The Fandom Entries & Monthly Readathons discussion

Chit Chat > Copy Cats

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lou, Book Queen (new)

Lou (aliceinbagend) | 527 comments Mod
What movie or book do you think very closely resembled other movies/books?

message 2: by Lou, Book Queen (new)

Okay I'm going to put this out here. The Hunger Games (book) has some parts that are like Gladiator (movie).
Here's the similarities:
An unwilling participant partakes in an entertainment for the higher class to fight to the death. The protagonist defies the president/emperor by not killing who they are supposed to kill. Thus winning the crowd's applauds and the president/emperor's wrath. And firing up a revolution.

Yes, yes there are loads of differences as well, and Susanne Collins probably didn't even realise it herself, but still...

⭐Anny⭐ (Book Princess) (annithebookprincess) | 175 comments I haven't seen Gladiator, but I think Suzannr Collins may have done that on purpose. At least the world of Panem and the Games are inspired by ancient Rome. It is even stated in Mockingjay.

I can't think of any specific ones right now, but I think most ya dystopians kinda resemble each other (protagonist is becoming part of a rebellion trying to overthrow the government)

message 4: by Riley (new)

Riley (woowreallly) Agreed there. Red Rising is basically Hunger Games on Mars. Darrow defies the rule s of the game by starving other opponents. Although there is a kid that starts to eat someone. Bleh. But he does murder the most powerful man. And basically becomes his apprentice before killing him. Kinda sorta like Hamitch but he ends ip killing him instead. There's two games he's in. More like a challenge though. And yeah.

message 5: by Lou, Book Queen (new)

⭐Anni⭐ wrote: "I haven't seen Gladiator, but I think Suzannr Collins may have done that on purpose. At least the world of Panem and the Games are inspired by ancient Rome. It is even stated in Mockingjay.

I can'..."

Yeah, that explains a lot ;')

message 6: by Lou, Book Queen (new)

Riley wrote: "Agreed there. Red Rising is basically Hunger Games on Mars. Darrow defies the rule s of the game by starving other opponents. Although there is a kid that starts to eat someone. Bleh. But he does m..."

Would you still recommend Red Rising though it's like The Hunger Games?

message 7: by Lou, Book Queen (new)

Also, has anyone seen "I Am Legend"? It came out a while ago, before Illuminae. And let me tell you that Illuminae does not need a movie adaptation after all. Okay yes, it's not set in space, but the whole affected-zombie-like-people is SO similar!

⭐Anny⭐ (Book Princess) (annithebookprincess) | 175 comments @Riley I agree on Red Rising! That's basically what I thought, Hunger Games on mars x'D

Lora (on hiatus) | 106 comments Red Rising is basically like Red Queen, too

message 10: by Lou, Book Queen (new)

Lora wrote: "Red Rising is basically like Red Queen, too"

I've heard a lot of people saying that too, which do you like better?

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I feel like Red Queen especially has been a mix of every relevant YA release in the last 10 or so years, just lumped together... I can't really think of anything original, like stuff that I haven't seen executed that way before.

⭐Anny⭐ (Book Princess) (annithebookprincess) | 175 comments @Lili true omg. It's like a mix of Throne of Glass, The Selection, Hunger Games... I still like it ;)