2022 & 2023 Reading Challenge discussion

The Couple Next Door
This topic is about The Couple Next Door
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2018 > The Couple Next Door

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary Pat (last edited Jul 05, 2018 09:46AM) (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments This thread is to discussShari Lapena ‘s book, The Couple Next Door.

***Please remember to mark spoilers.***

Participants: Joan, Susy, Eirelyn, Kristy, Dlyn

message 2: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Suggested break down of reading so that you can check in and let us know how you're doing. The following breakdown is purely a suggestion and is therefore not set in stone.

Rather than putting dates for each section I've done it so that it takes into account that not everybody will necessarily have the book at the same time.

Week 1: 77
Week 2: 77
Week 3: 77
Week 4: 77

Kristy Johnston | 356 comments I'm not sure when everyone is planning on starting this book but right now I plan to finish up a couple I have left from June this week before I start this one so probably sometime next week. I can shift some things around if others are starting earlier.

Lynn | 297 comments Please add me to the discussion. I just picked this up at the library today. It sounds like a great read.

Joan Barnett | 888 comments I started this one today. It seems like it will be a quick read. I'm already drawn in. I have to get some chores done today though so hopefully I can put it down to do so.

message 6: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Dlyn wrote: "Please add me to the discussion. I just picked this up at the library today. It sounds like a great read."

Done!

Lynn | 297 comments Mary Pat wrote: "Dlyn wrote: "Please add me to the discussion. I just picked this up at the library today. It sounds like a great read."

Done!"

Thank you!

Lynn | 297 comments I am planning to start this tonight. I can't wait to discuss it.

Dave Lawrence (davefromjerra) | 36 comments Just finished this book yesterday. I think people will finish it pretty quickly as it is a great page turner. Please add me to the discussion.

message 10: by Joan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joan Barnett | 888 comments I'm halfway through. I'd be done already except that work has been so busy. I've read through chapter 18. I'll probably finish it up tonight. The twists are pretty good.

message 11: by Joan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joan Barnett | 888 comments So I finished it. I thought the twists were pretty good. I didn't really see any of them coming. The characters were developed well. I ended up rating it 4 stars.

How is everyone getting along with it?

message 12: by Lynn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynn | 297 comments I finally got to start it about half an hour ago. I just zipped through the first 4 chapters. It's a fast read. I just can't believe what is happening though!

(view spoiler)

message 13: by Joan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joan Barnett | 888 comments It really does hook you right away. The suspense books I have lately I kind of guessed what would happen but I didn't guess anything with this book.

message 14: by Susy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susy (susysstories) I just started this one. It reminds me of a movie I saw a couple of years ago but if I'm correct this book came out only 2 years ago??
Looking forward to the twists mentioned. I'm on vacation though, with very bad internet, so I probably won't update until I finish it.

message 15: by Joan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joan Barnett | 888 comments It came out in 2016. Have fun on vacation and happy reading!

message 16: by Lynn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynn | 297 comments Susy wrote: "I just started this one. It reminds me of a movie I saw a couple of years ago but if I'm correct this book came out only 2 years ago??
Looking forward to the twists mentioned. I'm on vacation thoug..."

Enjoy your vacation!!

Kristy Johnston | 356 comments Finally started this one. Only on page 4 and Anne is pushing my button with the “I chose not to have children” thing. Personal peeve of mine. LOL. Im already wondering if this is one of those train wrecks where I dislike everyone but I just can’t look away.

For first chapter read and/or later....not sure I need to mark this as spoiler but I will just in case (view spoiler)I had a friend bring her infant to an adult party that I held ( she did ask me first, she wasn’t ready to leave her with a sitter yet) and honestly the baby slept thru everything so no one even had to notice if they didn’t want to coo over the sleeping baby.

message 18: by Lynn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynn | 297 comments I totally think this is one of the books where I am going to dislike every character, think they're a trainwreck, but like a trainwreck, can't turn away from the view!! lol

message 19: by Lynn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynn | 297 comments I just reached Chapter 11.

(view spoiler)

Kristy Johnston | 356 comments ugh! Cynthia. I know. I think this was in chapter 11 (view spoiler)

Kristy Johnston | 356 comments Moving right along but I need to get some things done tonight so I’ll leave my comment on the latest twist from events in Ch 25 (view spoiler) and the twists keep coming ...

message 22: by Joan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joan Barnett | 888 comments I agree with everyone about it being a trainwreck and not being able to look away from it. I thought the character development was good but yes it was hard to like any of them because they seemed to do all the wrong things.

(view spoiler)

message 23: by Susy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susy (susysstories) Joan wrote: "I agree with everyone about it being a trainwreck and not being able to look away from it. I thought the character development was good but yes it was hard to like any of them because they seemed t..."

Kristy wrote: "Finally started this one. Only on page 4 and Anne is pushing my button with the “I chose not to have children” thing. Personal peeve of mine. LOL. Im already wondering if this is one of those train..."

I personally don't think there's a problem leaving your baby with the monitor on while you go to your neighbours, (view spoiler)
I actually didn't dislike the parents, they seemed quite human to me, maybe becáuse of the mistakes they made. I believe it's always way easier to see the right/better choice when you're not in the middle of all the problems yourself. The only ones I really disliked where Cynthia and stepdad (view spoiler), but nonetheless I enjoyed the twists because even though the ending was not a complete surprise, I did maintain the feeling that I might be wrong, and that is enough for me to keep wanting to turn the pages to find out.
I do have my doubts about (view spoiler); didn't you find that just a little too much (coincidence)?

message 24: by Joan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joan Barnett | 888 comments I didn't see (view spoiler) I thought the part about (view spoiler).

I thought it was a good book to read and different than the other ones that I've been reading lately. I've kind of been in a slump lately and not reading as much.

message 25: by Lynn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynn | 297 comments Almost done with it. I had to put it down to finish some others for challenges first. I am sort of feeling bad for Marco at this point in the book where I am, but not a lot lol Him and Anne have made bad choices. I think I can finish it tonight and then I can really discuss it in depth. :)

message 26: by Lynn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynn | 297 comments Well there goes my sympathy for Marco! (view spoiler)

message 27: by Susy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susy (susysstories) Joan wrote: "I didn't see [spoilers removed] I thought the part about [spoilers removed].

I thought it was a good book to read and different than the other ones that I've been reading lately. I've kind of been..."

(view spoiler)
Yes, I quite liked the book too, one of my fastest reads :)

message 28: by Joan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joan Barnett | 888 comments So it seems like for the most part we didn't see the twists coming which I've been looking for a suspense book lately where I don't see them coming.

I'm reading a couple more suspense books in the coming months and I hope they are like this one. The last suspense one I read was back in October In a Dark, Dark Wood and I felt like I guessed everything that was going to happen.

Let me know if you all have other suspense ones to recommend.

message 29: by Lynn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynn | 297 comments I just finished it. I really enjoyed this. I can't wait to see what this writer comes up with next. Hopefully something equally as good. I am glad I read this. I like psychological thrillers. The last good one I read was I Am Watching You.

message 30: by Dave (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dave Lawrence (davefromjerra) | 36 comments I did enjoy this book, even though (view spoiler)

message 31: by Joan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joan Barnett | 888 comments Dave - I kind of thought the same thing and just went with it. Some people do get a little desperate. I kept thinking of the Lindbergh case which was a difference scenario but it kept going through my head while reading it.

message 32: by Susy (last edited Jul 24, 2018 02:01PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susy (susysstories) Dave wrote: "I did enjoy this book, even though [spoilers removed]"

What Marco said was that (view spoiler)

message 33: by Lynn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynn | 297 comments Dave wrote: "I did enjoy this book, even though [spoilers removed]"

I agree. It was rather ludicrous so I definitely had to suspend disbelief but I did enjoy the ride as a whole. I am looking forward to what this writer cooks up next. Looks like she has something coming out this week actually: An Unwanted Guest

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.