Forgotten Classics and Other Lesser Known Books (or No One Has Read this but Me!) discussion

The Quarry Wood
This topic is about The Quarry Wood
2018 Forgotten Books Selections > 7/18 The Quarry Wood by Nan Shepherd

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hugh (last edited Jul 02, 2018 06:16AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hugh (bodachliath) | 279 comments Mod
Apologies for forgetting this yesterday, but July is upon us already so it must be time to start this discussion. I read the book a few weeks ago and enjoyed it a lot, though the dialogue is undoubtedly challenging due to the number of dialect words. These days, Nan Shepherd is best remembered for her wonderful and meditative book on the Cairngorms, The Living Mountain, but she was originally a novelist and this was the first of her three novels.

My review

message 2: by Carol (new) - added it

Carol (carolfromnc) The wiki page for Nan Shepherd is quite deep and worth the read.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nan_S...

One interesting coincidence is that it notes that the Quarry Wood is often compared to Sunset Song, one of our recent selections.

message 3: by carissa (new)

carissa I bought a copy in May, so plan on reading it this month.
I need to find The Living Mountain as well.
I adored Sunset Song Carol, so this should be a pleasure read.

message 4: by Carol (new) - added it

Carol (carolfromnc) carissa wrote: "I bought a copy in May, so plan on reading it this month.
I need to find The Living Mountain as well.
I adored Sunset Song Carol, so this should be a pleasure read."

Wonderful!

Cordelia (anne21) i'm having trouble reading this book. The dialect is extremely difficult to read and understand. Unlike "Sunset Song" the author hasn't anglicised the dialect at all.

message 6: by Hugh (last edited Jul 17, 2018 12:54AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I agree, the dialect is hard work, which makes the dialogue difficult to follow. My copy had a glossary of dialect words and phrases at the back (which I think was in the original book), but it could have been twice as long and still not contained everything I was unsure about (I suspect it was written with non-Aberdonian Scottish readers in mind). Sometimes reading a line aloud helps, but again this will only get you so far. I never felt that these issues were affecting my ability to follow the narrative.

Cordelia (anne21) Yes. My copy has a glossary at the back too. But it only contains some words, not everything.

But, what I doing is let it flow and not worry about what I dont understand. I find I can get a lot of the story. As long as I am not too tired this seems to work.

message 8: by carissa (new)

carissa I'm still reading this...and enjoying it, but doubt I'll finish until next week.

No rush Carissa - we can leave the discussion open and I would like to hear your thoughts.

message 10: by carissa (new)

carissa now...it's 2 weeks later...and Man Booker Fever took me over...I will have to begin at the beginning again sometime this Autumn...

Forgotten Classics and Other Lesser Known Books...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Sunset Song (other topics)
The Living Mountain (other topics)