Grab a Book & Play Booktivity! discussion

What Are You Reading? > Reviews - July 2018 - Blueberries, Blueberries, Blueberries

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2892 comments Mod

Read any good books lately that fit our monthly theme? Here's the place to share your opinions / reactions / recommendations.

This month's theme was suggested by Patty -
Blueberries, Blueberries, Blueberries - Read a book with a predominantly blue cover

Be sure to post the COVER image with your review.

Happy reading!

message 2: by Book Concierge (new)

The Terra-Cotta Dog (Inspector Montalbano, #2) by Andrea Camilleri
The Terra-Cotta Dog – Andrea Camilleri – 3.5***
Book two in the Inspector Montalbano series has him solving a 50-year-old crime. Montalbano is a wonderful lead character. He doesn’t suffer fools gladly, nor sweat the small stuff. He’s intelligent, a loyal friend and is always ready to find the humor in a situation, no matter how dire. Camilleri populates the novel with an assortment of colorful characters that complicate Montalbano’s life. Interesting, engaging and entertaining. I’ll keep reading the series.
LINK to my review

message 3: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Lott | 374 comments Exit West by Mohsin Hamid
Exit West by Mohsin Hamid -4***
I seldom do book reviews, but this was a very contemporary book in light of the world's current immigration issues, and beautifully written at that. The main characters, Nadia and Saeed, meet and live in what sounds like Syria with terrorists creeping into neighborhoods bit by bit, until the residents are bombed out and forced to move. What's intriguing are the doors through which immigrants enter and emerge into a new country, turning the book into a "fantasy". I first read it in print and then listened to it--I think it takes both to appreciate the beauty of the language!

message 4: by Book Concierge (new)

Marilyn wrote: "Exit West by Mohsin Hamid
Exit West by Mohsin Hamid -4***
I seldom do book reviews, but this was a very contemporary book in light of the world's current immigra..."

I'm on the L*O*N*G hold list for the audio at my library ...

message 5: by Koren (last edited Jul 09, 2018 01:41PM) (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 546 comments Moonlight on Linoleum: A Daughter's Memoir by Terry Helwigv 5 stars Moonlight on Linoleum A Daughter's Memoir by Terry Helwig

I loved this coming of age memoir about a mother-daughter relationship and the dysfunctional family. The mother is very unstable. She moves from relationship to relationship and town to town and takes her children with her. At times the daughter is the one holding the family together when the parents are unable. She seems to have more maturity in her grade school years than the parents. At times this was a tear-jerker when the mother would take the kids away from relatives that truly loved them. The author went to at least 12 schools in her 12 years of schooling. It always amazes me when people overcome traumatic childhoods. I loved the relationship she had with her sisters and how they came first no matter what. If you liked Jeannette Walls Glass Castles you will like this book.

message 6: by Carol (new)

Carol | 2626 comments Room by Emma Donoghue
Room by Emma Donoghue
5 ★

Held captive for years in a small shed, a woman and her precocious young son finally gain their freedom, and the boy experiences the outside world for the first time. To five-year-old-Jack, Room is the world. . . . It's where he was born, it's where he and his Ma eat and sleep and play and learn. At night, his Ma shuts him safely in the wardrobe, where he is meant to be asleep when Old Nick visits. Room is home to Jack, but to Ma it's the prison where she has been held for seven years. Through her fierce love for her son, she has created a life for him in this eleven-by-eleven-foot space. But with Jack's curiosity building alongside her own desperation, she knows that Room cannot contain either much longer. Room is a tale at once shocking, riveting, exhilarating--a story of unconquerable love in harrowing circumstances, and of the diamond-hard bond between a mother and her child.

We meet Jack on his fifth birthday and through his eyes we watch how he and Ma survive - by playing, singing, reading, talking, and most of all, from keeping Old Nick, their captor, from getting angry. Jack and Ma live in a tiny world with routines and habits, and for Jack, it is how the world is suppose to be. But when a series of events occur that changes everything, Jack and Ma must adjust and learn a new way to cope. The story tells not only the seemingly limitless bounds of depravity that the human race is capable of but also the limitless love and and bond and what that love and bond will do to protect that child. I see the book is also on film so I will be looking for the DVD.

message 7: by Donna (new)

Donna | 437 comments The Trapped Girl (Tracy Crosswhite, #4) by Robert Dugoni by Robert Dugoni

An excellent book! It is tautly written, with many surprises. Twists and turns in the plot were well done, and every time I thought I had it figured out, a new twist popped up. I recommend it to those who want to get lost in an engaging roller coaster plot that keeps you guessing.

message 8: by Book Concierge (new)

Left Neglected by Lisa Genova Left Neglected by Lisa Genova
Left Neglected – Lisa Genova – 3***
As she has done for other neurological disorders, Genova crafts a compelling story that educates and entertains. I felt Sarah’s frustrations as she worked with occupational therapists to try to regain some of her lost functionality. I empathized with her inability to let go of the high expectations she set for herself. I thought the book was interesting and informative, but not as compelling as some of her other works.
LINK to my review

message 9: by Donna (last edited Jul 20, 2018 06:16PM) (new)

Donna | 437 comments Every Note Played by Lisa Genova by Lisa Genova

A concert pianist develops ALS and eventually moves back into to the home of his ex wife. I was completely pulled into this beautiful, tragic story (although neither of the main characters was particularly lovable).

message 10: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 546 comments Andy and Don: The Making of a Friendship and a Classic American TV Show by Daniel de Vise

Andy and Don The Making of a Friendship and a Classic American TV Show by Daniel de Visé

I hadn't watched The Andy Griffith Show for years but your book caught my eye and I found a station still showing it. I didn't realize Barney called Andy 'Ange' on the show. I'm now watching the show with new eyes. It was interesting that Andy Griffith and Don Knotts were friends in real life. There are no holds barred in this book. The author did an amazing job of research for this book. Interesting that we dont find out until the end of the book that he did have some 'ins' as he is the brother of Andy's third wife. We see them with all their amazing talents and personalities, but also their fallibilities. Very well-written and interesting from beginning to end. It was fun to learn things about this show that I didn't know before. Didn't we all want to live in a 'Mayberry'!

message 11: by Donna (last edited Jul 24, 2018 04:05AM) (new)

Donna | 437 comments Earlier in the month I read these two Blueberries:
Less by Andrew Sean Greer Less Less, by Andrew Sean Greer

I read this book because it was given the Pulitzer Prize. Also, it was "supposed to be" funny. I found it slightly humorous, but mostly a rather depressing read, I gave it 2 stars because the writing is very good, but I did not care for the book.

Maybe in Another Life by Taylor Jenkins Reid Maybe in Another Life by Taylor Jenkins Reed

I enjoyed this book, because of the unique sort of "choose your own adventure" style. It is told in alternating chapters, explaining what happened if the protagonist chose "A" and what happened if she chose "B". I thought it was clever and interesting.

message 12: by Book Concierge (new)

The Road by Cormac McCarthy
The Road – Cormac McCarthy – 3***
A man and his son wander a desolate and destroyed American landscape after some unnamed world-wide disaster has pretty much killed off most of the earth’s population and destroyed the environment. I don’t need a happy ending in order to appreciate and like a book. But I do need to feel some sense of purpose to the story, and I couldn’t figure out what McCarthy was trying to impart. Still, there is something about McCarthy’s writing that captivates me. I like his spare style. I like the way he paints the landscape so that I feel I am living in the novel (even if it’s a horrible place to be). I think he’s one of those author’s whose works I appreciate, even when I don’t particularly like them.
LINK to my review

message 13: by Lynn (new)

Lynn The Deal of a Lifetime by Fredrik Backman
The Deal of a Lifetime - Fredrik Backman - 5 stars

This is a holiday story. Sort of. I think of it more as a human story. It's a story I feel everyone should read, regardless of faith or religion. It really spoke to my soul. It was short, very short, but very much worth the read. I don't know how to describe it really. You just need to read it :)

message 14: by Jaret (last edited Jul 28, 2018 03:49PM) (new)

Jaret | 210 comments No Way Back by Andrew Gross by Andrew Gross
3 stars
my cover is a very dark navy blue

from my library's catalog: Wendy Gould, an experienced ex-cop, is the only witness to a murder. Lauritzia Velez, a devoted nanny, is also in hiding with a deadly secret. These two women with nothing in common will join forces and find the truth to save their lives.

my thoughts: This book started off slowly, otherwise it would have gotten a higher rating. Once Gross tied the two women's storylines together, though, the action picked up and the story became a page turner. The ending was weak, but was probably the most realistic part of the story. Overall, I enjoyed the story and will definitely try other books by this author.