Play Book Tag discussion

June 2018: Magical Realism > Peaches for Father Francis by Joanne Harris - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2299 comments Delightful as expected but with a good mystery and an exciting kidnapping with an excellent resolution. Father Francis is a wonderful character. His part of the story is his interior dialog with Pere, his confessor who is long gone but still lends an ear to Francis' "confessions."

Vivianne and Roux have settled in Paris with their two daughters. Then Vivianne receives a letter from a dear (deceased) friend in Lansquenet, where the story of Chocolat began, telling her she is needed there. She goes for a holiday, leaving Roux at home, and gets embroiled with all the changes. Things have changed as the River Rats have been replaced by a community of Muslims. All was going fairly well until a few new people arrived in the community and then there was more separation. Plus Father Francis was being pushed out of his parish by another new comer.

This audio was very well narrated by two readers, Rula Lenska and Gareth Armstrong.

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments This is another author that I strongly associate with MR, and I have not read anything by her despite LOVING the movie Chocolat (though, to be fair, Johnny Depp has a lot to do with that).

Five Quarters of the Orange has been on my TBR for a long time. Ugh, so many books I would have loved to have gotten to this month!