What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Children's Picture book about human-sized, furry white creatures that look like felines and live in the desert. Female creature goes on quest to save sick friend.

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Igo (new)

Igo Xa | 1 comments This is a children's picture book, aimed at elementary-school kids.

The characters of this book are these large, white, feline-looking creatures who live in a desert (I believe in Amercia). they are very furry, but their fur isn't particularly long. They have paws and I think they have blue eyes. Their ears are short and they are capable of walking on two legs. They don't live fully like animals, but are more developed, with their own huts/caves and a complex society, and they speak with one another.

The main character is a young, female member of this feline creature group who is clumsy, eager, and boisterous. She is an apprentice (or wants to be an apprentice) of these older feline creatures in her community who are wise and know medicinal arts. At one point, she hastily mixes some herbs and does not pass some test these elders give her. This leads to her being deemed not ready, which upsets her. At some point, she is walking with her male feline young friend outside as well, and he either gets hurt or falls ill. I think her male friend was traveling from some far off location and returned to visit. The girl feline creature goes on a quest with three elder felines to find something in the city that will help her friend. I don't know what they were looking for, but I think it was a special plant of some sort. The felines creatures dress up in human clothes to maintain their disguise. There are a few close calls where there identities are almost revealed. They are capable of speaking human languages to keep up their disguise. They find human habits very strange and dislike their non-natural way of life. In the end, the girl feline creature saves the day by finding what they need and they save her friend. Her trust and training with the elders is reinstated. I think her friend continues in his travels after that.

This book was published prior to 2010 for sure, but unforunately I don't know the exact year. I also think it may be part of a small series, but again, I'm not sure. The reason I think this is because I think there is also a book about her male feline creature friend and his travels. I believe the book was published in the U.S. first, in English, as the setting appears to be in the United States.

message 2: by Becca (new)

Becca (beccalikesbooks) | 3307 comments This sounds so interesting, I hope we can find it. You describe it as a picture book, but the plot sounds quite complex for the average picture book (which are usually under 50 pages and don't have too many words). Was it possibly more like a comic / graphic novel?

message 3: by Bella (new)

Bella | 2 comments I've been searching for this same book too for years. I read it around 2006 - 2008.
I don't remember it being a comic or graphic novel - definitely closer to a picture book, although as you said had a lot of detail.

message 4: by Becca (last edited Sep 22, 2020 08:24AM) (new)

Becca (beccalikesbooks) | 3307 comments I think this thread might also be looking for the same book, or the other book from the series that you suggested at the end of your post, about the male friend and his travels - https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

No suggestions on that one either, though.

message 5: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36637 comments Mod
Note: Igo (OP) was last active in July 2018.

message 6: by Angela (last edited Sep 22, 2020 02:01PM) (new)

Angela Johnson | 80 comments Trupp: A Fuzzhead Tale by Janell Cannon? Trupp A Fuzzhead Tale by Janell Cannon
I don't know about the friend getting hurt part, but at some part the main character does dress in human clothes.

message 7: by Becca (new)

Becca (beccalikesbooks) | 3307 comments Aha - so the one with the female creature who wants to study medicine is Little Yau: A Fuzzhead Tale, by the same author!

message 8: by Bella (new)

Bella | 2 comments Yes this is the same series! Little Yau is the one I was looking for - cannot thank you enough, I have been trying to find this book for years.