The Ink to Film Book Club discussion

American Psycho
This topic is about American Psycho
American Psycho

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Luke Elliott (luminousluke) | 150 comments Mod
Discussion thread for American Psycho. This book is bonkers so far.

Katarina Rogers (katarinarogers) | 2 comments That book was crazy and while the writing was great, I wasn't a fan of the book. I really love the movie though!

message 3: by Charity (new) - added it

Charity | 15 comments God what an amazing piece of work. Both the movie and the book was amazing to me. The book was certainly hard to read much of in one sitting but that's the whole point, Patrick's head is a dark, despicable place to be, he doesn't even like it.
What I liked about the book was that, as always, we're offered much more insight into the person's mind. With Patrick it was the wild smorgasbord of sex, violence, and rants about music. Very psychotic, I loved it.

I love with artists take that risk of putting the audience in an uncomfortable place, it's meaningful to feel/read/see these wild impulses going on inside people's heads because it's part of the human condition. The newest Joker could have used some of this movie's daring.

Anyway, great movie, great book. I'm nerding out.

Charity wrote: "God what an amazing piece of work. Both the movie and the book was amazing to me. The book was certainly hard to read much of in one sitting but that's the whole point, Patrick's head is a dark, de..."

Risk is right. Everyone involved had to know they were making something that would spark immense controversy, but they believed in their vision and made it anyway. Have to to admire that. It's a good one to nerd out over, for sure!

I did a presentation at the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry before a screening of the film doing a deep dive into the adaptation process for making the movie. So much to talk about.

message 5: by Charity (new) - added it

Charity | 15 comments Luke wrote: "Charity wrote: "God what an amazing piece of work. Both the movie and the book was amazing to me. The book was certainly hard to read much of in one sitting but that's the whole point, Patrick's he..."

I'll have to check that out!

Charity wrote: "Luke wrote: "Charity wrote: "God what an amazing piece of work. Both the movie and the book was amazing to me. The book was certainly hard to read much of in one sitting but that's the whole point,..."

I don't know of any quality recordings of it out there unfortunately, but we did cover both the book and movie on the Ink to Film podcast! :)