All About Books discussion

The Scapegoat
This topic is about The Scapegoat
Readalongs > The Scapegoat by Daphne Du Maurier (Jean, Shirley & anyone else?)

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Shirley | 4177 comments Jean and I are reading this in August - if anyone wishes to join in, you would be very welcome!

Shirley | 4177 comments Jean - I've started this, but I expect it will take me a while to read - so don't worry!

Susan Barlow I'm in

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I think I'll give this one a miss. Du Maurier has had lots of my attention this year so I will read this another time in the future. Enjoy!

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) Oh hello, a special thread! Great, thanks! I'll start it next then - maybe in a week's time :) Hope you're enjoying it, Shirley.

message 6: by Pink (new)

Pink I was going to join with this, but I have a bit of a Du Maurier backlog at the moment!

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) Must admit I've missed one out for later... the Branwell Bronte one. Maybe join in later Pink, in your own time? :)

message 8: by Pink (new)

Pink I'll definitely join in later if I read it, I've actually decided to read the Branwell Bronte book next for my Du Maurier reads and picked it up from the library yesterday. I had a quick flick through (it's an ancient looking edition) and it seemed promising as I usually enjoy biographies.

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) Ooops! Maybe I should have stuck to the plan! LOL! I thought I was the only one reading the Branwell Bronte book! I'll definitely get on to that too though eventually, Pink, as I have it on my Kindle ready ;) I'll be interested to hear your thoughts - maybe on the DDM readalong thread if not a review?

message 10: by Pink (new)

Pink I'll be sure to post about it somewhere once I've read it, I only just decided to go with this one, as I haven't been sticking to plan lately! I still have 2 other Du Maurier books on my shelf that I haven't read yet, Frenchman's creek and The House on the strand, so lots of catching up to do.

Shirley | 4177 comments I've just finished this. Really enjoyed it and found it very engrossing, but it still doesn't knock Rebecca off her pedestal.

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) "take me a while to read" indeed. I should have known better than to believe that, Shirley! LOL This is Daphne du Maurier we're talking about, and when you start you can't stop!

Glad you enjoyed it anyway. I don't remember it being quite as good as either Rebecca or My Cousin Rachel, either.

Did anyone see the TV dramatisation on around New Year time? I'm not sure how closely it kept to the book...

Shirley | 4177 comments Ha ha, well that's true enough! Once I started getting into the story, that was me hooked! I'm not sure about the ending of this one though, although I don't mind it being ambiguous, I thought it was a little weak.

I didn't see the dramatisation. A shame, because I would have recorded it.

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) It wasn't that good really, so I'm not sure they'll bother repeating it! Can't even remember any of the cast either! It wasn't an ambiguous ending in the TV dramatisation, although she loves her ambiguity in the novels, doesn't she. The, "did they or didn't they?" thing?

Susan Barlow I've finished it this morning. I didn't like it as much as Rebecca or some of her other books. I really had a problem suspending disbelief with the whole premise. Could anyone just slot into someone else's life with such ease in just one week? This spoilt the story to some extent for me.

message 16: by Bionic Jean (last edited Aug 25, 2014 02:58AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) I finished this last evening, and agree about the ending, Shirley. It felt like a cop-out to me - not at all in keeping with the great Dame's usual standard. She usually has a twist - often a nasty one too - or a massive ambiguity, doesn't she?

But I enjoyed the book's atmosphere, and did manage to suspend my disbelief, Susan. I think because the whole thing was so dream-like. So it worked for me just by the skill of her writing. I can see your point though.

About the TV film dramatisation. Matthew Rhys played the two doppelganger parts, and I enjoyed watching it. I don't usually watch one before reading the book, but thought it would be OK since this was a reread. What I'd failed to take into account was that I'd forgotten most of it! But I wouldn't recommend the TV drama to anyone intending to read it. And if you have already, it might make you cross unless you think of it as an entirely different story!

It's set in England, not France, a year before the coronation. So all the French flavour she conveyed so well is irrelevant! And the time period is later. The characters and story are different too...(view spoiler)

Although I'm really annoyed about all the changes, and it has confused me no end when I try to remember the novel, I do prefer that ending! LOL

Shirley | 4177 comments Wow, they really changed the story, didn't they? It is almost unrecognizable! Good point about the ending, Jean, I thought (view spoiler)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) Yes, Shirley, I think that would have been better. Daphne should have talked to you! :D The penultimate part, with the mistress in the adjoining village, was so drawn-out that I wondered if she herself had difficulty knowing how to finish it off!

I gather she wrote it very quickly, so there might not have been much editing. I'll look into this (the backgound) now before I write my review :)

Shirley | 4177 comments Ah yes, if she wrote it quickly, that would make sense. Maybe she thought of "my ending" but thought it was too easy to predict?

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) But wouldn't it have given a feeling of satisfaction? It seems so much more in keeping with her usual choices, it's as if we were waiting for that all along! Sort of wanting to know who (if anyone) would stay, and who would go? And then...

Shirley | 4177 comments Yes it would. Instead, it left me feeling a bit flat, especially as the rest of the story was so well written.

message 22: by Shirley (last edited Aug 25, 2014 09:43AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shirley | 4177 comments Here's a link to my review:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) Thanks Shirley. Just finished mine too, here's the link. A good way to spend a wet day! :D

I'll go and read yours straightaway :)