YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

Vox
This topic is about Vox
BUDDY READ: Dystopian/Sci-Fi > Vox by Christina Dalcher - Starting July 13, 2018

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments Set in an America where half the population has been silenced, VOX is the harrowing, unforgettable story of what one woman will do to protect herself and her daughter.

On the day the government decrees that women are no longer allowed more than 100 words daily, Dr. Jean McClellan is in denial--this can't happen here. Not in America. Not to her.

This is just the beginning.

Soon women can no longer hold jobs. Girls are no longer taught to read or write. Females no longer have a voice. Before, the average person spoke sixteen thousand words a day, but now women only have one hundred to make themselves heard.

But this is not the end.

For herself, her daughter, and every woman silenced, Jean will reclaim her voice.

Karen Barber | 11327 comments Read opening two chapters. So angry!

Karen Barber | 11327 comments Up to ch6. I’d like to say this would never happen, but it’s possible to see how it might.

Karen Barber | 11327 comments Up to ch12. Really hope Dr Jean causes mayhem from this point on. Simmering outrage being felt here-mainly at the people who stand by and let his happen.

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments Chapters 1-5 (view spoiler)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments Chapters 6-11 (view spoiler)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments Chapters 12-20 (view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 11327 comments Up to ch25. Like the best dystopian fiction it’s all too obvious how they’ve arrived in this situation. Her son is truly repugnant.

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments End (view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 11327 comments Up to ch36. Seems as if Lorenzo has something planned. The fact other countries don’t have the same rules highlights how awful this situation is. Maddening that nobody questions or challenges it.

Karen Barber | 11327 comments Up to ch49. Definitely hints that Steven may be starting to think for himself.

Karen Barber | 11327 comments Up to ch69. Am curious to see whether we’re going to get answers or not.

Karen Barber | 11327 comments Up to ch76. That was something of a shock. Didn’t suspect a thing.

Karen Barber | 11327 comments Finished. Carrie, I can see your point about it feeling more satisfying in some respects than The Handmaid's Tale. It feels like a story for a more modern reader. What stuck with me was the ease with which some of these ideas came into force...tongue-in-cheek comment about not seeing how it could happen!

Amanda  (manka23) | 2385 comments 1-9(view spoiler)

Amanda  (manka23) | 2385 comments end of 12(view spoiler)

Amanda  (manka23) | 2385 comments end of 14 (view spoiler)

Amanda  (manka23) | 2385 comments up to 42 (view spoiler)

Amanda  (manka23) | 2385 comments Carrie wrote: "End [spoilers removed]"

I agree. The ending to The Handmaid's Tale left you with so many unanswered questions. They're similar, but also very different. You can try and lump all dystopian novels with oppression involved together, but they are different. It wasn't the same story or anything, but I definitely see the comparison. Honestly, I liked this a lot better. I always feel disconnected to Margaret Abbott's writing, her story lines are incredible, I just don't really love her writing.

✨Skye✨ | 3163 comments 20% (view spoiler)

✨Skye✨ | 3163 comments 43% (view spoiler)

✨Skye✨ | 3163 comments 60% (view spoiler)

✨Skye✨ | 3163 comments 82% (view spoiler)

✨Skye✨ | 3163 comments Done (view spoiler)