Springfield-Greene County Library District discussion

July ReadUps: Books made into movies

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

A new month means a new ReadUps topic!

In July, we'll discuss books made into movies. Books adapted into TV shows and miniseries will also be fair game for discussion.

Here's a grand list from other Goodreads users, if you need inspiration for choosing a book.

message 2: by Teri Leigh (new)

Teri Leigh  Baird | 2 comments My favorite is The Accidental Tourist by Anne Tyler. The movie staring William Hurt tried its best to stay true to the book.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Teri Leigh wrote: "My favorite is The Accidental Tourist by Anne Tyler. The movie staring William Hurt tried its best to stay true to the book."

"Tried its best," haha! I haven't read NOR seen that one. How did it do? Was there anything specific that was left out or changed?

message 4: by Emily (new)

Emily | 26 comments I have a movie that was adapted into a book that has always bothered me. The movie Penelope with Christina Ricci and James McAvoy. I loved it. Penelope is so stylish. She wants to be a horticulturist in the movie but is something else in the book. This change has no influence on the plot but it bothers me so much! Why did they change it? Why!?

I'm glad I finally got a chance to rant about this.

message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily | 26 comments The adaptation of Cornelia Funke's The Thief Lord was pretty good. I even liked the ending of the movie better than the book. It was pretty page for page right up until the end.

message 6: by Sam (last edited Jul 09, 2018 09:12AM) (new)

Sam | 7 comments I loved The Martian both the book and the movie adaptation. I wonder if Andy Weir's other book Artemis will also be made into a movie?
Another successful adaptation was Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. I absolutely loved the 2016 television series, so I decided to read Douglas Adams' Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. They were very different but had the same feel - a win-win for me as I got to experience something I liked again. I'm planning on reading the next in the series The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul the next time I need a pick me up.

message 7: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Jones (lowrider_dlj) | 3 comments Since I just finished Jurassic Park that one is standing out to me right now. I also really like a lot of the Nicholas sparks books that have turned into movies.

message 8: by Heather (last edited Jul 09, 2018 07:01AM) (new)

Heather | 33 comments Sam wrote: "I loved The Martian both the book and the movie adaptation. I wonder if Andy Weir's other book Artemis will also be made into a movie?

I also really love the film adaptation of The Martian, which surprised me because I love the book and usually I'm disappointed by the movie versions of books I like. But I loved them both!

I also love both the book and film versions of Ready Player One. I think that's a controversial opinion because there are some big changes in the movie, but I still thought it was a ton of fun.

message 9: by Sam (last edited Jul 09, 2018 09:20AM) (new)

Sam | 7 comments Heather wrote: I also love both the book and film versions of Ready Player One. I think that's a controversial opinion because there are some big changes in the movie, but I still thought it was a ton of fun.

I'm not letting myself watch the movie until I read the book on that one. I've heard such good things!

message 10: by Emily (new)

Emily | 26 comments Sam wrote: "I loved The Martian both the book and the movie adaptation. I wonder if Andy Weir's other book Artemis will also be made into a movie?
Another successful adaptation..."

The Martian is one of my favorites too! I read the book so quickly and the movie did not disappoint!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Another recent adaptation that I thought really nailed it was Gone Girl. True to the book, and got a bunch of people reading the book that probably wouldn't have otherwise.

I was pretty impressed with the Annihilation movie that came out earlier this summer. It seemed like a book that would be impossible to make into a movie. I generally like Alex Garland movies, so that probably helped me accept all the changes that were made to the story.

message 12: by Janice (new)

Janice | 56 comments I recently downloaded "The Wife" by Meg Woltzer, and am going to read it for another group on Goodreads that also has as one of their challenges reading a book and watching the movie made from that book. But the movie won't be out until mid August, so guess I will not be able to use it for this July challenge. I will keep looking through the list that was provided.

message 13: by Sam (new)

Sam | 7 comments Miranda wrote: "I was pretty impressed with the Annihilation movie that came out earlier this summer. It seemed like a book that would be impossible to make into a movie. I generally like Alex Garland movies, so that probably helped me accept all the changes that were made to the story.

I read the book years ago so I couldn't tell you what was different in the movie version, but that bear was something! I'm still blown away by it.