101 Books to Read Before You Die discussion

The Big Sleep
This topic is about The Big Sleep
Completed Reads > The Big Sleep - Chapters 25-32

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Alana (alanasbooks) | 1189 comments Mod
Discuss the final chapters of The Big Sleep.

Mike | 318 comments Mod
This novel spawned a whole genre of noir crime and those echoes are still found today. The Big Lebowski is a great recent example. However the book is blatantly homophobic & misogynistic which reflected societal views at the time of writing but ring very hollow today. The book to me is a flawed gem.

Irene | 1391 comments Well, this was a nice break from the books I usually read. I enjoyed the use of slang, the way Chandler captures the ethos of a particular decade and place. But, I have to laugh at the way Marlowe can walk in and out of any setting, no matter how hostile, how many weapons are trained on him, no matter how dangerous and never sustain any serious injuries. People die all around him, but no bullets get him. He can deduce the solution to mysteries that baffle police for years. And, he is so unflappable. Not exactly realistic, but fun.

Alana (alanasbooks) | 1189 comments Mod
I enjoyed it in some ways, but for some reason, the characters just didn't engage me, I'm not sure why. I was really ready to be done with it by the time I got to the end. Maybe I just didn't find any of them believable?