Play Book Tag discussion

2016-19 Activities & Challenges > Buddy Read Discussion: The Book Thieves: The Nazi Looting of Europe's Libraries

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lynm) | 374 comments I will be reading this as soon as I can get it from the library.

message 2: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 3099 comments I just got it through overdrive. I have 2 books to finish before I get started.

message 3: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lynm) | 374 comments Just picked it up from the library. I'll start reading it today or tomorrow.

message 4: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 3099 comments Me , too. I won't make much progrees until Monday, though. Both of my adult children are 'home' for the weekend.

message 5: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lynm) | 374 comments It's been a busy week, so I haven't read as much as I normally do. I am finding the book a bit more academic than I expected, but the history is very interesting. I didn't realize how much I did not know about the events in Germany leading up to WWII.

message 6: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 3099 comments I finished the book, Lyn. I have to say I skipped some of the repetitive parts. I was familiar with much of the history, so I felt fine about flipping some pages rapidly. I'm working on getting my review posted today.... or maybe tomorrow.

message 7: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lynm) | 374 comments I am still making my way through the book. It certainly isn't a light summer read, is it? It's been a busy month, without as much reading time as I would like, but I'll get it finished by the end of the month.

message 8: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 3099 comments I posted my review, Lyn. I don't need this one for the decathlon challenge, but you can still use it that way. You can also post it to the challenge next month.

message 9: by Lyn (last edited Jul 31, 2018 08:10PM) (new)

Lyn (lynm) | 374 comments Jgrace, thank you so much for being my buddy on this book. I had no idea what I was asking when I asked if anyone wanted to buddy read the book with me this month. This is one of those books that I would not have been reading if it wasn't for my book group.
I just read your review, and you expressed my thoughts about the book also. While it was a very interesting read, I agree it could have been better written, maybe shorter. I found all the history, while important, also somewhat distracting. This book made me realize just how little of the pre and post WWII history I actually know.
Again, thanks for reading it with me.

message 10: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 3099 comments Lyn wrote: "Jgrace, thank you so much for being my buddy on this book. I had no idea what I was asking when I asked if anyone wanted to buddy read the book with me this month. This is one of those books that I..."

Thank you! I'm glad you brought it to my attention. It complimented two of the other books I read this month. Hard to say that I enjoyed it given the horrible subject matter. But I definitely learned something.

message 11: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lynm) | 374 comments I shared your review with my book group, they all thought you wrote a really good review and captured our collective thoughts very well. Maybe one day I'll be able to write a review half as good.

message 12: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 3099 comments How sweet. Thank you. It's a very nerdy thing, but I enjoy writing them. When my son was in high school, he would tease me about how weird I was for doing book reports for fun.