The Evolution of Science Fiction discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Group Reads 2018 > Nominations for September 2018

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jo (new)

Jo | 1093 comments We are looking for nominations for any sci-fi novel or collection of short stories written between 2000 and today that has not previously been read by the group. Please check the bookshelf here before nominating.

Only one nomination per person please.

message 2: by Cheryl (last edited Jul 02, 2018 05:59PM) (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) If you'll permit a retrospective, I'd really love to read The Best Time Travel Stories of the 20th Century.

message 3: by Ronald (new)

Ronald (rpdwyer) | 163 comments I nominate Brass Man by Neal Asher

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...

I haven't read this book, but I've read other stuff by Neal Asher. Its action-oriented science fiction.

message 4: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 4280 comments Mod
We generally go by the first publishing date of the book, so a book published in 2004 would be allowed as post Y2K, even though the stories are older. So Cheryl is nominating The Best Time Travel Stories of the 20th Century

message 5: by Jim (new)

Ronald wrote: "I nominate Brass Man by Neal Asher
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...
I haven't read this book, but I've read other stuff by Neal Asher. Its action-oriented science fiction."

Ronald, Brass Man shows as #3 in a series. I skimmed some reviews & one said something about appreciating it since they'd read the first 2 since they could see where he was going. Unless you're really sure it stands alone well, I think we'd best stick to the first of series.

message 6: by Ronald (new)

Ronald (rpdwyer) | 163 comments I dont see it that way, Jim. Put my nomination on the ballot please.

message 7: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (romeowyn) | 1 comments I nominate Spin by Robert Charles Wilson.

Hugo winner, and well worth it.

message 8: by Josh (new)

Josh | 23 comments Three Years with the Rat

Read this when it came out 2 years ago and loved it. Was bummed when it wasn't part of the Goodreads best of the year voting.

message 9: by Marc-André (last edited Jul 03, 2018 01:10PM) (new)

Marc-André | 298 comments I suggest Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie. It won the Hugo, Nebula, BSFA, Arthur C. Clarke and Locus awards, and was nominated for the Philip K. Dick award.

Not too shabby for a first novel.

message 10: by Dan (last edited Jul 04, 2018 10:12PM) (new)

Dan Cheryl wrote: "If you'll permit a retrospective, I'd really love to read The Best Time Travel Stories of the 20th Century."

I looked over the table of contents on this one. They have some great authors, and many of them have written great time travel stories, none of which are featured in this book. How odd!

message 11: by Jim (new)

I'll nominate Saturn Run (2015) by John Sandford. He's best known for his "Prey" mystery series, so I was quite surprised to find an excellent hard SF book from him. It's quite a unique rocket drive.

message 12: by Dan (new)

Dan Ronald wrote: "I nominate Brass Man by Neal Asher."

I found a pretty cool website which has Neal Asher's recommended read order: https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-WE0NuMU8vH...

I mention this because I've never read Asher and would like to start, but have concerns about jumping into the middle of a series.

message 13: by Leo (new)

Leo | 640 comments Dan wrote: "Ronald wrote: "I nominate Brass Man by Neal Asher."
I found a pretty cool website ..."

That certainly looks impressive

message 14: by Ronald (new)

Ronald (rpdwyer) | 163 comments I've read the first first pages of Brass Man, thanks to Amazon's "Look Inside" feature.

It seems fine as a stand alone read. My impression is that the books in the series have a shared universe and some recurring characters. So not a problem.

As for the chart about the recommended read order, I interpret it as a way for the writer to sell books. Nothing wrong with that, of course.

message 15: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) Dan wrote: "Cheryl wrote: "If you'll permit a retrospective, I'd really love to read The Best Time Travel Stories of the 20th Century."

I looked over the table of contents on this one. They have..."

That's part of the reason I want to read it... it's not just a bunch of stories that I've already read in so many other anthologies.

message 16: by Jon (new)

Jon I highly recommend Rudy Rucker's novel Software (why is Rudy so neglected and unread?). It is followed up with Wetware, also very good. But the other two Freeware/Realware aren't as good and are twice as long, but I encourage reading all 4 for the broad perspective. Software and Wetware were really cool cyberpunk books that have re-read value and are very very short to read, thus easily digestible by the busy person, as so many of us are.

message 17: by Jim (new)

JonSnow, welcome & thanks for the recommendation, but Software was published in 1982. This topic is for nominating the September read which must be published from 2000 & up. You can certainly nominate it in 6 months or so, when we roll around to that decade again or you can post it in one of the topics in the 1980-1999 folder. I see Lit Bug has a topic there asking for Cyberpunk suggestions.

If you do nominate a book, please link it as I did. Makes it a lot easier for us to find it when Jo makes up the poll.

message 18: by Jon (new)

Jon My mistake, ha! I sort of dove in with my suggestion without exploring enough. :)

message 19: by Jon (new)

Jon Understanding the rules, I nominate Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey. (using a cellphone so not sure how to link like you did above, on a phone)

message 20: by Jim (new)

JonSnow wrote: "Understanding the rules, I nominate Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey. (using a cellphone so not sure how to link like you did above, on a phone)"

We just read that in March. If you look at the first message in this topic, you'll see that Jo has a link to our bookshelf for this period. She does a fantastic job of keeping it up to date & we've read a lot of the popular books of each period, so make sure to look at it before nominating.

We also sometimes place other restrictions on nominations. For instance, if we read an author too often, we won't allow their books to be nominated for a while. So read Jo's first message carefully.

message 21: by Jon (new)

Jon I'll eventually figure this all out fumbling on my phone hahaha sorry.

message 22: by Jo (new)

Jo | 1093 comments There are already a lot of good nominations, but as it's sat on my bookshelf waiting to be read i'd like to nominate Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 718 comments Either Spin or Ancillary Justice sound good to me.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.