Reading 1001 discussion

Mrs. 'Arris Goes to Paris
This topic is about Mrs. 'Arris Goes to Paris
1001 book reviews > Mrs. 'Arris Goes to Paris by Paul Gallico

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Diane  | 2051 comments Rating: 4 Stars

I am always happy to read a lighthearted and heartwarming novel from the list. There are so few of them. This is the story of a British charwoman (maid) who sees her employer's Dior gowns and decides that she must save up to have one of her own. It takes her a long time, but she finally has enough money to fly to Paris to buy a Dior gown. Naturally affable, she meets and charms the people she meets there. This part of the book reminds me a lot of Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day. After she returns to London, she learns of a young boy who was abandoned by his mother and she and her friend Mrs. Butterfield set out to reunite the boy with his natural father.

Overall, an easy and uncomplicated read with a few coincidences that are a little less than plausible, but fun all the same.

Diane  | 2051 comments Disregard the sentence about reuniting the boy with his father. Seems like my copy also had Mrs. "Arris Goes to New York which I also read thinking it was part of the same book and not the sequel. No wonder it turned out to be longer than I thought it would be!

Kristel (kristelh) | 4261 comments Mod
The story of an older, widowed charwoman who becomes enamored of a Dior dress and determines to own one. She sees signs that this is what God wants for her when she wins the football lottery but it isn't enough and she must save and scrimp to get the money. Then the adventure starts. Ms Harris must travel to Paris to the dressmaker, she must get the right currency and she must get around among the notorious and not to be trusted French. Mrs Harris flies to Paris, manages to actually get a front row seat where she will be able to view the collection. While in Paris, Mrs Harris touches the lives of several people; Mme. Colbert, Natasha and M. André Fauvel. Mrs Harris learns that the French are just like other people, she enjoys a wonderful adventure. "For it had not been a dress she had bought so much as an adventure and an experience that would last her to the end of her days."
This is not a great literary creation but it is an enjoyable story with a moral that can be read in a sitting. The characters are all simple and the story itself is simple, sentimental and fun. Read 2013