Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

With Blood Upon the Sand (The Song of the Shattered Sands #2)
This topic is about With Blood Upon the Sand
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > With Blood Upon the Sand [Jul 23, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7557 comments Mod
This is a Buddy Read for With Blood Upon the Sand by Bradley P. Beaulieu starting July 23, 2018.
With Blood Upon the Sand (The Song of the Shattered Sands #2) by Bradley P. Beaulieu

message 2: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4603 comments Mod
Hopefully, I can catch up and finally finish the first one so I can join this.

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments in!

Solseit | 1460 comments I am in!

Beyond Birthday Mayim wrote: "in!"
+1
I'll start Twelve Kings in Sharakhai this weekend so I can tag along.

message 6: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Soooo I'm planning out my reading schedule and I just can't seem to muster the enthusiasm to pick this book up. I'm considering abandoning it until the series is finished. I feel like I'm having a book crisis lol.

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments If it helps, Beaulieu wrote me that he is on schedule and just gave the 4th book to the publisher. But I know your pain.

message 8: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Mayim wrote: "If it helps, Beaulieu wrote me that he is on schedule and just gave the 4th book to the publisher. But I know your pain."

That does help. Puts it back into a maybe. :)

message 9: by Mayim (last edited Jul 20, 2018 07:41AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Also, he is really nice and responds super fast on Goodreads. I think we could organise a Q&A session with him without any problems.

message 10: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Mayim wrote: "Also, he is really nice and responds super fast on Goodreads. I think we could organise a Q&A session with him without any problems."

That would be really cool :) I love nice authors.

Beyond Birthday I fear Mayim will break up with me, but I really can't get into the first book. I'm completely indifferent to it and every single page I read feels like I read 100. I won't rate it; it's on hold for now. The only thing I can promise Mayim is that I will pick it up again.

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Darling, do not feel bad for not sharing my literary crazes. :D I am sure we will find other books we will love and hate together.

Beyond Birthday Mayim wrote: "Darling, do not feel bad for not sharing my literary crazes. :D I am sure we will find other books we will love and hate together."

I know we will, but I wouldn't cross off this book completely: I am going to give it another go.

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Don't force yourself. I think if the charm is not there, maybe wait for another moment.

Beyond Birthday Mayim wrote: "Don't force yourself. I think if the charm is not there, maybe wait for another moment."

Agreed. Even though I don't own a physical copy, I know that this book (like countless others) is going to start beckoning to me, and I'll know then that we can rekindle our relationship.

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments When you do, just give me a shout. I will be happy to hear your thoughts.

Beyond Birthday Mayim wrote: "When you do, just give me a shout. I will be happy to hear your thoughts."

I'll announce it with bells and whistles. Plus, I own both the first and second now, so a read of them both is imminent.

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments I feel bad for talking you into it. Heh.

Beyond Birthday Mayim wrote: "I feel bad for talking you into it. Heh."

Your review was very convincing, and to be fair I've been eyeing this book for a while. You just gave me the...ahem...final push! :D

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments down the cliff of DNF, oh well, I promise I will start reading Polansky soon :)

Beyond Birthday "Temporary" DNF. Don't forget the temporary part. :P

Beyond Birthday PS. I hope you enjoy Polansky whenever you get around to reading Those Above!

message 23: by Samir (new) - added it

Samir (royceblackwater) | 842 comments Starting next week due to life and shit.

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Take care Samir. Hopefully, the turbulences are only temporary.

Solseit | 1460 comments I am starting tomorrow!!! I cannot wait!

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments I think I will start too. I am in the middle of Earth Luck in the Shadows but it is so incredibly boooring I think I might abandon it.

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments OK, I didn't have that much time but spoilers/general impressions up to chapter 7:

(view spoiler)

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments OK I REALLY didn't see the chapter 8 plot-twists! (view spoiler)

Solseit | 1460 comments I finished chapter 4 and it is not too exciting but I think it is building up. I am going to dedicate time to read today, now that I see Mayim excited about the story!

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments I stopped reading yesterday only because I was exhausted. The pace is slow, but that is the author's writing style and I didn't mind it also in the first book. What is the most important is that her really swiftly veers off the anticipated track. OK, Ceda is predictable, but everything around her isn't and I really have no idea where he takes it! Exciting.

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments By chapter 27 (view spoiler)

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments I am wrapping up. So far, the only thing I don't particularly like is the romance. At least there is no mundane triangle. But really the star-crossed lovers trope is silly (view spoiler)

Solseit | 1460 comments Mayim wrote: "I am wrapping up. So far, the only thing I don't particularly like is the romance. At least there is no mundane triangle. But really the star-crossed lovers trope is silly [spoilers removed]"

I am nearing the end as well. I was able to pull a nice read pace during the weekend.
I would also go as far as to say that I am not particularly interested in what happens to Ceda. I love the story, I love the intrigue and mystery that is unveiled at a great pace; I am completely taken by the world and the dynamics. I am also interested in Davud's story.
When it comes to Ceda though, I often roll my eyes. (view spoiler)

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments I totally get your point. I like her maybe because of her ordinariness and the fact that at this point she really doesn't seem crucial to the story. It is very refreshing after God knows how many snowflakes who breakfast on fate and fart destiny all the time. :D