Fans of Amish Fiction discussion

Amish Book Discussions > Love for Amish Fiction but Pet Peeves?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather I have read some fifty or so Amish fiction books and I have a few particular pet peeves about the genre in general though they wouldn't be enough to stop me from reading. If anyone has any particular pet peeves about Amish Fiction or agrees or disagrees with mine please comment.
I would like to see just what people enjoy and what is disliked.

Pet Peeves
1) The same 50 words or phrases in Pennsylvania Dutch in every book.
2) The lack of male protagonists.
3) The idea that the protagonist widowed/fence jumper/not very pretty "old maid" always gets married by the end of the book/series.

message 2: by James (new)

James Catron | 6 comments I love reading Amish mysteries but I have to agree with you on all three of these points. As a male I would particularly like to see more male protagonists. It seems there are only 2 kinds of males in the average Amish mystery a handsome potential love interest or a suspected criminal.
P.l. Gaus is the only author I know out there who writes a series with male protagonists but I don't think his mysteries are as well written as most of the female authors I have read (Flower/Allan, Brunstetter, Bradford, Sheppard Gray etc.)

message 3: by Marta (new)

Marta Perry (martaperry) | 61 comments I'd love to comment from the perspective of an author, if no one minds. The reason for some of the things you mention is that publishers seem only willing to bring out Amish fiction under the genre of romance. Therefore the books are written under the parameters of romance fiction. Perhaps this will change with the increasing number of independently published e-book titles! Best, Marta Perry

message 4: by Heather (last edited Aug 06, 2014 09:05AM) (new)

Heather Marta wrote: "I'd love to comment from the perspective of an author, if no one minds. The reason for some of the things you mention is that publishers seem only willing to bring out Amish fiction under the genre..."

Perhaps it would be helpful if fans were to email the current publishers and let them know that many Amish fiction fans would enjoy more plots with varying themes.
Thank you for your response, especially as I am currently reading one of your novels.

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather James wrote: "I love reading Amish mysteries but I have to agree with you on all three of these points. As a male I would particularly like to see more male protagonists. It seems there are only 2 kinds of males..."
And most of the male protagonists in the romances seem to have some sort of underlying trouble that must be dealt with (important as a protagonist must change over the course of the plot) but it would be nice to see a balanced and healthy male protagonist.

message 6: by James (new)

James Catron | 6 comments Hi Marta,

Hopefully some publisher out there will give something new a chance eventually. I think there could be a larger audience for Amish mysteries if the genre had a little more gender diversity and a broader appeal.
After your post I checked you out and I see that you have an Amish suspense series. It is great to find a new author because I am running out of Amish mysteries I have not already ready. I look forward to reading your series.

message 7: by Christy (new)

Christy | 18 comments My biggest pet peeve with Amish fiction is the abundance of English characters in the books. It truly takes away from the uniqueness of Amish fiction. And so many books now show Amish people leaving the community. A true blue Amish fiction book to me is written about solely Amish people; except for the driver maybe and some town folks.

message 8: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments Christy wrote: "My biggest pet peeve with Amish fiction is the abundance of English characters in the books. It truly takes away from the uniqueness of Amish fiction. And so many books now show Amish people leavin..."

If you've ever visited an Amish community, such as Lancaster, PA, you would see that Englishers are an active part of Amish daily life. It is not unusual to see Amish and English out to eat or walking around together. The communities have welded together so English participation in fiction is normal. Amish people have English neighbors, they don't live in solitude with other Amish families.

message 9: by Christy (new)

Christy | 18 comments I completely understand I have visited three separate Amish communities; I know they have English friends and work together and live side by side. This was just my personal opinion that Amish genre has swayed so far in most of a book is covered with English people. That for me just took away from the point of an Amish genre at all. If I want to read about mostly English people I would read contemporary modern writing. This is just my pet peeve I miss the way Amish fiction started; where most of the book is about an Amish family.

message 10: by C. (last edited Nov 03, 2014 09:28AM) (new)

C. | 84 comments Christy wrote: "My biggest pet peeve with Amish fiction is the abundance of English characters in the books. It truly takes away from the uniqueness of Amish fiction. And so many books now show Amish people leavin..."

I also would enjoy more Amish Romances/fiction that stay within the Amish or Mennonite community,but I do love them all,and the mystery ones as well,as long as they portray the Amish honestly,not like so much of the 'new' Amish fiction that's appearing !