The New Weird discussion

The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steven (new)

Steven | 91 comments Mod
I'm reading this now. Has anyone else had to the opportunity to read this?

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 30 comments I have it but haven't started it yet. How do u like it so far? I've heard good things

message 3: by Steven (new)

Steven | 91 comments Mod
I finished a collection of essays by Michael Chabon recently and was very impressed. I'm 70 pages in and so far I'd have to label it as mildly enjoyable. It won the Hugo so I was expecting more. Still, I'm not very far into it, so I don't want to make any hasty judgements.

What are you reading?

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 30 comments I'm reading quite a few books- one real interesting one is Child of the River: The First Book of the Confluence by Paul McAuley. It's very original and I'm liking it a lot. Also The Urth of the New Sun by Gene wolfe. Earthquake Weather by Tim Powers- this is the 3rd book in a trilogy of his. Have you ever read any of his books? He is so unique and an amazing writer- one of my all-time favorites. The other books I'm reading are on my currently reading list on my profile.

message 5: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan | 18 comments Steven wrote: "I'm reading this now. Has anyone else had to the opportunity to read this?"

I read it and loved it. I also read The Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. And gentlmen of the Road. Had my Chabon binge this time last year.

message 6: by Steven (new)

Steven | 91 comments Mod
It's definitely not New Weird, but I'm enjoying Yiddish Policeman's Union a lot. I'm sad you're not around for me to plunder your book collection.

message 7: by Steven (new)

Steven | 91 comments Mod
Amanda wrote: "I'm reading quite a few books- one real interesting one is Child of the River: The First Book of the Confluence by Paul McAuley. It's very original and I'm liking it a lot. Also The Urth of the N..."

Okay, Tim Powers is next. This is like the third time he's been suggested.