What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

A Perilous Power (A School for Sorcery, #2)
This topic is about A Perilous Power
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Young Adult Fantasy : Two boys (friends) move to city to learn magic, look for a council of wizards. [s]

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (last edited Jul 02, 2018 09:47PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rachel (strigoii) | 7 comments Looking for a young adult fantasy book about two boys moving to the city to learn magic. One of the boys is introduced as having used magic in the past; the other has power, but hasn't learned to use it. They are taken in by a woman who can transform into a moth. The council of wizards they were to meet has changed and become more distant and corrupt than they were led to believe.

I read this book years ago - maybe further back than 2008. It seemed relatively new at the time.

Randomly picked the book off the library shelf since the cover looked interesting and the synopsis appealed to me. The cover had two boys pictured, slightly cartoon design, brown/white/purple colors. There were a couple trees, a moth, and an owl on the cover as well.

The book is available in English.

message 2: by Kris (last edited Jul 05, 2018 01:03PM) (new)

Kris | 36503 comments Mod
Rachel, are the two boys brothers, childhood friends or recent strangers? Are they trying to find a specific person or school in the city to learn magic?

message 3: by Rachel (last edited Jul 06, 2018 11:02AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rachel (strigoii) | 7 comments Kris wrote: "Rachel, are the two boys brothers, childhood friends or recent strangers? Are they trying to find a specific person or school in the city to learn magic?"

The boys are childhood friends. If I remember correctly, the boys planned to find the council of wizards and provide the reference letter given to them by a parent. I don't recall an actual school in the book - more along the lines of mature wizards taking on young proteges.

message 4: by Kris (new)

I added a few plot details to the topic header. Feel free to up date it (without spoilers) using the small "edit" link on the desktop website (not the mobile app).

Rachel (strigoii) | 7 comments No new information to add yet.

message 6: by Rachel (last edited May 18, 2019 08:54PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rachel (strigoii) | 7 comments I think different wizards had different types of abilities? For example, one wizard had leech-craft (stealing magic from other wizards), one wizard had transformation (turning into a moth).

Rachel (strigoii) | 7 comments Plot points. Posting these here before I forget and in case they help.

Beginning
(view spoiler)

Middle
(view spoiler)

End
(view spoiler)

Rachel (strigoii) | 7 comments After spending hours searching the library catalog, browsing titles on goodreads, and trying out many different searches with Google Books... the title popped into my head.

A Perilous Power by E. Rose Sabin
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5...

message 9: by Kris (new)

Great. Glad you found your book, Rachel. Thanks for the update.

Rachel (strigoii) | 7 comments Kris wrote: "Great. Glad you found your book, Rachel. Thanks for the update."

Thank you for improving the header back when I first made this thread and for your latest changes to the header/book cover. Really appreciate this group!

message 11: by Kris (new)

Glad we could help. Thanks for coming back and letting us know how your book search turned out.