YW Adelaide discussion

August - Date, time and venue

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 25 comments Mod
Hi Everyone,

At yesterday's meetup we were thinking to have our next meeting on the 16th of August, which is a Thursday, at the Edinburgh Castle http://edinburghcastlehotel.com/, moving to different pubs around the city.

I'll book for 6:30 but if anyone wants to meet up earlier if they work in or just outside the city, we can do that too.

Please let me know if this suits : ) I'll book towards the end of July.

Most importantly, the next book will be a mystery with a strong female lead. Mel has provided a link https://bookriot.com/2018/05/21/28-fa...
that has really good suggestions.

message 2: by Chantel (new)

Chantel | 14 comments That date and time works for me :)
(As I said at the meet up yesterday, if this date doesn't work for everyone, I'm happy to read along on my own and I'll see you guys at another meet up once all my travelling is done, sorry to be such a pain!)

As for the next book, that list has so many good suggestions! I'd really be up for anything on it, haha!
One's that particularly interested me:
Elizabeth Peters - Crocodile on the Sandbank
Kerry Greenwood - Cocaine Blues
Janet Evanovich - One for the Money

message 3: by Mel (new)

Mel (animelanie) | 33 comments Mod
Hi all,

That all works for me, I'll probably get there at 6pm on the night if others are interested in getting there then too?

I read through the list (thanks Danielle for reposting it as I hadn't read it all!) and the ones that looked interesting to me were pretty much all starts of series... hmmm. Anyway, here they are:

The Crossing Places (Ruth Galloway #1) by Elly Griffiths
Murder Most Unladylike (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries #1) by Robin Stevens
Follow her Home (Juniper Song #1) by Steph Cha
A is for Alibi (Kinsey Millhone #1) by Sue Grafton
Indemnity Only (V.I. Warshawski #1) by Sara Paretsky

Cheers
Mel

message 4: by Kyle (last edited Jul 03, 2018 04:50PM) (new)

Kyle Marie | 25 comments Hi Everyone,

I will probably arrive slightly after 6:30pm as I will need to wait for the husband to get home to look after the children.

I am happy with any recommendation.

Looking forward to finding out what our next book is.

message 5: by Adele (new)

Adele (Adele_reads) | 33 comments Mod
Happy with any of the books. I’ve read a few of the Agatha Raisin books, they’re pretty good :) the rest look exciting so I’m happy with any on the list.

I’m fine with the date but I might also be late depending if I’m working in the West or North that day. :)

message 6: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Marie | 25 comments Shall we set up a poll for the books mentioned above ?

message 7: by Danielle (new)

I've just put up a poll for all the books listed above. It should open after midnight tonight. It closes on the 14th. Happy choosing : )

message 8: by Danielle (new)

Hi Guys,

We have a three-way tie between Crocodile on the Sandbank, Cocaine Blues and Murder Most Unladylike. They all sound great. Not sure what to do in this situation so I've made another poll with these books only. It'll be open for 24 hours, hopefully this is enough time to narrow it down to one. Unless someone else has a better way to choose our next book? Everyone is welcome to participate.

message 9: by Danielle (new)

We have a winner!!!

It's Crocodile on the Sandbank by Amelia Peabody. Hope everyone enjoys reading.

I'll make a booking towards the end of the month : )

message 10: by Kyle (last edited Jul 18, 2018 04:46PM) (new)

Kyle Marie | 25 comments Thank you for sorting this out Danielle. Looking forward to reading the book.

message 11: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 2 comments hi ladies. I have just joined your group. I haven't been a member of a book club before.
I have requested the book from my library, hopefully it is available soon. I look forward to attending my first meeting

message 12: by Danielle (new)

Hi Samantha : ) It'll be great to meet you. We're a friendly group with very relaxed approach, we tend to go with the flow. This is my first book club too. Thanks for joining us, hope you enjoy the book : )

message 13: by Mel (new)

Mel (animelanie) | 33 comments Mod
Hi everyone,
Just letting you know I won't be able to make the next book club meeting - I've taken on quite a bit for the next few months and don't have anytime to read a book (BOO!) and can't make the meeting.
Hope it goes well, let me know when the next meeting is =)
Have a good couple of months
Mel

message 14: by Danielle (new)

Hi Everyone,

The Ed Castle isn't open on Thursday the 16th : ( I'm really sorry. Would everyone be fine if I booked the Gilbert Street Hotel instead? Unless there's another suggestion... Please let me know : )

Catch up with you Mel at the next meet up, hope you've been well and warm : )

message 15: by Chantel (new)

Chantel | 14 comments Gilbert Street Hotel is fine for me.

Sorry you won't be able to make it Mel, hope you're not too snowed under! Will hopefully see you at another meet up soon :)

message 16: by Danielle (last edited Aug 15, 2018 06:00PM) (new)

Hi Everyone,

Just letting you know that I've booked the Gilbert St Hotel for 6:30pm tomorrow (fine to arrive when you can) under 'Danielle'. If you can't make it, please let us know on this page. Hope to see you there : ) Really sorry about the short notice in venue change.

https://www.gilbertsthotel.com.au/

message 17: by Kyle (new)

Unfortunately I am not going to be able to make this weeks get together. My step daughter currently has conjunctivitis (which is contagious). I don't want to risk spreading it as it isn't pleasant. My husband is also having to work late this week.

Hopefully I will see everyone at the next meeting.

Kyle

message 18: by Adele (new)

Adele (Adele_reads) | 33 comments Mod
sorry guys I''m working out at roseworthy tonight and I won't be getting out till six. Have fun !

message 19: by Danielle (new)

I'm going to cancel tonight's meet up as only a couple of us can attend. It gets busy sometimes (I've got to finish up shopping for my trip too). Hopefully we can organise another time in October. Gilbert St hotel or another place. I hope this is fine with everyone.

message 20: by Kyle (new)

Sorry to hear the last meeting never happened.

I wondered if we would like to choose another book before we meet again. This will give us the chance to discuss two and it also gives us something to read. If we meet mid-end of October it would give us 6/7 weeks to read something.

I also understand that it is a busy time for everyone so if this is a no no then no worries.

I was thinking we could look for a more light hearted book.

Kyle

message 21: by Chantel (last edited Aug 28, 2018 09:32PM) (new)

Chantel | 14 comments It's a shame our last meeting fell through, but understandable, as I know for me it's been a very busy time and I only finished (or forcefully dragged myself by getting 5 minutes here and there in my day lol) Crocodile on the Sandbank on the day of the intended meetup, so I can only imagine what it was like for everyone else as they're trying to juggle a busy schedule!

I think that's a great idea though, Kyle. Meeting in mid-late October to do the August book and another book works for me.
It is a busy time though as you said, even if everyone just goes with one book or the other if they don't have time to do both, but yeah, whatever the consensus is, is fine with me :)

message 22: by Danielle (new)

Hi, I'm really sorry about last meet up. That was my poor planning skills. I wasn't sure if anybody would turn up. It would be good to add everyone to the Whatsapp chat who'd like to attend future events so we can relay messages in real time. I'm really sorry if anybody was put off. I also realise that I didn't add all the book recommendations from last time. Very sorry. I have a big tendency to miss important details I'm happy to have another meet up whenever suits everbody (best we have a new organiser lol). I'm happy for any kind of book and venue. But I recommend Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn. The TV show and book are my new obsession. Hope all is well with everybody and look foward to meeting up again!