Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Cover Help > Replacing Placeholder Book Covers

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Audrey's Picture Books (last edited Jul 02, 2018 01:06PM) (new)

Audrey's Picture Books | 28 comments I'm a new librarian, and I thought I'd start by adding cover images for the books I've read that currently have placeholder images. However, I can't figure out how to do it without adding an alternate-cover edition. Where do I go to do this?

The first book I tried to do was On Cat Mountain, by Francoise Richard:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9...

Amazon has a scanned image of the cover for the same ISBN here:
https://www.amazon.com/Cat-Mountain-F...

But I couldn't find a place to upload the image. Am I doing something wrong? Do I simply not have the permissions to do this?

message 2: by Fábio (new)

Fábio Nogueira (fnogueira) Done!

message 3: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 45460 comments Mod
To become a librarian, you have to apply for that status and be approved. Everyone is welcome to join this group, but doing so doesn't make you a librarian.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 5873 comments Audrey's Picture Books wrote: "I'm a new librarian, and I thought I'd start by adding cover images for the books I've read that currently have placeholder images. However, I can't figure out how to do it without adding an altern..."

Hi Audrey - to change or add covers you need to be a Goodreads Librarian. This is a volunteer job.

To apply you go here https://www.goodreads.com/help/librarian. It is a good idea to read the Manual while you wait to see if your application is accepted.

I've been told the reasons you give for wanting to be a Librarian are important, so give a lot of thought to that section. Also mention any foreign languages you speak.

Good luck! :)

message 5: by Audrey's Picture Books (last edited Jul 02, 2018 01:20PM) (new)

Audrey's Picture Books | 28 comments Perhaps I'm confused. I made a list on Listopia a while ago. When I went to edit some of the data, this message appeared on top of the page:

"Important: if you're on this page you have been granted a special "librarian" status, and can edit list data. Don't take this responsibility lightly—if you can help correct any inaccuracies or add any missing data, please do so! But only make changes if you're sure they're correct."

Did I misinterpret the message? Is there more than one category of librarian below superlibrarian?

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 45460 comments Mod
The creator of a list has limited abilities to edit that list (primarily its description). But you do not have general librarian status.

message 7: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ (last edited Jul 02, 2018 01:27PM) (new)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 5873 comments Audrey's Picture Books wrote: "Perhaps I'm confused. I made a list on Listopia a while ago. When I went to edit some of the data, this message appeared on top of the page:

"Important: if you're on this page you have been grante..."

Did you edit quite quickly after creating the list? There may be a short window of opportunity to edit your entries. (I don't do lists, so I'm not certain)

But if you haven't applied to become a Librarian, then you aren't one. If you look on my profile you will see Goodreads Librarian. That is how you know who is one.

There are just Goodreads employees, Supers & regular Librarians.

Edit: Oops sorry rivka to keep crossposting with you!

Audrey's Picture Books | 28 comments That explains the discrepancy. I can, to a certain extent, edit my own list, but I need to apply to do anything else. Thanks, everyone!