The Sapphic Squad discussion

Old Reading Months > 18/7 Sapphic Squad Reads - Into the Drowning Deep & Girl Made of Stars

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elle (last edited Jul 02, 2018 04:15PM) (new)

Elle (ellexamines) (ellexamines) | 70 comments Mod
Hey guys! So as you might have noticed, this book group has gone a bit dark, and I and the other mods want to change that. As we didn't have a poll for last month, this month will be two mod picks - but hopefully next month we'll go back to voting on a group book! I really hope you'll all join us for these two books, and help us to get this group back up and running <3

description

Into the Drowning Deep by Mira Grant follows a group of people attempting to figure out whether a ship tragedy from three years ago was actually the fault of a cluster of murderous mermaids. It is creepy! There is eye horror at one point! It is super interesting. It is ridiculously addicting. The romance is between a bi scientist and an autistic lesbian camera operator and it killed me and also my ghost. Oh, and also, if any of you know Seanan McGuire and her Every Heart A Doorway series, this is actually her under a different name.

This is one I adore that went super under the radar. This has been conveniently placed during this month, as it qualifies for the ever-popular Tome Topple readathon! We'll be reading it mostly from July 2nd to July 16th, but the discussion will hopefully go on throughout the month.

description

Girl Made of Stars by Ashley Herring Blake follows Mara, whose twin brother has just been accused of rape, as she navigates her own trauma and her complex feelings towards someone she thought she loved. This one is a really emotionally cathartic book, but it is definitely a hard read - there is extensive discussion of rape culture and sexual assault in general, and and an on-page flashback to a traumatic experience. The romance is between the bi lead and her ex-girlfriend Charlie, who is nonbinary. This is also by the author of the immensely popular and completely awesome How To Make A Wish.

This is one of my favorite books of the year and I'm so excited for the group to read it!! We'll be reading it from July 17th to July 31st and I hope you'll all join me <3

message 2: by Mina &#x1f98b; (new)

Mina &#x1f98b; | 29 comments Girl Made of Stars made me SOB through the entire second half. But I so wanna read it again!

message 3: by Elle (new)

Mina wrote: "Girl Made of Stars made me SOB through the entire second half. But I so wanna read it again!"

oh my god, ME TOO. but I'm so excited to reread!

message 4: by Mina &#x1f98b; (new)

Mina &#x1f98b; | 29 comments Elise wrote: "Mina wrote: "Girl Made of Stars made me SOB through the entire second half. But I so wanna read it again!"

oh my god, ME TOO. but I'm so excited to reread!"

yeeesssss! Ashley Herring Blake is such a gem, I'll read everything she writes. But I'm so excited to read Into the Drowning Deep, too!

message 5: by Casey, (new)

Casey, with a book (caseydilla) | 1 comments Oooh I think I want to join for Girl Made of Stars... is it just going to be in this thread?

message 6: by Elle (new)

Casey wrote: "Oooh I think I want to join for Girl Made of Stars... is it just going to be in this thread?"

no, there'll be separate threads! I'll put them up tonight <3

message 7: by carley (new)

carley (ꈍ ᴗ ꈍ✿) (okim2cool4u) | 2 comments Yay!! Happy this group is back for July :) Both sound very interesting

message 8: by Elle (new)

Carley wrote: "Yay!! Happy this group is back for July :) Both sound very interesting"

I'm so glad!! I hope you join us for these <3

Lulu (the library leopard) (thelibraryleopard) | 10 comments I'd love to read Girl Made of Stars! Looking forward to this :)

message 10: by Stella (new)

Stella ☆Paper Wings☆ | 26 comments I think I'm going to start Girl Made of Stars tonight... will there be a separate threat for that?

message 11: by Stella (new)

Stella ☆Paper Wings☆ | 26 comments *thread