NetGalley Addicts Support Group discussion

NetGalley Tips > Using NetGalley as a "Foreigner"

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ms. Smartarse (last edited Jul 03, 2018 05:20AM) (new)

Ms. Smartarse | 14 comments I was wondering if anyone could share their experience requesting books targeted for countries other than your own? Was it a unanimous failure? Surprisingly successful? Any tips to share?

Here's my situation:
I'm from Romania, and I joined NetGalley primarily to find more German books. I don't have a blog, or youtube account. All my reviews are here on GR.

The pros:
- I got 18 books out of the experience, since I joined in February
- one of my reviews was even featured
- I started writing less "scathing" reviews, even if I hated the book
- it's excellent reading/writing practice for my German skills

The cons:
- I read relatively slowly and get easily distracted
- I'm not a very popular reviewer
- I'm (obviously) not in the publisher's target audience

What else does anyone else do to maximize their approval rates?
- Get a blog? I had a blog that I didn't keep up, plus I like using GR to write reviews
- Create a booktube channel? I've been toying with the idea, but I don't think I'd use it to review books. Book hauls, shelf tours, wrap-ups maybe...

... am I just doomed? :P

Fictionophile  (fictionophile) | 176 comments I've found that about 90% of the times when I request a book 'out of my region' I get declined.
The other 10% have been approved. I don't know the logic behind these decisions. You'd think that the same rules would apply to all...

message 3: by Trisha (new)

Trisha (wheninapril) | 36 comments Hi Smartarse (!!)
I get your frustration, I am from Bangladesh, currently living in Malaysia.
I have joined NetGalley on 2017, and till date have got around 24 approvals (& 6 Declined). I think thats more than enough for me as I have to take care of my studies and son as well.

I got auto approved by 2 publishers and got 2 of my reviews featured. But I still think there is a long way to go. Don't get dishearted as building an audience takes time. It would be really helpful for you if you could maintain a blog (I do).

To maximize approval rate, you should check the publishers " Approval Preferences", and check if you meet them before requesting. (At first I was unaware of this fact, which caused me 5 rejections :P )

Thats all I could think of. (I am not so popular at all :/ )

message 4: by Trisha (new)

Trisha (wheninapril) | 36 comments Fictionophile wrote: "I've found that about 90% of the times when I request a book 'out of my region' I get declined.
The other 10% have been approved. I don't know the logic behind these decisions. You'd think that the..."

Hi!! IDK what you meant by 'out of my region', would you please explain?

Fictionophile  (fictionophile) | 176 comments Tale of a Bookworm wrote: "Fictionophile wrote: "I've found that about 90% of the times when I request a book 'out of my region' I get declined.
The other 10% have been approved. I don't know the logic behind these decisions..."

I live in Canada. Many of the books I really want to read are published by publishers in the United Kingdom. Thus, I am 'out of their region'.
They say that they do not have publishing rights for any country out of the United Kingdom.

message 6: by Ms. Smartarse (last edited Jul 03, 2018 06:25AM) (new)

Ms. Smartarse | 14 comments Tale of a Bookworm wrote: "To maximize approval rate, you should check the publishers " Approval Preferences", and check if you meet them before requesting. (At first I was unaware of this fact, which caused me 5 rejections :P )"

Hah, yeah. It took me a while till I realized that the link was about the publishers' preference NOT me wanting to add them to my favorite publishers. XD

message 7: by Trisha (new)

Trisha (wheninapril) | 36 comments Fictionophile wrote: "I live in Canada. Many of the books I really want to read are published by publishers in the United Kingdom. Thus, I am 'out of their region'..."

How could that be possible? I live in Malaysia. I have been reading mostly US and UK published books. None MY.

message 8: by Ms. Smartarse (last edited Jul 03, 2018 06:34AM) (new)

Ms. Smartarse | 14 comments Fictionophile wrote: "The other 10% have been approved. I don't know the logic behind these decisions. You'd think that the same rules would apply to all..."

Yeah... I'm always wondering if it is something I did "well", whenever this happens. And hope to be able to repeat it. :P

message 9: by Ms. Smartarse (new)

Ms. Smartarse | 14 comments Fictionophile wrote: "Thus, I am 'out of their region'."
I never get a reason, only a form e-mail apologizing for not granting my request. And then some generic suggestions of improving my profile and getting a blog.

Maybe they were too lazy to translate the reason part? :\

message 10: by Trisha (new)

Trisha (wheninapril) | 36 comments Ms. Smartarse wrote: "Hah, yeah. It took me a while till I realized that the link was about the publishers' preference NOT me wanting to add them..."
Hahaha

message 11: by Robin (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 87 comments I've never been approved for a book outside my country. I'm glad they switched all foreign books to "wish for it" so requesting them no longer counts as a decline.

message 12: by Ms. Smartarse (last edited Jul 04, 2018 07:45AM) (new)

Ms. Smartarse | 14 comments I'm glad they switched all foreign books to "wish for it"

Oh, so that's what that was about. I thought it was an odd archived status...

message 13: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (butbooksarebetter) | 20 comments Fictionophile wrote: "I've found that about 90% of the times when I request a book 'out of my region' I get declined.
The other 10% have been approved. I don't know the logic behind these decisions. You'd think that the..."

Yes, I've been wondering about that - I am in Oz and a lot of my books get declined due to regional reasons. However, sometimes the very same publisher approves my requests - I have stopped trying to work it out and just request whatever I want to read, keeping fingers crossed. Especially since declined requests don't affect your reviewer rating, so I've got nothing to lose. I even had a "wish for it" book approved the other day - woohoo!

message 14: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 59 comments I'm in Australia and have had the same experience as Heidi. I've found a few UK & US publishers who approve maybe 1 in 3 requests with the reason for those denied being 'out of region'. So I still ask if I really want the book and sometimes I get lucky!

message 15: by Ms. Smartarse (new)

Ms. Smartarse | 14 comments Heidi wrote: "I even had a "wish for it" book approved the other day - woohoo! ."

Oh cool. I didn't think those counted as requests. *makes note*

Carolyn wrote: " I've found a few UK & US publishers who approve maybe 1 in 3 requests with the reason for those denied being 'out of region'."

Well 1 in 3 is not bad... to my mind, at least. I find it so odd, that they would deny you, even though as an English speaker you may very well be among the target readership...

message 16: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (butbooksarebetter) | 20 comments Ms. Smartarse wrote: "Heidi wrote: "I even had a "wish for it" book approved the other day - woohoo! ."

Oh cool. I didn't think those counted as requests. *makes note*

Carolyn wrote: " I've found a few UK & US publish..."

They don't count as requests in as far as they don't show up in your list of requested books. But randomly you may get an email that a wish has been granted and a book appears on your shelf. This has happened only twice, but both were books I had coveted, so I was very happy. So "wish" away to your heart's delight, you have nothing to lose!

message 17: by Ms. Smartarse (new)

Ms. Smartarse | 14 comments Heidi wrote: "So "wish" away to your heart's delight, you have nothing to lose! "

Oh I will! :D

message 18: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 66 comments Fictionophile wrote: "Tale of a Bookworm wrote: "Fictionophile wrote: "I've found that about 90% of the times when I request a book 'out of my region' I get declined.
The other 10% have been approved. I don't know the l..."

I'm from Canada and have gotten books from the UK. O.O