The Giver (The Giver, #1) The Giver discussion

The Giver Movie?

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lupe Okay so ive read the giver so many Times and I think the movie is not fit. I dont think they can put everything into a movie this is one of the many books that should not be a movie. Just my opinion

Amanda I agree. I'd like to see the movie- It's been about 3 years since I've read the book- but from what I remember picturing the book as and everything- the movie just doesn't seem to capture the book correctly.

Lupe Amanda wrote: "I agree. I'd like to see the movie- It's been about 3 years since I've read the book- but from what I remember picturing the book as and everything- the movie just doesn't seem to capture the book ..."
I want to see the movie to but at the same time I don't want to be disappointed

Kimberly A. I wanna see the movie because I think that it's kinda cool to see how filmmakers and producers create this transition from the book to the movie. Upon looking at the trailer, I do have to agree that it looks completely different from the book. But, I'm still getting my hopes up and hoping for the best. I met the cast since they did a promo tour here in Chicago, and they seemed pretty cool. One of the fangirls I met got to see an early screening of the movie and she said that SHE LOVED IT. So, I'm hoping that I'll like it to. Either way, I'm really happy that it at least got a chance to be made into a film.

Lupe Kimberly wrote: "I wanna see the movie because I think that it's kinda cool to see how filmmakers and producers create this transition from the book to the movie. Upon looking at the trailer, I do have to agree tha..."
True. I went to lois lowry's website and she talks about the movie and the changes made. She says that there gret ideas. I guess the movie is worth watching. The cast does seem cool. Just got to wait and see.

CeeCee James I think the movie could be good, but I always worry when they adapt a book to a movie that they will leave out my favorite parts.

Lupe Ceecee wrote: "I think the movie could be good, but I always worry when they adapt a book to a movie that they will leave out my favorite parts."

Yes I agree that happend to me for the hunger games movie.

Kimberly A. Ceecee wrote: "I think the movie could be good, but I always worry when they adapt a book to a movie that they will leave out my favorite parts."

I agree as well. That happened with Divergent too, a few scenes were missed out but the movie was still fantastic. hopefully the giver wouldn't be so far and out-of-this-world from the book.

Izzy I think the movie Jonas is too old. I mean, you're supposed to have a twelve year old and you have an eighteen year old?

Kimberly A. Hungergames19 wrote: "I think the movie Jonas is too old. I mean, you're supposed to have a twelve year old and you have an eighteen year old?"

Yeah, thats one of the things that I was so shocked about. Jonas being so much older. Also, I was suprised because it looks like Fiona has a huge role in the movie. In the book, she did have a role but I felt like she wasn't really a huge character unlike what they make of her in the movie. Still excited for the twists they'll be adding to it though.

message 11: by Izzy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Izzy I agree with KIMBERLEY. Fiona shouldn't have that big of a part if it doesn't fit with the book.

Kohner I'm trying to see the two as different entities. They obviously changed a few things to make it more 'exciting' and action-y or whatever. The book is very much about psychology and what was happening within the characters. So, I'm going to see the movie but I'm trying not to see it as a book adaptation because it won't be like the book.

Kimberly A. Kitty wrote: "I'm trying to see the two as different entities. They obviously changed a few things to make it more 'exciting' and action-y or whatever. The book is very much about psychology and what was happeni..."

Thats a good point. I notice that a lot in recent movies lately. It's like many try to make the actions the main plot instead of the psychological aspect.

Cassondra My friends and I are all going to see the movie just to go, "This is not like the book!!" I think that's part of what makes it fun. And then you can enjoy two entirely different and yet similar stories. The movie can only be enjoyed if you look at it with the mindset of, "This is not the book. It isn't even the same as the book. It is an entirely different story." And then I can make fun of that fact with my friends. It'll be great! But nothing can take away from the awesomeness of the original story, of the book. Not even the sequels did that!

Jessica I read an interview with Lois Lowry where she was asked, a while ago, about the possibility of a Giver movie. Apparently Jeff Bridges has had the film rights for a while! Lowry was saying how she had no idea how the book would become a movie because there's not a lot of action in it. She's right, so the directors found a simple solution - add action in and alter the story. It's really disappointing, but not shocking at all. I'm going mainly to put some faces to names and because I'm dying to see what the Community would theoretically look like.

I think the two things that bother me the most are - Jonas's and Fiona's love story and the fact that Jonas's actor could pass for twice his age in the book. That REALLY bothers me for some reason!

Kimberly A. Jessica wrote: "I read an interview with Lois Lowry where she was asked, a while ago, about the possibility of a Giver movie. Apparently Jeff Bridges has had the film rights for a while! Lowry was saying how she h..."

I agree with you. I'm having a hard time picturing Jonas and Fiona's relationship and love story kinda thing because I did not see so much of that from the book. I really wonder how Brenton Thwaites is also gonna portray Jonas as a much older character.

Sarah I really hope that it is as good as the book was! :)

message 18: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 08, 2014 03:58PM) (new)

I HATE that we have a older Jonas, if we are going to have a movie based of the book than it should stay true to it and not stray, just to get some cheesy love story and a stupid almost non-exist action plot. I still think the movie will be good but let it stand alone and it's story be told by its self.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I REFUSE to watch this movie. I'm sorry but I'm just so frustrated at all these dystopian books that they are making into movies. I loved this book, and I don't want the movie to make me hate it. I'm guessing that the movie won't be bad; it just looks like it doesn't follow the book at all.

message 20: by Cass (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cass This has the *potential* to be a really great movie. The cast is excellent, for one thing--Meryl Streep is a movie goddess.
The decision to change the age of the teen characters is unsurprising, since it's a pretty common trend in YA book-to-movies. 12-y-o actors who can can carry that much of the weight of a very character-driven story are in short supply, so it makes sense to just make Jonas an older teen who can be believably played by an older, more experienced actor.
There is also a lot of really exciting storytelling to be done with special effects. From the trailer it appears that the movie will show Jonas's progression from a bland, black-and-white world to perceiving colors, for instance. It will be interesting to see how the memories are transferred, and to see the 'perfect' communities, as someone mentioned.
Not that any of this means it will be a good movie, of course; we've seen proven over and over that the best cast, the most up-to-date effects, do not a good movie make. A lot depends on the scriptwriters and directors. But I wouldn't write it off just yet... even if some changes are made, it still has the potential to be really, really cool.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Not watching this movie. Cast is great but I doubt the film will ever live up to the book. I think that 'The Giver' is better left on pages and in our imaginations than given a Hollywood-esque flair.

Kelsey I'm not too sure about the movie. I think a lot of it does look good even with the age change. I wish they didn't have to include a romance though. It's just going to play out like the rest of the YA dystopian. They're taking something that's different and making it the same.

message 23: by Cass (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cass Kelsey wrote: "They're taking something that's different and making it the same."

That right there is the problem with fantasy and sci-fi movies anymore: book authors are going in bold new directions, but moviemakers aren't keeping up. Where such a large investment of time and money is at stake, everyone decides to play it safe and stick to what sells.

Angelique I know that they can't get EVERY SINGLE MOMENT of the book into the movie. Because it's a detailed book. The movie makers have a lot of ground to cover so I wouldn't be surprised if they took big steps. I personally hope that they stick to the book as much as they can. Although, if they don't then at least I can compare the book to the movie and see which is better.

Alyson Stokes I think the movie could go either way. Based off the trailer, the movie looks good, but I know the book will always be better. The age difference and romance will change it greatly, most likely for worse. There wasn't much romance in the story, and I feel that adding it will turn it into a regular YA interest, not what it is suppose to be: bold, different, truthful. The age difference also effects it, because in the book, Jonas is twelve, and the decisions he makes are different then a 17 year old will make.

Also, i feel that this book should remain a book, because many watchers will be "satisfied" with the movie and never read the book. This saddens me, because the book has so much more to offer, and many will never understand that. Some books should just remain books, and i believe the Giver is one of them.

Cassondra Well, I saw the movie... it was NOT like the book. Not only did they take out large portions of the book, but they added a LOT of things that were not even in the book. It was still a great movie though. The heart remains the same. Our world is beautiful. We have an amazing world in which the good cannot be marred or hidden by the bad, and this shone through in the movie as in the book even though they were so different as to need to be taken as completely different stories.

message 27: by Owen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Owen It does not look as good as the book, but i will watch it anyway

message 28: by Cass (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cass Cassondra wrote: "It was still a great movie though. The heart remains the same...even though they were so different as to need to be taken as completely different stories. "

That seems to be the only way to enjoy a book-to-film adaptation, or to do it well. The film can remain true to the spirit and message of the original, and still tell the story in a fresh and creative way.

kerry ♥️ I just saw the movie and it’s pretty obvious that the producers are simply trying to create some kind of teen fan-girl craze over this movie by casting Brenton Thwaites, a 25 year old, as Jonas and also by adding the romance twist into the plot. I think they should’ve stuck with 12 year old Jonas as opposed to teenage Jonas.

But I did love the ‘color’ montages, a lot. I’m so happy they included Gabriel, I was afraid they were going to get rid of him.

Overall, I won’t be watching the movie again.

Bodhi I was very conflicted about seeing The Giver(movie). I ended up rereading the book after a span of roughly 8-10 years and had a completely different interpretation of it, so my childhood memories were already spoiled. Therefore, I thought there could be no harm in seeing a new interpretation in a different media.

They made a very smart choice to use some black-and-white effects. They struggled to stay true to the non-action oriented narrative and I commend them for that.

The pacing was a little bit off, especially in the beginning and towards the end. The romantic interest is a little forgivable because they wanted to show that Jonas could feel love. They overshot the perfect age for the main characters though, but they've casting 20-somethings as teenagers forever, back and back and back.

I enjoyed the movie. Similar but different to the book.

message 31: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul I saw the movie this last week.

1) it is not the book
2) it is pretty good. I would recommend the movie.

If you like the book you will like the movie.

Paul.

Nettrea Robinson I actually quite enjoyed the movie. True, it is a little different than the book but I went to see it knowing that.

Book Dragon there are times when you read a book and like it so much you wonder how it will play out on screen, well this book did not go over so well i like the book more than the movie.