Goodreads Ireland discussion

July 2018: The Last Place... > July group read

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Thomas, Moderator (new)

Thomas (tom471) | 1621 comments Mod
The Last Place You Look won the poll. Barbara nominated it and will lead the discussion.
Happy reading

message 2: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments I know that the winning book was only posted 5 days ago, but hope some of you have your copy. I got the book from my library and just started it.

Bookworm with Kids I won't have my copy until later in the month but I am interested to hear what people think of it.

message 4: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 3 comments I’ve just received mine from Amazon but won’t start it until next week.

message 5: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments I'm halfway through. I will say that it is feeling a lot like a first novel. Some mystery/thriller writers have several series, so the first book in any series doesn't feel like the author is trying to feel their way through their "first book" . This is the "problem" with choosing a mystery as a group read. Some people will have read books in the series, and others haven't, so invariably the first book in the series is selected. For example the Maisie Dobbs series is now on book 14. I read #1 when it was published and though I haven't read them all, I would prefer to read a book in the series I haven't read, rather than going back to the first book. Does that make sense?

The main character, Roxanne Weary, is a PI whose cop father was recently killed in the line of duty. Roxanne is bisexual, and the author lives with a same sex partner. That may be "the hook" that the publisher hopes will pull readers in - a different and diverse perspective. The second book in the series is out and I will know by the end of this one if its a series I will stick with. I read a review on GR recommending the series which is how I came to discover it.

message 6: by Clare (new)

Clare O'Beara | 151 comments I do not have this book but might well find it in the future.
As a general comment on the minority /alternative lifestyle:
I have by now read a few crime stories told by a minority / diverse character. This goes one of two ways.
The character is very much a minority in the story, and can feel touchy, picked on, harassed or ignored - the character may in the reader's opinion be over-reacting.
Or else almost all characters are of the same grouping as the main character, and the author is so busy showing many different characters of that minority/ diversity that anyone outside this viewpoint comes across as one-dimensional, and either good but weak or an obvious villain.

Let's see how this author handles the issues.

message 7: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments Clare wrote: "I do not have this book but might well find it in the future.
As a general comment on the minority /alternative lifestyle:
I have by now read a few crime stories told by a minority / diverse char..."

Interesting observations Clare.
I would say the author seemed to want to show she could write sex scenes. Not too much over the top, but perhaps more than average in a crime novel. I just posted my review. I find that sometimes writers and characters who are diverse are picked up by publishers to diversify their offerings. But we more options these days for reading a wide range of writers, and not all live up to the "hype". I did see this series highly touted somewhere on GR which is why I decided to give it a try. But I don't feel it lived up to the praise I saw.

message 8: by Donna (new)

Donna McCaul Thibodeau (celtic_donna) | 1143 comments I would say this is a two and a half star read, rounded up to three. I thought the protagonist was a train wreck of a character and I did not feel very involved with this book throughout.

message 9: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments Donna wrote: "I would say this is a two and a half star read, rounded up to three. I thought the protagonist was a train wreck of a character and I did not feel very involved with this book throughout."

Train wreck is exactly what I thought.
I am going to ask moderators to move this thread. It's in the wrong place. also I am going to write more in the spoiler thread.

Bookworm with Kids I have only started reading this yesterday. I think that train wreck seems to be a good description of the main character so far!

message 11: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments Bookworm with Kids wrote: "I have only started reading this yesterday. I think that train wreck seems to be a good description of the main character so far!"

She drinks way too much in a self destructive way. Neither of her relationships are "healthy". Enuf said. Jumping to spoiler thread.

message 12: by Ali (new)

Ali (ali909) | 88 comments Oh, my big personal Thanks! to Barbara for nominating this book!
I was lucky to snatch a copy in my local library and finished it last week.
What can I say? Absolutely loved it!!! I was a bit conscious of the fact that it was Lepionka's first book, but I have to hand it to her. She nailed it! Well, at least for me. It is not too gruesome, not too alight, it swings to the darker side at times, it has humour, the characters are well thought through.
And Roxane is very believable.
I agree, that this book does not feel like a début novel, neither it had a "trial and error" feeling to the story line.

It reminded me a bit of Gillian Flynn books.

message 13: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments Ali wrote: "Oh, my big personal Thanks! to Barbara for nominating this book!
I was lucky to snatch a copy in my local library and finished it last week.
What can I say? Absolutely loved it!!! I was a bit consc..."

Thanks for the thanks. I am glad you liked it and always glad when people can get a book at their library. I got my copy there.

message 14: by Donna (new)

Donna McCaul Thibodeau (celtic_donna) | 1143 comments Also read my copy from the library, I love my local branch. When they see me come in, they start pulling the books I've reserved off the shelves.

message 15: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments Donna wrote: "Also read my copy from the library, I love my local branch. When they see me come in, they start pulling the books I've reserved off the shelves."

So friendly!

message 16: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 3 comments I know I’m coming late to the party. A kitchen renovation meant I was unable to finish the book until beginning of August. However, I wanted to record just how much I enjoyed reading it. I don’t think I would have come across this author had it not been suggested, so thank you for that. I found Roxane ( with one n) an engaging train wreck and became completely engrossed in the story despite myself! It made perfect summer reading, and I’m now looking for the next two titles in the series.

message 17: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments Brenda wrote: "I know I’m coming late to the party. A kitchen renovation meant I was unable to finish the book until beginning of August. However, I wanted to record just how much I enjoyed reading it. I don’t th..."

So glad you enjoyed it. Summer is a time I have more time for reading BUT I also have been doing lots of organizing around the house which takes so much time.

message 18: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 20 comments what's the September read?

message 19: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments Katherine wrote: "what's the September read?"

Nothing yet. I actually don't know the theme or where the themes for monthly reads are listed.