2022 & 2023 Reading Challenge discussion

Outlander (Outlander, #1)
This topic is about Outlander
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2018 > Outlander (Outlander #1)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Mary Pat (last edited Aug 11, 2018 05:45AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mary Pat | 2186 comments This thread is to discuss Diana Gabaldon‘s book, Outlander.

***Please remember to mark spoilers.***

Participants: Julia, Alexxy, Kristina, Kristin, MacKenzie, Rachael, Amber, Blagica, Mikayla, Lindsay, Consuelo, Catka, Dlyn, Kate, Monica, Becka, Ana

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Suggested break down of reading so that you can check in and let us know how you're doing. The following breakdown is purely a suggestion and is therefore not set in stone.

Rather than putting dates for each section I've done it so that it takes into account that not everybody will necessarily have the book at the same time.

Week 1: 106
Week 2: 106
Week 3: 106
Week 4: 106
Week 5: 106
Week 6: 106
Week 7: 106
Week 8: 106

(This will be a two month read.)

Consuelo | 190 comments I want to participate in this reading.
Currently I have read about 19% of the book. The first chapters (view spoiler)

Catka | 269 comments Oh, can I join too? I read it and listened to it earlier this year and it really got me, so it would be fun to discuss it.

Blagica  | 12050 comments I am actually rereading this one it didnt make friends with me the first time and my best friend wanted to read it again so here I am.

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3441 comments I have a couple of other books to read first but I'm looking forward to joining you in about a week. I've heard lots about this and I hope I like it because time travel and history are two of my favourite topics.

message 7: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 297 comments After I finish a few other books, I'd like to join in this read please. I can start maybe in a week or 2. Would that be okay? I picked up the book at the library today so I'll be ready soon. It sounds great. I want to read it and then watch the series I keep hearing so much about.

Consuelo | 190 comments I just finished the 13th chapter (30% of the book). (view spoiler)

Kate I'd like to join on this one. I've read the book a couple times before but haven't ever finished the series (think I'm on book 5?) so might get them on audio to catch up.

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Consuelo, Catka, Dlyn, Kate - you have all been added to the list of participants!

Lindsay | 459 comments I've been dying to start and squeaked a few pages in during lunch - I'm only on page 12 and I'm already in love with the writing style.

Blagica  | 12050 comments Starting now.

Blagica  | 12050 comments read the first two chapters I like the character development so far it is reading lots quicker then I remember the first time.

AmbWitch | 227 comments I have read the first five chapters and felt that I started to enjoy the book more once she had travelled back in time. (view spoiler) I didn’t realise how long the book was but I’m enjoying it so hopefully that won’t be an issue.

Monica | 358 comments I'd like to re-read this with you all. I just started another book today but should finish it within the next couple days.

message 16: by Becka (new) - added it

Becka Ramaglia | 6 comments I want to join. I just have to purchase the book first but I can do that later today!
I love the breakdown and summer is easier to read or me. I was hoping to read the 4th book before the season hit tv but that’s probably not happening.

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Monica, Becka - I have added you to the list of participants!

Blagica  | 12050 comments Kristin wrote: "I have finished the first chapter and am about halfway through the second. Gabaldon is a talented writer, or at least it appeals to me. I was hoping for it to be good, but I have loved it from the ..."

Kristin I completely agree with you spoiler: (view spoiler)

Catka | 269 comments Blagica wrote: "Kristin I completely agree with you spoiler:..."
Interesting point, but I just thought (view spoiler)

Lindsay | 459 comments I've had barely any time to read the past few days which is always awful, but I've finally made it to chapter 4. My only comment at the moment is - Finally a character that doesn't annoyingly refuse to accept their circumstance because they are Modern and Smart! Thank you Claire, for just accepting based on lots of very clear evidence that you did in fact travel back in time and then move to figuring out what to do about it. Must be she lives in a universe that actually has stories about time travel! Fancy that!

Blagica  | 12050 comments Kristin wrote: "Ha! Lindsay, that is a great and hilarious point. Why don't more characters accept that they have traveled across time? You are a little further than I; I'm still on Chapter 3 but not because I am ..."

I am half way through the book I have been on medical leave but go back tomorrow my thoughts on your spoiler (view spoiler)

Catka | 269 comments Well, maybe we should follow Claire's example and accept that we are traveling into a different time, when men considered women a little more than their own property and women were not allowed to make their own decisions - they were made for them by their fathers and husbands and women were often very much economically dependent on them, not being allowed to work. (view spoiler)

AmbWitch | 227 comments I am now on chapter ten and although I’m finding it interesting I am also finding that it’s very slow moving. This might be why I am finding it interesting though as it is allowing time to get to know the characters and to see relationships forming. No instalove here.

(view spoiler)

Lindsay wrote: “Finally a character that doesn't annoyingly refuse to accept their circumstance because they are Modern and Smart! Thank you Claire, for just accepting based on lots of very clear evidence that you did in fact travel back in time and then move to figuring out what to do about it.”

That’s true. And at the same time she didn’t immediately realise that she had time travelled which I have also seen before. It seemed to naturally go from her not knowing that she had travelled back in time, (view spoiler), to her using the evidence around her to conclude that she had travelled back in time.

(view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

Lindsay | 459 comments Kristin wrote: "Ha! Lindsay, that is a great and hilarious point. Why don't more characters accept that they have traveled across time? You are a little further than I; I'm still on Chapter 3 but not because I am ..."

(view spoiler)

Lindsay | 459 comments I just finished chapter 8, and I'm having a hard time with (view spoiler)

Catka | 269 comments Lindsay wrote: "I just finished chapter 8, and I'm having a hard time..."
If you want to know the real age gap between them, I will tell you: (view spoiler).

Lindsay | 459 comments Oh thank you Catka! Now I can enjoy it lol!

Monica | 358 comments Lindsay wrote: "I just finished chapter 8, and I'm having a hard time with [spoilers removed]"

Catka wrote: "If you want to know the real age gap between them, I will tell you: [spoilers removed]."

I agree. I can’t help but picture Claire (view spoiler)

Lindsay | 459 comments Monica wrote: "Lindsay wrote: "I just finished chapter 8, and I'm having a hard time with [spoilers removed]"

Catka wrote: "If you want to know the real age gap between them, I will tell you: [spoilers removed]...."

I think part of the reason (view spoiler)

message 30: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate Monica wrote: "Lindsay wrote: "I just finished chapter 8, and I'm having a hard time with [spoilers removed]"

Catka wrote: "If you want to know the real age gap between them, I will tell you: [spoilers removed]...."

Monica, (view spoiler)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3441 comments Bit later than planned but I'm about to start reading this. Hope you're all enjoying it so far - I will read your comments above once I've made a bit of progress

message 32: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 297 comments I haven't started this yet either, Rachael. Time, real life interferences, and other books have made it a bit impossible. Hopefully I can start by Tuesday at the latest :)

Kristina | 344 comments I just started the book today. I finished Part I (first 5 chapters). I'm enjoying it so far. As others have mentioned, I like Claire and her interactions with the other characters, past and present. She's strong and resourceful.

Is anyone listening to the audio book? I'm listening (and following along with the paperback) and I really like the narrator. She does a good job bringing out Claire's personality.

(view spoiler)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3441 comments I've only got to Chapter One at the moment. There seems to be a lot of detail as though it's setting up what's to come. But I do like what I've read so far.
I haven't seen the TV series but I'm curious if (view spoiler)

Lindsay | 459 comments Is this going to be a two month read? There's no way I can finish it by end of July, and it looks like several of us just started / haven't had a chance to start yet.

message 36: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate Rachael wrote: "I've only got to Chapter One at the moment. There seems to be a lot of detail as though it's setting up what's to come. But I do like what I've read so far.
I haven't seen the TV series but I'm cur..."

Yes,(view spoiler)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3441 comments Lindsay wrote: "Is this going to be a two month read? There's no way I can finish it by end of July, and it looks like several of us just started / haven't had a chance to start yet."

Yes, we are reading it over two months (July and August).

Kate wrote: "Rachael wrote: "I've only got to Chapter One at the moment. There seems to be a lot of detail as though it's setting up what's to come. But I do like what I've read so far.
I haven't seen the TV se..."

I suspected that would be the case. It makes it rather interesting.

Catka | 269 comments Kristina wrote: "Is anyone listening to the audio book? I'm listening (and following along with the paperback) and I really like the narrator.."
I listened to it too and liked the narrator very much. She has done all 7 books and even improved during the process, doing a great job with different voices and accents.

Rachael wrote: " I haven't seen the TV series but I'm curious ..."
I loved the TV show, it hooked me on the books. It is beautifully done in visuals, the costumes and sceneries are amazing. I also like the actress who plays Claire, she is very good. The actor for Jaime is very handsome and manly, but I imagine Jaime differently, I dont think he brings out the personality just right. (view spoiler)

Kristina | 344 comments Consuelo wrote: "I just finished the 13th chapter (30% of the book). [spoilers removed]"

I just finished chapter 15. (view spoiler)

message 40: by Rachael (last edited Jul 20, 2018 01:14PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3441 comments I just finished chapter 12. Something that was actually quite obvious when you think about it still surprised me. (view spoiler)

Monica | 358 comments (view spoiler)

Kristina | 344 comments Rachael wrote: "I just finished chapter 12. Something that was actually quite obvious when you think about it still surprised me.'..."

Rachael, I agree about (view spoiler)

message 43: by Lindsay (last edited Jul 24, 2018 07:05AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Lindsay | 459 comments Monica wrote: "[spoilers removed]" ohhhhh Monica that's a super good point, I didn't think of that!

I'm 50% through, and there were just two linked events that I didn't think were handled great and one that about made me die because it was handled so well.

(view spoiler)

message 44: by Rachael (last edited Jul 24, 2018 11:55AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3441 comments I'm at about 60%. I was so engrossed in reading that I forgot to post my thoughts here.
I am really enjoying Outlander so far.
(view spoiler).
Lindsay, reading your comment above has made me realize that I forgot (view spoiler).

2 HOURS LATER: 70% read now. It seems I can't put this down

Kristina | 344 comments Lindsay wrote: "Monica wrote: "[spoilers removed]" ohhhhh Monica that's a super good point, I didn't think of that!

I'm 50% through, and there were just two linked events that I didn't think were handled great an..."

(view spoiler)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3441 comments Around 80%
(view spoiler)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3441 comments Finished!
(view spoiler)
I enjoyed this and will definitely continue the series at some point (once my TBR pile goes down a bit). I'm interested to see what you all thought about it so I'll keep checking into this thread.

Lindsay | 459 comments Ok, generally speaking without spoilers, why is it that ‘90s and ‘00s romance novels were so full of those sex scenes that were JUST shy of flat out rape. I’m not being facetious - what was happening with the steady flow of non consensual fantasies. Did 50 Shades of Gray peak it and now romance novels can get their kinky kicks elsewhere? (And I’ll note that I don’t like 50 Shades for a lot of reasons, but mainly because the relationship is unhealthy AF. You don’t need a controlling man to get a little S&M action.)

Specifically speaking to historical fiction - do we as an audience feel ok with (and ok being turned on by) these types of scenes because we can accept the behavior as time-period appropriate? But then where’s the fine line between a Jamie and a Randall? Is that why the “sweetness” of Jamie is laid on so thick - to insulate him during sex scenes? Because let’s face it, this book has a ton of sex, and most of it so far is rough and dirty.

Lindsay | 459 comments At Chapter 25. (view spoiler)

Kristina | 344 comments Lindsay wrote: "At Chapter 25. [spoilers removed]"

That part was (view spoiler)

In relation to your comment about the sex scenes, (view spoiler)

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Outlander (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Diana Gabaldon (other topics)