)

Ceelee | 211 comments I have been working on Sleeping Beauties awhile! For me, there are just too many POVs! The focus has changed in the 400s so it is getting interesting again. I will never buy a Stephen King novel in hardcover again!Tooo hard for me to hold them for any length of time beyond an hour. AAUGH!

message 9: by Randi (new)

Randi Randi wrote: "Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Randi, glad to hear Sleeping Beauties is worth listening to, it's on my (audio) TBR stack. Have had The Bat on my TBR for years but never gotte..."

yes, exactly! I don't like to look at too many reviews since it can vary so much person to person

message 10: by Randi (new)

Randi Ann wrote: "Nice list Randi: I also liked Sleeping Beauties and personally really liked The Chalk Man too; but as they say "mileage may vary" and we don't have to all like the s..."

the multiple POV is certainly not for everyone. and I agree.. might get the next 700 page book on my kindle haha

message 11: by Randi (new)

Randi Randi wrote: "Karly wrote: "Was contemplating reading the Chalk man but wasn’t sure since I heard mixed feelings. Based on this, I think I’ll hold off. Too many other things to read!"

Yes! If you were really st..."

Carol, THE BAT was very good! Each time you think you have the murderer, there is another twist. I am interested to read more by Nesbo!

message 12: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8310 comments Okay, thanks, Randi, I'm on it!