The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > Guardians of the Galaxy (spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Tamahome (last edited Aug 03, 2014 04:02PM) (new)

Tamahome | 6196 comments WHERE THE F*CK WAS VANCE ASTRO?!

Just kidding. It was pretty good. :)

Neal Adams was right in a youtube video I saw. The movies and comics are about even now.

message 2: by Phil (last edited Aug 03, 2014 08:18PM) (new)

Phil | 1137 comments I really enjoyed it as did my kids. The humor, action, and music are all top notch.
The only thing that pissed me off was the portrayal of Yondu. His personality is the polar opposite of what it is in the books. That'll only bother you if you've read the comics of course.
The after credit scene is mildly amusing but shorter and more throw away than usual.

message 3: by Tamahome (last edited Aug 03, 2014 04:51PM) (new)

Tamahome | 6196 comments Don't get me started on Yondu!

message 4: by Baelor (last edited Aug 03, 2014 04:48PM) (new)

Baelor | 169 comments I was underwhelmed. I am not a comic reader. I thought the movie was entertaining, but I could not understand the glowing reviews. Humor was predictable, only slight character development/revelation, insignificant plot, undeveloped world, terrible villain, cardboard characters (the sister especially).

Action sequences were the selling point.

I think I should just stop watching Marvel movies; only the first Iron Man has really done anything for me.

message 5: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6756 comments Mod
I thought it looked fantastic and I really enjoyed the music and humor. It's nice to see them do something more obscure. And seems to have done really well at the box office, which is probably a sign of the value of the Marvel Studios to consumers.

message 6: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6196 comments The number of credits at the end was scary. The whole world made this movie.

message 7: by Kaleb (last edited Aug 03, 2014 07:30PM) (new)

Kaleb Just finished watching the movie and it was great! I really enjoyed it.
Great humor, great acting, and an even greater soundtrack. The scene at the end of the credits was a bit of a let down though. I was hoping it'd have some signifigance to the next movie, but that's my only minor complaint.

message 8: by Alexander (new)

Alexander (technogoth) | 171 comments It was a lot of fun, funny, action packed, but didn't take itself serious. Like when star lord tells the legend of Footloose.

The ending credit scene was a let down but with all the other 80's stuff in the movie it was fitting to include such an obscure reference.

Also was I the only one who found the idea of a mix tape still working after 30 years of use the most implausible part of the film. ;)

Joe Informatico (joeinformatico) | 888 comments Saw it twice and loved it both times, and I had no idea who these characters were at this time last year. I kind of knew going in I would like Rocket Raccoon and Groot but I was pleasantly surprised with how great Drax was. The villains were kind of lacking, but that's par for the course for any Marvel Cinematic Universe villain not named Loki.

message 10: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 8 comments I loved it. I wanna own it ASAP. I was surprised that the stinger at the end didn't related to the next Avengers movie, but I think this means...DUN DUN DUUUUUUNNN...that another (hopefully much better done) movie about that character is in the works.

message 11: by Ions (new)

Ions I really enjoyed Guardians! I say it twice and laughed myself to tears both times! Batista stole the movie in my opinion... I kinda sighed when he was cast (only because I have a bias against pro-wrestling) but he NAILED his role! that said, everyone was on point with their acting. the movie just made me happy, and it closed out the Summer movies perfectly!

my only complaint was the unnecessary romance... but it was minor so meh!

message 12: by Jason (new)

Jason Parent | 22 comments I agree I thought Bautista was fantastic. Groot and Rocket were both great, too. Overall a good to great movie.

message 13: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6196 comments Alexander wrote: "Also was I the only one who found the idea of a mix tape still working after 30 years of use the most implausible part of the film. ;)..."

Kind of reminds me of Cowboy Bebop where he finds the betamax tape.

message 14: by Warren (last edited Aug 04, 2014 10:34AM) (new)

Warren | 1556 comments Also was I the only one who found the idea of a mix tape still working after 30 years of use the most implausible part of the film? (Alexander)

Not really. Go to any used music store and you'd be surprised by what people are still listening to. ;-} http://8tracksrback.ecrater.com/c/795...

message 15: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6196 comments All Easter eggs from the movie explained.

http://screenrant.com/guardians-of-th...

message 16: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Spoilery new ETSY creation: http://screenburn.kotaku.com/adorable...

message 17: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3911 comments I liked Warlock's burst chrysalis behind Howard the Duck. With Thanos, Gamora and Drax, gotta have Warlock!

message 18: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6196 comments It's a good day to be Jim Starlin. I just read that Pip the Troll was based on Jack Kirby at first, ha ha.

message 19: by Phil (last edited Aug 04, 2014 06:02PM) (new)

Phil | 1137 comments John wrote: "I liked Warlock's burst chrysalis behind Howard the Duck. With Thanos, Gamora and Drax, gotta have Warlock!"
Then you have to add Pip and Moondragon for the whole Infinity Watch. I can see Moondragon appearing at some point given Drax and she was even an Avenger for a while.

message 20: by Tesla (new)

Tesla Ranger (tesla_ranger) | 7 comments Adrienne wrote: "I loved it. I wanna own it ASAP. I was surprised that the stinger at the end didn't related to the next Avengers movie, but I think this means...DUN DUN DUUUUUUNNN...that another (hopefully much be..."

"That character" would be Howard the Duck and the movie you want was released in 1986 (and yes, you should see it). =)

I laughed and thoroughly enjoyed the movie, most of it anyway. All those scenes with hair blowing about in the vacuum of space were pretty immersion breaking, but none so much as the bit outside Knowhere. That just seemed unnecessarily awkward and sloppy for all kinds of reasons. There were so many other ways of progressing the plot that wouldn't involve pretending like a human could stay alive in open space, much less conscious and capable.

I look forward to seeing the movie again assuming I get the opportunity before it's out of theaters. I might close my eyes and blissfully ignore that particular scene, but either way the rest of the movie makes it worth the price of admission.

message 21: by Rob, Roberator (new)

@Tesla I assume they were being vague to avoid spoilers for people who haven't seen it yet.

message 22: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8304 comments John wrote: "I liked Warlock's burst chrysalis behind Howard the Duck. With Thanos, Gamora and Drax, gotta have Warlock!"

Based on how Peter's mom described his father, I'm guessing Adam Warlock is his dad.

message 23: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8304 comments Tesla wrote: ""That character" would be (view spoiler) and the movie you want was released in 1986 (and yes, you should see it). =)"

...and you missed the point entirely. He was trying to avoid spoilers.

message 24: by Russ (new)

Russ Linton | 23 comments "like a human could stay alive in open space, much less conscious and capable."

Just going to leave this here, but check the end of the movie for an explanation...

message 25: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6196 comments They explain who Starlord's father is in the comics (not Warlock).

message 26: by Hyena (new)

Hyena | 41 comments I hope Cosmo gets his promotion to head of security for Knowhere for the next movie.

message 27: by Tamahome (last edited Aug 06, 2014 07:19PM) (new)

Tamahome | 6196 comments We should read Starlin's Warlock for S&L. :)

message 28: by Paul (last edited Aug 06, 2014 07:27PM) (new)

Paul Harmon (thesaint08d) | 639 comments Yes you can't Have Avengers 3: The Infinity Gauntlet Without Adam Warlock (and Pip?)

BTW Loved the movie

message 29: by Alexander (new)

Alexander (technogoth) | 171 comments Naw the infinity gauntlet feels like its coming too soon.
I'd rather see the next two big movies be Civil War and Secret Invasion.

message 30: by Paul (last edited Aug 06, 2014 09:00PM) (new)

Paul Harmon (thesaint08d) | 639 comments Alexander wrote: "Naw the infinity gauntlet feels like its coming too soon.
I'd rather see the next two big movies be Civil War and Secret Invasion."

Naw they are putting all their eggs in the infinity basket. Besides Infinity Gauntlet did come before Civil war or Secret Invasion...more than 20 years before holy crap am I really that old?
Man I remember picking up the IG comics as they came out.

message 31: by Paul (new)

Paul Harmon (thesaint08d) | 639 comments Also I seriously need to see Nova in there soon. GotG 2 please. And I mean Richard Rider not new mini Nova

message 32: by Phil (last edited Aug 06, 2014 09:12PM) (new)

Phil | 1137 comments Tesla, the 2 characters in open space are not human and at least one of them has had many enhancements (if you read the data in the lineup) so that may explain how they survive.

message 33: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Tama, maybe you should add (Spoilers) to the title since there is a few in the thread now..

message 34: by John (Nevets) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1542 comments After the critical and financial tour of force this movie has become, I will be very surprised if there is not a second one.

message 35: by David(LA,CA) (new)

David(LA,CA) (davidscharf) | 327 comments John wrote: "After the critical and financial tour of force this movie has become, I will be very surprised if there is not a second one."

Oh it's already been announced. They announced GotG2 during the Marvel panel at SDCC this year (a week before the film opened).

And I've got to figure out a time to fit it into my schedule this weekend. I've already seen it a few times, but I want to try and help it against the Turtles.

message 36: by Daran (new)

Daran | 599 comments This movie had a presence I have not felt since...

I'm going to leave it at that. Go see the movie.

The idea of tying a rather upbeat soundtrack to the main character and his back story had an interesting effect. They could evoke a lot of bitter-sweet emotion with a song that had a lot of energy. Interesting.

I think this is going to be a big awards contender; especially effects, and editing.

message 37: by Ben (new)

Ben (bennewton_1) | 253 comments Just got home from seeing it. Loved pretty much everything about it.

message 38: by Tesla (new)

Tesla Ranger (tesla_ranger) | 7 comments @Trike & Rob Apologies. I'd assumed anyone reading the thread had probably already seen the movie, and that particular character had already been named in the thread. All the same I should've been prudent enough to use spoiler tags if only on principle.

message 39: by Scott (new)

Scott (smrathburn) | 37 comments Alexander wrote: "It was a lot of fun, funny, action packed, but didn't take itself serious. Like when star lord tells the legend of Footloose.

The ending credit scene was a let down but with all the other 80's stu..."

I must agree. I thought the mix tape was a gimmick. For the most part I liked the movie, accepting that hardcore comics fans may not enjoy a Nova Prime that doesn't fly. Take it for what it is, a summer movie from Marvel.

message 40: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (e-hyde) | 2 comments I enjoyed it, it was a lot of fun, but I thought it was one of Marvel's weaker offerings. The characters were pretty great (well, the heroes were ... the villains were a bit bland but at least Ronan seemed to have slightly more motivation than Malekith in Thor 2). I was kind of disappointed by the setting/worldbuilding ... I liked the Thor movies' take on other races and planets better than this, this just felt ... less full of wonder, I guess is how I'd phrase it.

message 41: by G.R. (new)

G.R. Paskoff (grpaskoff) | 55 comments I'm afraid I have to agree with Baelor and Ellen. And let me say that I grew up with comics and still have hundreds boxed up in the attic from the 1970's, 80's, and early 90's. Marvel superheroes were always my favorite and I've enjoyed nearly all the movie adaptations. But there were a lot of areas where this movie just felt flat. The galaxy didn't seem very cohesive (not like in Star Wars), the villains were one-dimensional, the dialogue in many spots was poor, and the plot had too many holes. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it, I just don't think it was one of Marvel's best. I'm still wondering if I would have enjoyed the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle re-make more.

message 42: by Ben (new)

Ben (bennewton_1) | 253 comments Ellen wrote: "this just felt ... less full of wonder, I guess is how I'd phrase it."

I thought GOTG had this in spades. Different tastes I suppose! Glad to hear you still enjoyed it anyway.

message 43: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8304 comments I also thought GotG was just okay. It could have used about 30% fewer chase/fight scenes, because those were absolutely pointless. There were no stakes because you knew no one was going to get injured, nevermind die. (view spoiler)

There was also a lot of stuff left out of the final cut which really could have helped fill out the world, and despite it being two hours long, I think they trimmed it too close to the bone. I also thought the confrontation between Quill and Ronan was just silly. Cute, sure, but completely misplaced. At that point in the story Ronan would have just blasted Peter to atoms.

So far for me the Marvel films break down like this:

1. Iron Man, Avengers
2. Capt. America, CA2
3. IM 2, Thor, Thor 2
4. Incredible Hulk, GotG
5. broccoli
6. trip to the dentist
7. IM3

message 44: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6196 comments I think with Guardians the mix between story and effects is becoming more and more graceful, as easy looking as drawing whatever you want.

message 45: by Jon (new)

Jon Kole | 12 comments I loved it. Though I was not familiar with the comics, I thought it was incredibly hilarious and was just a feel good sci-fi movie that at times reminded me of firefly.

The most breaking part for though was that the batteries in the Walkman still worked. But ah, alien technology.

I liked that after credits scene just because I was already familiar with how so many people were poking at marvel asking about a remake of that movie and character. I felt like they added that just to tease people, and it was hilarious.

message 46: by Tamahome (last edited Aug 14, 2014 08:43AM) (new)

Tamahome | 6196 comments It's a scientific law that the older a technology is, the longer it lasts (cf. the original theremin).

message 47: by Paul (new)

Paul Harmon (thesaint08d) | 639 comments For me it's pretty easy to believe that there is alien advanced technology that allowed for some kind of battery upgrade.

message 48: by Daran (new)

Daran | 599 comments I was amazed that t shirt lasted as long as it did. I liked the cassette player that Quill built in the Milano. If he could do that, then he could probably mod his Walkman.

message 49: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8304 comments I can't really pull at the various threads of impossibility in this one. There's no way a cassette tape would last that long. As someone who used tapes by the bucketload in the 80s, I'm all too aware of how easily they stretch and warp and break.

But there was so much of this sort of silliness and complete implausibility in the film that it becomes an exercise in futility bordering on madness. It's really a big-budget B-movie that we saw in the 80s, and that's not all bad. It sort of reminds me of The Last Starfighter in that regard.

message 50: by Jack (new)

Jack (wineontheveldt) Damn. I didn't even think about the cassette tape being so old...

What I like most about this movie and the Guardians of the Galaxy comics is that it takes the same story structure of the super heroes on Earth and transposes them into a comedy space opera. They choose to use a sci fi setting to tell a super hero story rather than trying to give us a sci fi movie. I don't know. That made sense before I typed it out.

« previous 1