Reese's Book Club x Hello Sunshine discussion

Next Year in Havana
This topic is about Next Year in Havana
Next Year in Havana > Favorite Moments

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hello (new) - added it

Hello Sunshine | 58 comments Mod
What are your favorite moments in the book? Any great quotes that you love?

Iveth Ordóñez | 3 comments Hello!! I just started the book, and I liked every part I have read. (Sorry about my English, my native language is Spanish 🙈)

message 3: by Kathleen (new) - added it

Kathleen | 4 comments I have loved every part of this book so far it hard to put down it is so good.

Scilla (scillalee) | 2 comments I really loved that Cuba came to life in this book! All I wanted was a mixed rum drink and dark skinned man wearing a hat with an classy car! I just felt like it pulled me right into Elisa’s time!

Mariea Lastinger | 1 comments Just started listening on audible. So excited as this is my 1st ever audiobook. I usually like the old fashioned book in hand.

Librarian Anna (thelibrariananna) I think my favorite part about this is that Elisa and Marisol have such distinct voices that really bring their culture and the time period that they're in to life. On the audiobook, having the two voice actresses make it even more realistic and amazing!

Jennifer Johnson (jenrazzle) | 2 comments I loved this book so much! My favorite quote (paraphrased) was: "When everyone is equal, some are more equal than others." Stunning. I haven't read a book that I felt was super quotable for a while and really appreciated how much a lot of it resonated with me.

I also really loved the definition of Ojala. I currently live in Guatemala and am (and always will be) learning Spanish, and Ojala is something I've never fully understood. The definition in the book helped me understand it on a deeper level.

NikkiGirl (nikkigirl04) | 2 comments Loved this book! I loved how the book went back and forth between Marisol and Elisa. So many wonderful moments, I don't want to give away spoilers for those that are still reading.

Valerie (darthval) | 8 comments I love the early moments between Elisa and Pablo, when they both know that it is not great timing or circumstances, and yet they are drawn to one another. I thought she captured that first blush of love quite nicely.

There are also so many scenes where the author paints such a vivid picture of Cuba. Even though I was listening to the audiobook, I felt like I was experiencing vibrant colors, textures, breezes, tastes, and smells.

Also, the scene where Luis and Marisol are pulled from the streets was so urgent and tense. I felt very caught up in that moment of the book.

Laurieanna Sicius | 5 comments I adored the world this book lured me into. It's as if I was taken away on a vacation to Havana in the 1950s without ever having to leave my couch. This book is best read with the faint sound of The Buena Vista Social club playing in the background. My only regret is that I can't read it for the first time again.