Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

Film & TV Adaptations > Film- The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

There is a 1990 film adaptation of The Handmaid’s Tale directed by Volker Schlöndorff. The film stars Natasha Richardson (Kate/Offred), Faye Dunaway (Serena Joy), Robert Duvall (The Commander, Fred), Aidan Quinn (Nick), and Elizabeth McGovern (Moira).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099731/?...

message 2: by Greg (new)

Greg | 77 comments Interesting - never seen it. Given that so much of the story is internal, I wonder how well the film worked.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Greg wrote: "Interesting - never seen it. Given that so much of the story is internal, I wonder how well the film worked."

I have not seen it either. The reviews for the movie version are not stellar. Maybe it is a good candidate for an updated version??

message 4: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1217 comments I was at the movies tonight and saw a trailer for the upcoming Hulu series adaptation of The Handmaid's Tale. I can't find this trailer anywhere online - all I could find on Hulu was an 11 second teaser. But I am definitely going to be getting a Hulu subscription before this series premieres in April 2017! I can't wait!!

message 5: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2052 comments More epilogue...or added story

https://www.goodreads.com/blog/show/8...

message 6: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1217 comments siriusedward wrote: "More epilogue...or added story

https://www.goodreads.com/blog/show/8..."

I purchased this one from Audible. I am so excited to hear the new added content! I'm hoping to listen to it before the new Hulu series premieres at the end of this month.

message 7: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2052 comments I hope you enjoy it Christine.
. can you tell us whats in there, maybe as spoiler..?

message 8: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1217 comments siriusedward wrote: "I hope you enjoy it Christine.
. can you tell us whats in there, maybe as spoiler..?"

Sure - it will likely be a few weeks before I'm able to listen to it though.

message 9: by Michele (last edited Apr 07, 2017 04:55PM) (new)

Michele | 1008 comments Christine wrote: "I can't find this trailer anywhere online - all I could find on Hulu was an 11 second teaser. But I am definitely going to be getting a Hulu subscription before this series premieres in April 2017! I can't wait!!"

I'm super excited about this series. You can find the trailer here and there's a short discussion here.

Can't wait!!!!

message 10: by Sarah (last edited Apr 07, 2017 05:30PM) (new)

Sarah (sasstel) | 426 comments Anyone know how Hulu handles their own content? Do they drop all the episodes at once or on a week to week basis? (Trying to figure out how long I'd need to subscribe to get all episodes in the series!)

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sasstel) | 426 comments Sarah wrote: "Anyone know how Hulu handles their own content? Do they drop all the episodes at once or on a week to week basis? (Trying to figure out how long I'd need to subscribe to get all episodes in the ser..."

Okay found the info: first three episodes released together, then the rest at weekly intervals.

message 12: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1217 comments siriusedward wrote: "I hope you enjoy it Christine.
. can you tell us whats in there, maybe as spoiler..?"

I am just starting the new "Special Edition" audiobook recently released by Audible (found here). The intro to the audiobook says it includes: (view spoiler)

I'm excited to reread this book and hear the new material, and SO excited for the Hulu series to premiere this week!!

message 13: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1217 comments Here's an article from The Atlantic about the new Hulu series: https://www.theatlantic.com/entertain...

message 14: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Thanks Christine, that's a great article!

message 15: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2384 comments There's supposed to be another piece about Atwood on NPR's All Things Considered today. I was half when I was listening, so I didn't catch exactly what it's going to be about, but given the timing, I presume it'll be about the Hulu series.

message 16: by Michele (new)

Michele | 1008 comments Watched the first episode on Hulu tonight -- excellent!!

message 17: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1217 comments Michele wrote: "Watched the first episode on Hulu tonight -- excellent!!"

Glad to hear your good review! I won't have time to watch it until Friday night.

message 18: by Christine (last edited Apr 27, 2017 07:07AM) (new)

Christine | 1217 comments Melanti wrote: "There's supposed to be another piece about Atwood on NPR's All Things Considered today. I was half when I was listening, so I didn't catch exactly what it's going to be about, but given the timing,..."

Did anyone catch this NPR show?

message 19: by Emerson (new)

Emerson | 348 comments Hmm, I tried to watch it. I got a feeling I was loosing my time. That should not be a deterrent though, let's find out for yourself!

message 20: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1217 comments I've watched the first three episodes now, and I'm really impressed!

message 21: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2384 comments Christine wrote: "Melanti wrote: "There's supposed to be another piece about Atwood on NPR's All Things Considered today. I was half when I was listening, so I didn't catch exactly what it's going to be about, but g..."

http://www.npr.org/2017/04/26/5257553...

message 22: by Christine (last edited May 24, 2017 10:17PM) (new)

Christine | 1217 comments Has anyone watched the 5/25 episode of the Hulu series yet?

(view spoiler)

I normally hate it when adaptations veer away from what was laid down in the book. However, I think this series has been doing an incredible job with the alterations they've made so far. The minor things, like setting it in the present day rather than in the 1980's, have made it feel so much more impactful IMO, and the more major things they've altered or added seem to add to rather than detract from or displace the story from the novel. And I love how this episode is beginning to set up a second season of the series!!!

message 23: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments I haven't watched yet, but good news for me it's coming to the UK on channel 4 this Sunday, so I'll be giving it a try.

message 24: by Michele (new)

Michele | 1008 comments We're a few episodes behind, but I'm SO impressed with this adaptation. Really enjoying it.

message 25: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments I watched the first episode last night and loved it, so today I've watched another 3 and I'm going to marathon the rest now! Wish I didn't have to wait for the last few episodes. I love how it's been made, the pacing, cinematography, casting, setting it in modern day and the flashbacks to how things were before. I'm completely sucked in!

message 26: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1217 comments Pink wrote: "I watched the first episode last night and loved it, so today I've watched another 3 and I'm going to marathon the rest now! Wish I didn't have to wait for the last few episodes. I love how it's be..."

I'm glad you're enjoying it! I think they've really done an amazing job with this adaptation so far.

message 27: by Michele (new)

Michele | 1008 comments I've been really impressed, too. Even the added scenes (which in adaptations too often end up feeling like just padding) are drawn from events mentioned in passing in the novel, rather than made up out of whole cloth.

Catching up on Classics (and lots more!)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Handmaid's Tale (other topics)