Doctor Who Book Club - Traveling the Vortex discussion

Book Discussions > August 2014 - Lungbarrow by Marc Platt

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy (ladynovella) | 64 comments Mod
Poll's in, this month's book is Lungbarrow by Marc Platt. I know this one will be a tad difficult to come by, but I got a lot of requests for this one early on in the book club. If you need a copy, check here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3jgs9pabmu0...

Happy Reading!

message 2: by Ben (new)

Ben Reed | 96 comments Scribd has it free as ebook. Amazon has it in print: used $80, new $1800-$2400.

message 3: by Ben (new)

Ben Reed | 96 comments Spoiler warning:

I've begun reading Lunbarrow. So far so good. The ebook format is less satisfying than print but Scribd has it free versus Amazon and some crazy prices.
So far we have a President Romana, and a Castellan Andred names familiar to me as a fan of the fourth Doctor. We also have, although not named, Ace and a time Travelling motorcycle.
One reviewer of this book said they were reading it for the third time and was only then NOT confused by the story. I must admit I too am a little confused so far. The Scribd version opens with what I thought was chapter 1, but wasn't listed as such. At the end of it I turned the virtual page and saw that I was set to start chapter 1. What I had previously read must be, in fact, the prologue. Bit of a confusing jump.
Of note also is that I've come across one picture so far in reading the story. It depicted Ace and her time traveling motorcycle. The picture confirmed, to me at least, that this was in fact Ace. I was disappointed however to see that this motorcycle wasn't a Triumph or similar motorcycle. It was in fact more in line with a Ninja style. Not my personal favorite.
I look forward to seeing where this journey goes.

message 4: by Josh (new)

Josh | 22 comments I've added the ebook to goodreads. Marc Platt made some changes to that edition, so I've put some info about that on the description. Any online versions will probably be the new edition.

Apparently it can take up to 2 days for goodreads to link editions together, so here's the ebook Lungbarrow After 2 days the reviews and series details should be the same for both. I'll try to remember to check though.

message 5: by Ben (new)

Ben Reed | 96 comments My page count is still not accurate, but it's not really a big concern. According to my copy I am now 25% o the way through this story. I can see why at least one reviewer said the story is confusing. It is good but it jumps around so much that it's hard to keep up. I still like the story and love all of the fourth doctor's friends in the story.

message 6: by Holly (new)

Holly | 207 comments Mod
I have to say I'm enjoying this more than I thought I would. Lots of things to keep track of, but I'm loving the mystery and the intrigue, and I'm also enjoying the pictures that have been interspersed though the book. Back to reading.

message 7: by Ben (new)

Ben Reed | 96 comments Spoiler warning:

A quick note while I meander through this tale. It continues to grow on me. It has officially become AWESOME with the appearance of not one but TWO K9's truly the ultimate for me.

message 8: by Keith (new)

Keith Miles (vortexkeith) | 20 comments Ben wrote: "Spoiler warning:

A quick note while I meander through this tale. It continues to grow on me. It has officially become AWESOME with the appearance of not one but TWO K9's truly the ultimate for me."

Ben, you've now convinced me that I MUST read this book.

message 9: by Ben (new)

Ben Reed | 96 comments I promise I am still working on this. It has unfortunately fallen by the wayside. I am hoping to rocket through it before the new month.

message 10: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Kendall (_pochemuchka_) | 31 comments Spoiler? This Dorothee is Ace this is really confusing. Among other things.

I've been pretty excited about this one, but I'm finding it makes precious little sense. I'm getting the impression the writer was trying to be a little too abstract and artful.

The looming thing is interesting, though. The reboot seems to have abandoned it entirely, plus the first Doctor had a grandchild and they've all mentioned having kids at one time or another, so I'm wondering if this is their way of bridging the two ideas--that the Gallifreyans are a looming race, but the Doctor and his children were all born before that became a thing?

Just a theory, perhaps I haven't read far enough.

message 11: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Kendall (_pochemuchka_) | 31 comments Wormhole?? Really?

message 12: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Kendall (_pochemuchka_) | 31 comments Okay, I've finished.

It read like bad a Doctor Who au. The only parts that "felt" like Doctor Who were the Leela, Andred and Romana parts. The Other and Susan part seemed to be shoehorned in to "make it work" and all the House parts remind me of a book I read years ago, it can't quite place.

Doctor Who Book Club - Traveling the Vortex

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Doctor Who: Lungbarrow (other topics)