Historical Romance Book Club discussion

Lady of Desire (Knight Miscellany, #4)
This topic is about Lady of Desire
Gaol/Buddy Reads & Challenges > BR - Lady of Desire

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Jul 02, 2018 12:38PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Lady of Desire by Gaelen Foley

This is book #4 in the "Knight Miscellany" Series AKA the "The Knight Family" Series.

Impetuous Lady Jacinda Knight is the daughter of a scandalous woman. Though society predicts she'll follow in her mother's footsteps, the spirited beauty stands unashamed of her passionate nature. Then one night, in flight from an arranged and loveless marriage, Jacinda finds herself alone on a dangerous street face-to-face with Billy Blade, the notorious leader of a band of thieves. His stolen kisses awaken in her a longing for a man she can never possess.

A handsome scoundrel running from a secret past, Billy Blade has never met a woman like Jacinda -- her fiery innocence and blossoming sensuality set his rebel's heart ablaze. Having turned his back on the privilege of his tyrannical father's house years before, he vows to return to reclaim his title, Earl of Rackford -- to win the love of the ravishing beauty who has stolen his heart.

****Ladies, when you comment, please remember to mention the last chapter that you completed!

message 2: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Jul 02, 2018 12:45PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments The "Knight" series is in my top two for HR series, probably #1 of 2 favorite series.'

I plan to begin on Tuesday, since I only work for 3 hours in the AM. I won't be completely idle, bec I need to pre-sort some things for my vacay packing.

Anyone else?

message 3: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 4107 comments Mod
I think I can start tomorrow too.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Yay!

I’m looking forward to it.

The first time I read this, I wasn’t in GR.

Loriidae | 1120 comments I am in! This is one of my series to finish for the Mad about the Series Challenge.

message 6: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

Awesome, we’ve got a party now!

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Loriidae wrote: "I am in! This is one of my series to finish for the Mad about the Series Challenge."

Great!

Loriidae | 1120 comments Chapter Two
Struggling to remember the events with Miranda and Damien. I only read Lord of Ice in March. Oh well hopefully, there will be a conversation later on.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Loriidae wrote: "Chapter Two
Struggling to remember the events with Miranda and Damien. I only read Lord of Ice in March. Oh well hopefully, there will be a conversation later on."

I’m just starting ch 2.

What did you think of Ch 1?

Loriidae | 1120 comments Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: ...What did you think of Ch 1?..."

Chapter One - I was disappointed that our heroine is only 18, and thus far behaving quite naively. I didn't like that a marriage was being planned with a 40 year old as I am not a fan of age gaps but it seems to have been put to rest with the appearance of Blade. This might seem obvious to everyone else but I haven't read the blurb.

message 12: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

I prefer an older heroine also, but I am very intrigued how Blade becomes the hero. She is very naive, but I am glad she wasn’t just instantly street wise, since it’s not a skill she’s needed before.

I like the descriptive writing, felt in the middle of the action in the fight scene and am definitely getting a distinct picture of her surroundings. I also think this style is taxing to read because it is very vivid, probably why I have needed breaks between books.

I don’t like the push for marriage either. Having read their books, I would have thought they would want a love match for their sister and that the wives would be opposed too. Seems like that move would have forced her to become their mother.

I am through 2 now. 3 looks to be a long chapter.

message 13: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Jul 04, 2018 08:29AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments On Jacinda’s age: I wondered how you all would take to her inexperience and naïveté. All over GR, in the Georgette Heyer Group and in the JA group, people are really harsh about young heroines because they are seen as “young and silly.”

The young heroine is well and truly dead in HR. This book was written in 2003 (I think) and May have been one of the last books to feature a young heroine. Nowadays, when I want to enjoy the transformation of a heroine, I have to read something old Skool.

However, I like seeing young heroines change and grow. I have more of a problem with how old heroines are handled by some HR authors in some HR than with a “silly young chit,” bec the young chit will grow. On the whole, old heroines are more likely to cause me grief than a young one. But I’m an outlier here.

message 14: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

I think there are still young heroine novels, but I think most quality writers steer clear of it, which is probably the difference. I am ok with it so far. It’s just harder to relate to for me. My enjoyment of HRs hinges on being able to relate to the heroine. For young Heroines, I am much more likely to enjoy it if they start out foolish and grow. The heroine in Lucien’s novel is an example of a young heroine that tests my patience. She started out level headed and then loses it.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Gaelen Foley’s writing is gloriously descriptive. I feel thoroughly versed in how J and B look almost to the point where I could create their likeness via a sketch. And there will more descriptive hints on J & B features.

I don’t know if you guys read Because of Miss Bridgerton by Julia Quinn. When I read that book, all I knew was that the heroine had “black brows.”

Also, this book is rich in period language, slang and detail.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "I think there are still young heroine novels, but I think most quality writers steer clear of it, which is probably the difference. I am ok with it so far. It’s just harder to relate to for me. My ..."

You are right. I should have said that the big author’s are the ones to steer clear of young heroines. And I think the lesser authors who DO write young heroines now, will stop doing so if they get signed to a larger publish.

For me, relatability of a heroine is how much she fits a time period and what she does in its confines. So, I’m more likely to relate to Jacinda, bec she stays in her lane than one of them thar “strong,” “independent” but old heroines. But I’m an outlier in this regard too.

message 17: by Loriidae (last edited Jul 04, 2018 03:05PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Loriidae | 1120 comments I enjoyed chapters 3 and 4, the story is picking up.

Chapter Four (view spoiler)

message 18: by Loriidae (last edited Jul 04, 2018 03:11PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Loriidae | 1120 comments I liked the realness of the descriptions of slum London. It was dark and gritty and and enabled me to picture the scene perfectly.

I like a good description of my hero in particular but also the heroine. It is frustrating when trying to know a character and you realise you see them as faceless.

message 19: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Jul 04, 2018 09:44PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Mess #17

@Loriidea,

All will be revealed. To say more would ruin the book for first time readers. Btw, the name is William SPENCER Albright.

Mess #18

@Loriidea

GF was so descriptive I could “see” and small that filthy alley. It wasnt pretty, like a description of a garden, but I felt as if I were right there. Also, once they arrived at Billy’s HQ, that was descriptive as well. Also, I feel as if I have a good handle on how Billy’s room looks.

Poor Jacinda! I felt bad when she was (view spoiler) <— a very minuscule spoiler

Loriidae | 1120 comments Chapter Five Blade's background (view spoiler)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments @Loriidae/ mess #20

I get your point about learning revelations (view spoiler) However, I have an “excuse” to offer why it wasn’t handled in the way that you mentioned, but we haven’t reached to point where my explanation would make sense also spoilers.

Loriidae | 1120 comments Andrea - all good just my internal musings as I am reading. Finished Chapter six tonight. A bit worried about our hero!

message 23: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Jul 05, 2018 05:56AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Loriidae wrote: "Andrea - all good just my internal musings as I am reading. Finished Chapter six tonight. A bit worried about our hero!"

That’s what we are about! Internal musings are fine. Give us plenty to talk about.

I’m afraid of inadvertently revealing something at the wrong time since I’ve read the book before.

I just finishe ch 6 too. Deep doo-doo!

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments One thing I can say that is not a spoiler since you guys have read 📖 1-3, is that GHs sub-plots in this series are amazballs imho. They are done with such attention and care. No sub-plot thrown in for whatever reason. Her subplots here (this series) are first rate.

message 25: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

I will catch up today. Yesterday was a bit busy!

message 26: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

Loriidae wrote: "I enjoyed chapters 3 and 4, the story is picking up.

Chapter Four [spoilers removed]"

Good pickup on the title! I didn’t notice that Lucien used a different name. I just assumed it was the same and was his last last name!

message 27: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

I didn’t make it as far yesterday as I thought I would. I am through 4 at the moment.

I thought there were some really lovely moments between Jacinda and Billy. Subtly, Foley showed how there are ways they both will likely need each other — to experience and understand life differently than they know it. Like this moment:

”...Sometimes I lie on my bed staring at it until I fall asleep. Then I dream I’m there—in Venice—the blue sky, the sun on my face, the lapping of the waves.” He sent her a half smile full of wry self-mockery. “But artists lie. No place could be that beautiful.”
“But it is.” She looked from it to him. “I have been there.”
He stared at her, suddenly on his guard.
“You don’t believe me?”
He didn’t answer.
“You should go.” She offered him a cautiously teasing smile. “You might find the influence of so much beauty elevating to your moral sense.”
He snorted. “Got no time for holidays. There’s Cullen O’Dell to contend with.”

And then I enjoyed the discussion about the classes and their differences and what is she thinking about running away.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "I didn’t make it as far yesterday as I thought I would. I am through 4 at the moment.

I thought there were some really lovely moments between Jacinda and Billy. Subtly, Foley showed how there are ..."

Joanna,

I also think that Billy 💕 ❤️ and Jacinda got past stereotypes:

1) Jacinda learned that Billy ❤️ despite the brutish way that he lives and he is a brute, is capable perceiving the beauty of a painting of Venice by Canaletto.

2) Billy ❤️ learns that despite her privilege, Jacinda values more than just the material things her wealth can buy—freedom.

message 29: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

Through chapter 6

So this vividly descriptive writing is a double edged sword. I could barely get through Billy’s flashback. So heartbreaking. Awful parents. Curious about the friends and his big brother.

End of chapter 6 — I am anticipating a triangle with Billy getting caught. I think he has Jacinda’s necklace and Daphne must be who Jacinda’s suitor (Ayers?) was trying to make jealous that took a greater interest in Billy than the others. I imagine one is going to recognize Jacinda’s necklace. Interested in how this proceeds.

I hope all that made sense. Typing on my phone.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Ch 1-2

GF really grabs me in the first chapter. She didn’t take any missteps too early to put me off. After ch 1, I’m all in. By ch 2, there is a misstep, but she grabbed me in Ch 1 and this story has me in enough of a grip that I don’t let it bother me.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Ch 3

This is Bk 4 in the series.

By now you both know plenty about Jacinda’s motet from the previous 3 books.

Jacinda has idealized her mother, I think based on how she spoke of her to Billy 💕

I think Jacinda was 2 yr old when her mother died. The late duchess lost her life (view spoiler)

message 32: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Jul 07, 2018 08:42PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Ch 5/p 122

Our heroine has been misguided in (view spoiler) but she is self-aware and painfully honest:

(view spoiler)

message 33: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

Re: chapter 5 spoiler: That quote was very brutally honest. I think it shows her as very astute. Marrying Griffin would be a self fulfilling destiny. And then, as you pointed out in chapter 3, she has idealized her mother so she is in an internal struggle between wanting to like that side of her that is like her mother but also not wanting to be like her mother.

message 34: by Jan (last edited Jul 07, 2018 08:36PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jan (jan130) | 2095 comments Well, I've just started reading this book today so I hope you don't mind if I muscle in on this BR. I'm a bit of a Gaelen Foley newbie - I haven't read any of her books for many years, and none of this series at all. I'm at 25% which is part way through Chapter 4.

So far, I'm already falling in love with Billy Blade LOL. OMG, (view spoiler) Jacinda I'm not so sure about. The early scene where she (view spoiler) was fine for me and seemed reasonably realistic/believable. But then the scene (view spoiler) seemed a little ridiculous and far-fetched to me. (view spoiler)I could go on. It just seemed too soon for me and I had a hard time buying into the scene because of that.

But, I'll keep reading and hope to get swept away by the story.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Jan,

I’m glad you’ve joined us!

message 36: by Jan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jan (jan130) | 2095 comments :D Thanks Andrea.

message 37: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Jul 07, 2018 08:44PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Ch 6/p 147

Burnin 4 Billy ❤️

(view spoiler)

Jacinda is honest and self-aware:

(view spoiler)

message 38: by Jan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jan (jan130) | 2095 comments Ha ha. I'm not up to there so won't click on the spoiler. But I like your thinking...... burnin 4 Billy indeed.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Ch 7/p 150

Leave it to GH make hunting palatable:

The first birds into the air were the older, stronger ones; since grouse turned sterile after one breeding season, these could be conservatively culled without damage to the breeding population. Boom!

message 40: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (last edited Jul 07, 2018 09:15PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jan130 wrote: "Well, I've just started reading this book today so I hope you don't mind if I muscle in on this BR. I'm a bit of a Gaelen Foley newbie - I haven't read any of her books for many years, and none of ..."

Welcome! I was going to comment that you should join us on your status update and now don’t have to. Glad you are joining in.

I agree on the intimate scene. It seemed to creep up quickly and go too far. It wasn’t a deal breaker on enjoying the book, but it did caution me some. Other than that, I have been enjoying it.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Ch 7/p 155

GHs subtle, keen, sublime, but subtle attention to details and the distinction between Aristocrats and wannabes:

“Ladyship, what? Hawkscliffe’s duchess?” he asked in a scathing tone. “She’s too refined for shooting, God knows, damned gentry upstart.”

message 42: by Jan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jan (jan130) | 2095 comments Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "Welcome! I was going to comment that you should join us on your status update and now don’t have to. Glad you are joining in.

I agree on the intimate scene. It seemed to creep up quickly and go too far. It wasn’t a deal breaker on enjoying the book, but it did caution me some. Other than that, I have been enjoying it."

Thanks Joanna.

message 43: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

Through Chapter 8

I rather thought the transition from Billy Blade to Rackford happened quickly, but it does put him in a position to be eligible for Jacinda.

message 44: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Jul 10, 2018 08:30PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Just finished ch 7

I had to read and reread the part where (view spoiler) The writing here is so good at this part that I even feel uncomfortable.

message 45: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Jul 10, 2018 08:29PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Just finished ch 10

GFhas done an excellent job via her strong plotting of drive home just how much Billy DOES NOT know due to the interruption of his education and developing the ease of high society—knowledge that is taken for granted by people of that class.

The handling of the dinner party was a nice touch letting us experience it through Billy’s eyes.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "Through Chapter 8

I rather thought the transition from Billy Blade to Rackford happened quickly, but it does put him in a position to be eligible for Jacinda."

Well, he spent (view spoiler) However, since this took place off page, it does seem as if it all happened rather quickly.

Loriidae | 1120 comments I forgot to comment! My notes so far....
Chapter Seven (view spoiler)

Chapter Eight (view spoiler)

Chapter 12 (view spoiler)

message 48: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

Loriidae wrote: "I forgot to comment! My notes so far....
Chapter Seven [spoilers removed]

Chapter Eight [spoilers removed]

Chapter 12 [spoilers removed]"

I was beginning to wonder where you were! Welcome back :p

Good point on chapter 8. The setting doesn’t fit that convo well.

Loriidae | 1120 comments Chapter Thirteen (view spoiler) And (view spoiler)

Chapter Fourteen (view spoiler)

Loriidae | 1120 comments Finished (view spoiler)

« previous 1