You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Challenges: Monthly > 2018 July REPORTING - Happy Birthday Lisa

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17854 comments Challenge for July is pretty straightforward.

You are to read a book that was published in the year of your birth.

Not popular in, published in. We are looking at original publication date. So double check translations, or books from authors from other countries, be careful and check that original publication date.

Check out the listopias and the like, but be mindful of the above warnings. This in the Most Popular Books of 1997 list, https://www.goodreads.com/book/popula..., but if you look to the right, you can set the year from 1920 on wards.

I've been surprised what was published in my year, so here's hoping we all find some interesting reads.

General Rules:

1. The book may be in any format – hardcover, paperback, ebook, or audiobook.
2. The book may NOT be combined with the Year Long Zany Zodiac Challenge.
3. The book must be read between July 1 to July 31, 2018 (based on your own time zone).
4. The challenge is for one book. You may read more books if you chose, but only the highest scoring book will apply.
5. The book must be 175 pages or more determined by the issue you read. If reading eBook or audiobook page numbers will be determined by the issue that comes up on a Goodreads search.

POINTS!
(based on the edition you read)

You do need to tell us which year you are reading a book from to get points. I need to check it fits, so no year, no points.
This is a safe space.

Cover (if using an audiobook use the most popular edition):
5 pts – There are stars on the cover (Tanabata)
4 pts – There is a tree on the cover (National Tree Day)
3 pts – There is an ice cream on the cover (National Ice Cream Month)
2 pts – There is a bottle of booze on the cover (Madeira Day)
1 pt – The cover is mainly purple. If in doubt, please check http://labs.tineye.com/color/

Genre:
5 pts – Non-Fiction
4 pts – Romance
3 pts – Sci-Fi
2 pts – Thriller
1 pt – Horror

How many pages? (if using an audiobook use the most popular edition) :
5 pts – 501+
4 pts - 401-500
3 pts - 301-400
2 pts – 201-300
1 pt - 200 or less

Bonus May Points (2pts each that apply):
2pts - The book is set in New Zealand, or the author was born or is based in New Zealand (Māori Language Week)
2pts - There is a shark in the book (Shark Week)
2pts - Part of the book is set on a boat (Sea Sunday)

message 2: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Jul 03, 2018 07:53PM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51955 comments I read The Star Beast, published in 1954.

Cover -
4 pts for tree

Genre -
3 pts for science fiction

Pages -
2 pts (253 pgs)

Total points - 9

message 3: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17854 comments First cab off the rank! Nice work Janice :D

message 4: by Cherie (last edited Jul 05, 2018 02:10PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20712 comments Ugh, my book was a dud for points. I'm just glad to be done with it.

I listened to Strangers on a Train which was the author's debut novel. It was published in 1950.

2 points for genre (thriller)
2 points for pages(256).
Total of 4 points.

I will update the link tomorrow, Rusalka. Link updated.

message 5: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17854 comments No worries. Thanks Cherie. Sorry it wasn't a great read.

message 6: by Beth (new)

Beth (eparks4232) | 1969 comments I read the first Inspector Wexford mystery: From Doon With Death by Ruth Rendell for 1964

2 pts – Thriller
2 pts – 201-300

Low point total, but I am happy to have gotten to it early in the month!

message 7: by Cherie (last edited Jul 05, 2018 02:22PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20712 comments Rusalka wrote: "No worries. Thanks Cherie. Sorry it wasn't a great read."

It wasn't that it was not a good read, really. I really do not know how to explain it. The writing was terrific, but the characters and what happened were so awful. On top of all of that, the narration of Bronson Pinchot was perfect. His voices for the characters and how they talked and acted, especially the drunk guy were amazing. I gave it three stars, but it probably should have been 5. That said, I cannot ever imagine myself wanting to listen or read it again. How can the narrator be so good that you cannot stand to listen? - but it was true!

message 8: by Beth (new)

Beth (eparks4232) | 1969 comments Cherie wrote: "Rusalka wrote: "No worries. Thanks Cherie. Sorry it wasn't a great read."

It wasn't that it was not a good read, really. I really do not know how to explain it. The writing was terrific, but the c..."

I actually really like Patricia Highsmith. Did you ever see the movie of Strangers on a Train? Also good.

message 9: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20712 comments Heather and Beth - we are messing up the reporting thread. We need to take the book conversation to the other thread " Lisa's Birthday."

message 10: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51955 comments Good plan, Cherie. LOL!

Also, Heather, your message belongs more in the planning thread. Come back to this one when you've finished the book and can score it. :)

message 11: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17854 comments Love that you all self moderate :D

message 12: by Jayme, Moderator (last edited Jul 08, 2018 04:47AM) (new)

Jayme | 2664 comments I read Travels with Charley: In Search of America published in 1961.

Cover:
4 pts - has trees
Genre:
5 pts - Nonfiction
Pages:
2 pts - 214 pages

11 Total Points

message 13: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17854 comments Did you like it, Jayme? I've always thought I should try this one as it sounds very different to his others.

message 14: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 887 comments Me too.The name itself sounds so timeless or something.
I read one where he travels to Russia.

message 15: by Lanelle (last edited Jul 13, 2018 08:59AM) (new)

Lanelle | 3396 comments I had quite a few good books to choose from that were published in 1963. I decided to read False Colours by Georgette Heyer , which is by one of my favorite authors, Georgette Heyer.

Here are the points:
Cover:
4 pts – There is a tree on the cover (National Tree Day)

Genre:
4 pts – Romance

How many pages? :
3 pts - 301-400 (335 pages)

"I've fallen amongst sharks, and have lost my entire fortune!" page 165. I don't think that's the kind of sharks you had in mind :) No bonus points.

Total points: 11

message 16: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2695 comments I was born in 1953. I read A Pocket Full of Rye. I read an old paperback copy from a used book store, and its cover is not included among the "other editions" whose covers appear on Goodreads. There is a white background, against which there is a silhouette of Miss Marple, apparently leaning on an umbrella. The copy I read gets no points for its cover or genre, and no bonus points, but it does get one point for its length-185 pages.

Total points: 1

message 17: by Saar The Book owl (last edited Jul 20, 2018 02:01AM) (new)

Saar The Book owl | 1926 comments I was born in 1983 and I've read The Witches First published in 1983.

message 18: by Anna (last edited Aug 01, 2018 03:43PM) (new)

Anna Kļaviņa (annamatsuyama) | 1166 comments I read Terry Pratchett's Reaper Man published in 1991

Reaper Man (Discworld, #11; Death, #2) by Terry Pratchett
No points for genre, cover and no bonus points.
3 points for pages

Total: 3

message 19: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 2501 comments I read Charmed Life Charmed Life (Chrestomanci, #1) by Diana Wynne Jones by Diana Wynne Jones first published in 1977, which will net me a whopping 6 points lol
4 points for tree on cover (branches showing through the skylight/window)
2 points for 224 pages
I'm going to have to start actually looking at the book, and not just taking recommendations from friends on blind faith. This is a lovely little fantasy, but definitely written for a younger audience.

message 20: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Jul 19, 2018 07:00AM) (new)

Kristie | 15251 comments I read Nemesis Nemesis (Miss Marple #12) by Agatha Christie by Agatha Christie, which was first published in 1971.

Cover: 0
Genre: 0
Pages: 2 (224 pages)
Bonus May Points: 0

Total Points: 2

message 21: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17854 comments Nice work everyone!

message 22: by Clive (new)

Clive Matthews | 225 comments I read It by Stephen King first published in 1986.

Cover: 0
Genre: 1
Pages: 5 (1377)
Bonus points: 0

Total: 6

message 23: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10551 comments I've finished The Twenty-One Balloons The Twenty-One Balloons by William Pène du Bois

POINTS!
Published 1947

Cover
0 pts

Genre:
0 pts

How many pages?
1 pt - 180

Bonus
2 pts - There is a shark in the book
2 pts - Part of the book is set on a boat

TOTAL
5 pts

message 24: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 2790 comments An Unsuitable Job for a Woman, first published in 1972

Cover: 0pts

Genre: 2 pts – Thriller

How many pages?: 2 pts – 201-300

Bonus May Points: 0pts

Total: 4 points

message 25: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments I read Kindred for 1979.

Genre:
3 pts – Sci-Fi (I don't class it as sci-fi hut it is listed ae sci-fi. I know you've read it wo hqppy to to with what your ruling is on this)

2 pts – 201-300

Total = 5 pts?

message 26: by Debra (last edited Aug 01, 2018 02:44PM) (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments I was born in 1957, and I read The Small Woman, also known as The Inn of the Sixth Happiness.

Cover:
0 points

Genre:
5 pts – Non-Fiction

2 pts – 201-300

7 points

message 27: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17854 comments Sorry for the delay. Badges are up. Let me know if I have missed anyone :)

message 28: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20712 comments Hahaha - great badges, Rusalka! Thanks.