The Great American Read discussion

Lonesome Dove (Lonesome Dove, #1)
This topic is about Lonesome Dove
PAST Group Reads 2018 > Lonesome Dove, General Discussion- Summer- NO Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Jul 02, 2018 06:29AM) (new) - added it

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 1835 comments Mod
This is our first BIG BOOK Group read. This is a PRE-READ (No spoilers) thread for early comments about the book, availability, tips, and encouragement by those who read it already.

Feel free to discuss your first impressions of the characters and the beginning of the book, but please don't discuss the ending.

Karen will facilitate the discussion. Thanks Karen!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Happy to be here! I look forward to reading this Big Book with everyone.

Paula Lonesome Dove, in addition to being a wonderful story, is an interesting place. Colorful characters. Dusty. Almost bleak, if not for the colorful characters. Enjoy, everyone.

message 4: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellamc) | 300 comments I just bought myself a remainder copy earlier this year and told myself "you must read that before the year ends." So I'm SO thrilled we're reading this (and that I got a new copy for under $2!)

message 5: by NancyJ, Moderator (new) - added it

Ella wrote: "I just bought myself a remainder copy earlier this year and told myself "you must read that before the year ends." So I'm SO thrilled we're reading this (and that I got a new copy for under $2!)"

Dumb question, but how do you get a remainder copy? It's new?

message 6: by Joy, Your Obedient Servant (last edited Jul 02, 2018 06:36PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joy (jammons42) | 510 comments Mod
I had never heard of this book before GAR and Western isn't usually a genre I reach for.

So I am interested in seeing how I feel about the book.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Preliminary reading guidelines:
Read Part 1 by August 1
Read Part 2 by Sept 1
Read Part 3 by Sept 22

This is the suggested reading schedule that Nancy posted in the other thread.

message 8: by Pam (last edited Jul 08, 2018 01:43PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pam (bluegrasspam) I've already started it since I want to finish it by Aug 31. I figured I have to read 14 pages/day to meet my goal so that's what I am doing, while I finish my library books. I like it so far! I started watching the mini-series, so now I have those actors in my mind for the characters. I wish I wouldn't have done that! It is interesting to read a section and think, "I remember that scene/conversation." Is anyone else watching the mini-series or already seen it? Somehow I missed it when it originally aired.

message 9: by NancyJ, Moderator (new) - added it

Pam wrote: "I've already started it since I want to finish it by Aug 31. I figured I have to read 14 pages/day to meet my goal so that's what I am doing, while I finish my library books. I like it so far! I st..."

I took it out from the library and watched some of it with my brother a few days ago. We were talking too much so I couldn't keep track of the characters. I hope to forget which one was Tommy Lee Jones because I don't want to insert his personality (from other roles) into the character when I read the book.

message 10: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 08, 2018 06:52PM) (new)

I haven't read the book before. I really like the old west genre so I'm excited to read the book. I did see the tv show in 1989 but I don't remember much of it. I'll watch it again once I've read the book.

Genevieve (gcottraux) | 2 comments I have read the book and love it! I hope everyone participating will be as enthralled as I was.

message 12: by Joy, Your Obedient Servant (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joy (jammons42) | 510 comments Mod
I'm hoping to start it this week!

message 13: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellamc) | 300 comments I'm finishing A Tree Grows (OK, I just started it, but I plan to read it quickly as it was a childhood favorite of mine) then I'm hitting Lonesome Dove. I'm hoping to keep up with the dates above, but I've not started it yet, so I may play just be sliding into base on August 1st.

Parker | 204 comments We watched the movie when it first was on, which is why I read the book (I've read the entire series).

The best I remember, it's a pretty fast read, even tbough it's long. Very easy to get caught up in the happenings.

message 15: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 68 comments My library hold should be tready tomorrow. I never had any desire to read this because the title made it seem like a romance novel to me. I have since read reviews from men and women and it appears it's much more than that, so I'm in!

message 16: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellamc) | 300 comments Sue wrote: "My library hold should be tready tomorrow. I never had any desire to read this because the title made it seem like a romance novel to me. I have since read reviews from men and women and it appears..."

I had no idea what it was about, but also no desire to read it until recently when it seemed suddenly everyone I knew was reading it or talking about it and they all (like, every single one) loved it without reserve, so I'm very interested in reading this.

message 17: by Roxanne (new)

Roxanne (roxyrolla) | 1 comments I read this book a hundred years ago, and I watched the miniseries when it aired here in Canada. Don't remember when that would have been. Anyway, loved both, but 99% of the time I'll say the book was better! Maybe it's time for a reread, we'll see if I find the time. Hope everyone else enjoys this book!!!

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Great Roxanne!

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Image result for lonesome dove red river
image: slap happy larry

message 20: by NancyJ, Moderator (new) - added it

Karen wrote: "
image: slap happy larry"

Wow I wonder long it takes them to cover all that territory on horses?

Thanks Karen!

message 21: by NancyJ, Moderator (new) - added it

Is anyone else reading or planning to start reading this book?

Cathy (cathy1015) | 54 comments I'm reading Lonesome Dove and have recently begun part 2 - really enjoying it although it's a departure from my typical reads, but in a good way. I love the way McMurtry blends dialogue, description (especially of nature), and humor. I feel like his writing style is unique although I think this may be one of the only westerns that I've ever read.

message 23: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Aug 21, 2018 11:37PM) (new) - added it

Cathy wrote: "I'm reading Lonesome Dove and have recently begun part 2 - really enjoying it although it's a departure from my typical reads, but in a good way. I love the way McMurtry blends dialogue, descriptio..."

It's good to hear. He also wrote many non-westerns, such as Terms of Endearment, which was very popular.

message 24: by Atl (new)

Atl (dark_leo) I’m planning on reading, I bought a copy last Saturday. I have to finish fellowship of the ring, dune and wuthering heights first.

message 25: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Aug 28, 2018 09:03PM) (new) - added it

Atlanta wrote: "I’m planning on reading, I bought a copy last Saturday. I have to finish fellowship of the ring, dune and wuthering heights first."

Is that all? LOL I was trying to fit Dune in but it will have to wait. Fellowship is moving up the list though. Lonesome Dove was different from the others so it was sort of refreshing. I hope you like it.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Image result for lonesome dove
image: true west magazine

The True History of Lonesome Dove
https://truewestmagazine.com/the-true...

message 27: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 31, 2018 07:42AM) (new)

Related image

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Image result for lonesome dove

message 30: by Pam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pam (bluegrasspam) I just watched a Longmire episode which had a clue that tied into Lonesome Dove. Clever way to include literature in the show! If you are interested, it’s S6:E6 on Netflix.

message 31: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 31, 2018 10:38AM) (new)

Oh, I vaguely remember that. I'll have to watch that episode again.

message 32: by Atl (new)

Atl (dark_leo) Do you recommend longmire?

message 33: by Pam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pam (bluegrasspam) Atlanta wrote: "Do you recommend longmire?"

I love it! I had stopped watching it after season 5, which was a weird disturbing kind of season. I started season 6, which I like much more, yesterday and I've been binge watching it since then. There's an extra level of interest for me in that it is filmed here in NM, just north of where I live.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Atlanta wrote: "Do you recommend longmire?"

Yes, absolutely! You must read the series as well. Book #14 was just released this month. Fantastic series.

message 35: by Atl (new)

Atl (dark_leo) I’ll look it up

Parker | 204 comments Absolutely! The characters are great (my favourite is Henry). The TV series is good too, although a bit different from the books.

message 37: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 08, 2018 07:14AM) (new)

Is anyone interested in a buddy read with me, towards January?

Book 2 Streets of Laredo by Larry McMurtry Streets of Laredo

message 38: by Blueberry (last edited Sep 09, 2018 09:01AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Blueberry (blueberry1) I will. Just remind me in January. I was going to do Dead Man's Walk first but that's changeable.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Sounds good

message 40: by Atl (new)

Atl (dark_leo) I bought a copy at the library booksale so I might as well as start it once I finish fellowship of the ring.

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) I read this novel when it first came out. All I remember about it is it was every entertaining and shocking in parts.

I am this starting it basically as a new read for me today.

: )

message 42: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Sep 21, 2018 05:06PM) (new) - added it

aPriL does feral sometimes wrote: "I read this novel when it first came out. All I remember about it is it was every entertaining and shocking in parts.

I am this starting it basically as a new read for me today.

: )"

It's long, but it will probably be a quick read for you. When I return to the series I plan to read one of the prequels rather than the sequel.

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) I have an interest in the prequels as well. I never did read any more of the series.

: )

Blueberry (blueberry1) I juat finished Dead Man's Walk. Another 5 ☆☆☆☆☆.

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm looking forward to reading the whole series

message 46: by NancyJ, Moderator (new) - added it

Blueberry wrote: "I juat finished Dead Man's Walk. Another 5 ☆☆☆☆☆."

Great to hear. Thanks and welcome back!