2022 & 2023 Reading Challenge discussion

House of Leaves
This topic is about House of Leaves
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2018 > House of Leaves

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary Pat (last edited Jul 08, 2018 11:27AM) (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments This thread is to discuss Mark Z. Danielewski‘s book, House of Leaves.

***Please remember to mark spoilers.***

Participants: Vicky, Kristin, Suki, MacKenzie, Khaleena Rheeya

message 2: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Suggested break down of reading so that you can check in and let us know how you're doing. The following breakdown is purely a suggestion and is therefore not set in stone.

Rather than putting dates for each section I've done it so that it takes into account that not everybody will necessarily have the book at the same time.

Week 1: 176
Week 2: 176
Week 3: 176
Week 4: 176

message 3: by Vicky (new) - added it

Vicky | 69 comments I picked the book up a couple of weeks ago -- wow, big book! I've read the introduction, and think that this is going to be my bedtime book. It's too heavy to lug around with me everywhere.

message 4: by Kaleena Rheeya (last edited Jul 08, 2018 03:48AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kaleena Rheeya (kaleenarheeya) | 34 comments Hi all! Is it too late to join this buddy read? I am currently doing my first re-read of the book.

Edit: Also, Poe’s album is fantastic. It is how I stumbled across HOL in the first place.

Kaleena Rheeya (kaleenarheeya) | 34 comments The approach to both is very personal actually. You can choose to read the story straight through or you can choose to focus only on specific narratives and then go back and read the others.

When I last read this book 7 years ago, I had already listened to Poe’s album in full a number of times. I also chose to read the poems at the back of the book shortly after starting it.

This novel is considered to be ergodic literature where the reader’s experience is colored by how they choose to read the story. This go around, I am reading the book from start to finish and only jumping around when the footnotes call for it.

message 6: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Kaleena Rheeya - I have added you to the list of participants!

Kaleena Rheeya (kaleenarheeya) | 34 comments Thank you Mary!

Kaleena Rheeya (kaleenarheeya) | 34 comments Has everyone started reading yet?

message 9: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Would everyone like to extend this read into August?

Kaleena Rheeya (kaleenarheeya) | 34 comments That is fine. I recently finished my re-read and look forward to discussing the book with everyone.

message 11: by Mary (new) - rated it 1 star

Mary (gebodogs) I just received my copy yesterday. Looks like an easy read (TOTALLY KIDDING!). I'm hoping that sharing this book with others will help me get through it. Is it too late for me to join? Thanks!

message 12: by Mary (new) - rated it 1 star

Mary (gebodogs) Kristin wrote: "@Mary Gordon it isn't too late to join!" Great! I'm finishing my current book today, so will start this one right away.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

House of Leaves (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Mark Z. Danielewski (other topics)