75 Books...More or Less! discussion

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)
Book Buddies Harry Potter SERIES > Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited Jul 05, 2018 05:40AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 7998 comments Mod
This thread is to talk about Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, the first book in the Harry Potter series!

Intro Questions:
Are you reading or are you listening?
How many times have you read this?
How many times have you listened to this?
Have you watched the movie?

message 2: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited Jul 25, 2018 05:20AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Listening!
Oooh, I didn't start reading HP until I think book 3 came out and then I re-read the whole series before each new book came out so...5 times?
First time! I'm excited for the new experience of such a favorite!
Again, re-watched each movie before the each new movie came out and I've definitely watched it out of turn too so probably 9 or 10 times.

message 3: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

I've started it this morning on my long drive! So...one nit-picky thing about Jim Dale's narration, his pronunciation of some names: Rubeus (Ru-bayus), Daedalus (Dee-dalus), Diagon (Di-agin), even Gryffindor (Gryffinder)!

❤Marie Gentilcore (rachelx) | 99 comments Elyse wrote: "I've started it this morning on my long drive! So...one nit-picky thing about Jim Dale's narration, his pronunciation of some names: Rubeus (Ru-bayus), Daedalus (Dee-dalus), Diagon (Di-agin), even ..."

Hahaha, glad you warned me about that. I'm so used to the movie pronunciations so hopefully it won't bother me too much. I remember a narrator for Game of Thrones who made some pronounced some names a little different than the show, I eventually got used to it as I had no other choice, hahaha.

❤Marie Gentilcore (rachelx) | 99 comments Here are my answers to intro questions:

Listening!
Have not read any of the books :(
First time!
So many times that I lost count. Saw at the theater and at home.

message 6: by Kerry (new) - added it

Kerry Dusablon (kaesmmtd720810) | 7 comments Reading
Will be a reread
None
Saw some but not all

message 7: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

This is such a fun trip down memory lane! I'm on chapter 11, it's just past Halloween. (view spoiler)

message 8: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

I finished! Delightful! Fun to experience this book in a new way. I felt like I was watching the movie. :) I am surprised at how closely the first movie follows the book!

message 9: by Stacie (last edited Aug 03, 2018 06:00AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Stacie (stacieh) | 1825 comments Are you reading or are you listening?
Probably a mixture, listening on my commute and just before bedtime (because who doesn't love a bedtime story!) and reading on my breaks.
How many times have you read this? Oh, goodness, I think I've lost count! I started with the third one, a few months before the fourth one released, and I've revisited them in one form or the other approximately once a year since (every time a new book or movie would come out I'd reread them)
How many times have you listened to this? I have no idea, so many times. Funny story: sometimes we dogsit a VERY anxious blue heeler, and Zoe finds this audiobook soothing so every time she's over it's running in the background!
Have you watched the movie? Yes, I watched each one in the theater, and I do own them, but I prefer the book :)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1825 comments Elyse wrote: "I've started it this morning on my long drive! So...one nit-picky thing about Jim Dale's narration, his pronunciation of some names: Rubeus (Ru-bayus), Daedalus (Dee-dalus), Diagon (Di-agin), even ..." Haha! I listened to these audiobooks before the movie came out so I had the opposite problem. The movie pronunciations irked me, lol

Stacie (stacieh) | 1825 comments ❤Marie wrote: "Here are my answers to intro questions:

Have not read any of the books :(

I'm so excited for you! I wish I could read them for the first time again :D I loved coming across all the names for the first time, lol

message 12: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stacie wrote: "Haha! I listened to these audiobooks before the movie came out so I had the opposite problem. The movie pronunciations irked me, lol..."

lol that's funny!

message 13: by Lori (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lori | 411 comments Intro Questions:
Reading

How many times have you read ..."
2 times

How many times have you listened?
More than 5, it was my sons favorite book, so we had to listened to it whenever we drove anywhere.

Yes, several times. First in the theatre and then bought the movie when it came out and have watched it as a family many times

Stacie (stacieh) | 1825 comments I forgot to post when I finished this one- I just jumped straight into Chamber, lol. This one was mostly listened to and I was reminded of how much I enjoy Jim Dale's narration (I'd like to get my hands on the British release some day- I'd like to hear Stephen Fry's take on it!).

message 15: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stacie wrote: "I forgot to post when I finished this one- I just jumped straight into Chamber, lol. This one was mostly listened to and I was reminded of how much I enjoy Jim Dale's narration (I'd like to get my ..."

I would *love* to hear Stephen Fry's narration!!! I have the Sherlock Holmes mammoth audio collection narrated by Stephen Fry and I can't wait to dive into it!

message 16: by Andrea, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Andrea | 4140 comments Mod
Reading and Listening on this one

I think this is number three for this one

I have listened/half read this one.

How many times have you watched the movie?
I have not watched the whole movie yet. I did see some of it when I was babysitting after it was newly released. I plan to watch the movies after I finish the books.