Debate discussion

The Government > freepers, birthers, morons

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizgore) | 3163 comments Freepers, Birthers, Morons of all stripe, You didn't get mad...

You didn't get mad when the Supreme Court stopped a legal recount and appointed a President.

You didn't get mad when Cheney allowed Energy company officials to dictate energy policy.

You didn't get mad when a covert CIA operative got outed.

You didn't get mad when the Patriot Act got passed.

You didn't get mad when we illegally invaded a country that posed no threat to us.

You didn't get mad when we spent over 600 billion(and counting) on said illegal war.

You didn't get mad when over 10 billion dollars just disappeared in Iraq.

You didn't get mad when you saw the Abu Grahib photos.

You didn't get mad when you found out we were torturing people.

You didn't get mad when the government was illegally wiretapping Americans.

You didn't get mad when we didn't catch Bin Laden.

You didn't get mad when you saw the horrible conditions at Walter Reed.

You didn't get mad when we let a major US city drown.

You didn't get mad when the deficit hit the trillion dollar mark.

You finally got mad when.. when... wait for it... when the government decided that people in America deserved the right to see a doctor if they are sick. Yes, illegal wars, lies, corruption, torture, stealing your tax dollars to make the rich richer, are all ok with you but helping other Americans... well fuck that. That about right? You know it is.

You people have all lost your fucking minds. You are selfish, greedy, obnoxious, narcissistic, and frankly... stupid. Your pathetic little misspelled protest signs are embarrassing. Maybe you ought to find the smart person in your midst and let them make up all the signs, cause man, you look like a bunch of idiots. Also you're ugly and your mother dresses you funny.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/...

message 2: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizgore) | 3163 comments is it just me or does this make you mad?

message 3: by Sheeky (new)

Sheeky (sheekster) That's pretty selfish.....oh and whats a freepers, birthers, and morons of all stripe?

message 4: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizgore) | 3163 comments What is selfish?

message 5: by Sheeky (new)

Sheeky (sheekster) The fact that ppl get mad just cuz the government decided that people in America deserved the right to see a doctor if they're sick.

message 6: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizgore) | 3163 comments Exactly! I thought you were disagreeing with me... People need to get their minds out of the gutters.

message 7: by Sheeky (new)

Sheeky (sheekster) Yep. I mean....not getting mad over the war and stuff but getting mad over people needing to see a doctor? That's jacked up.

message 8: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizgore) | 3163 comments I am glad to have somebody on the same page.

message 9: by Aj (new)

Aj | 8 comments i agree!!!!

message 10: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizgore) | 3163 comments :)

message 11: by Sheeky (new)

Sheeky (sheekster) Liz wrote: "I am glad to have somebody on the same page. "

No problem. Wait, do other peeps disagree with u or something?

message 12: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizgore) | 3163 comments Yep.

message 13: by Sheeky (new)

Sheeky (sheekster) How is that even.........possible...........?

message 14: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizgore) | 3163 comments I don't know. People can be pretty retarded. They are brainwashed by the right-wing media.

message 15: by Sheeky (new)

Sheeky (sheekster) Hmph.

message 16: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizgore) | 3163 comments I feel the same.

message 17: by Jayda (new)

Jayda Just curious, Liz... how do you know that people on my side didn't necessarily get mad about this stuff?

message 18: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizgore) | 3163 comments The point is people weren't bombarding town meetings because of the above, but they are for healthcare. AAANNNDDD! They weren't freaking out and such.

message 19: by Jayda (new)

Jayda Our side wasn't. There's a bit of a difference in sides, I think.

And you don't know that for certain.
My family was angry with at least some of this stuff.

message 20: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments And I'm sure you did the patriotic thing and voiced your displeasure with conservative values then?

message 21: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizgore) | 3163 comments Than why didn't they picket? Why didn't they attend town meetings? Why didn't they get involved until now?

message 22: by Erik (new)

Erik (charkol) It just goes to show that we should keep our noses in our own business--->get out of Iraq and nowwww the cry is 'get out of Afghanistan', or else it should be soon. The people are much more responsive to what affects them directly as opposed to indirectly.

message 23: by Ed (new)

Ed (ejhahn) Liz wrote: "Freepers, Birthers, Morons of all stripe, You didn't get mad...

You didn't get mad when the Supreme Court stopped a legal recount and appointed a President.

You didn't get mad when Cheney al..."

Great message, Liz. Keep the wires burning.

message 24: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizgore) | 3163 comments Keep the wires burning?

message 25: by Ed (new)

Ed (ejhahn) Liz wrote: "Keep the wires burning? "

Keep the ether burning?

I'm old school. When someone sent a nasty telegram or Twix or fax, we described it as burning up the wires (it's hot?)

Also used to describe angry phone calls as in, "She called her friend and burned up the wires when she found out she was not invited."

I did enjoy your posting.

message 26: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizgore) | 3163 comments okay :)

message 27: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 6408 comments Ah Liz i love you

message 28: by David (new)

David (primemover) I agree completely with this. Also, concerning health care, their is nothing in the bill that says that people are forced to use goverment health care. Its simply an ALTERNATIVE. A much cheaper alternative for people without money to spend on the other companies.

message 29: by James (new)

James Wilkinson | 205 comments That's human nature. There was a poll recently in the UK which asked citizens which crimes they considered as most in need of tackling. Anti-social behaviour and littering were the top two. Murder, rape, robbery...nowhere near. A husband and wife got six years in jail for embezzlement, whereas a man who killed a young girl while drink driving got a 300 pound fine. Money comes first in the court of law, then it is a human life.

message 30: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (djinni) | 7365 comments Mod
Maybe the question was phrased in a way that implied that what else needs tackling, and the three you said were a given.

message 31: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizgore) | 3163 comments Chandani wrote: "Ah Liz i love you"

<3~!

message 32: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 12 comments Great rant Liz! I totally agree!

message 33: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizgore) | 3163 comments thank you. people need to get their priorities in check. personally I think healthcare isn't evil but war is.

message 34: by Riley (new)

Riley (booksarecool) | 2246 comments Really? So you're saying that killing billions of people is evil, and saving people's lives isn't? Wow, I never looked at it that way before. :D

*in case you couldn't tell, taht was sarcasm

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

James wrote: "That's human nature. There was a poll recently in the UK which asked citizens which crimes they considered as most in need of tackling. Anti-social behaviour and littering were the top two. Murd..." i never heard of a fine for the death of a girl in a car accident

message 36: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizgore) | 3163 comments Riley! exactly

message 37: by Riley (new)

Riley (booksarecool) | 2246 comments :D lolz

message 38: by Carole (new)

Carole B (caroleaburkett) | 91 comments If you have valid points, it is possible to phrase them without vulgar language.
The things on this list infuriate many people, on both sides of 'the fence'. Most people don't picket when they get mad, they do things to try to change the actions.
Picketing, though obvious and media-drawing, is not the only, or the best, way to show anger or make change.
And the bias of the media is, like beauty, ironically enough, in the eye of the beholder.

message 39: by Annaka (new)

Annaka (lustzumreisen) Did you know that most people can afford healthcare already or are on Medicare? And there are tons of people who could get it but just aren't taking advantage of it? Well it's true.

Also, do you know the real problem with government-run healthcare? Because every time the government gets involved with issues like this, they make a mess. Under this new healthcare plan, who will the doctors be working for? Us? Nooooooo they'll be working for the government. So why should they care? We wouldn't be paying the bill! The government would, so that's who they work for.

Also, there is still the problem that the people who work hard to earn a living and support their families would have to pay for the people who have totally wasted their lives and not tried to go to college and HAVE a life and a job! There is no motivation in that! What successful, working person do you know who would want to go to work every day only for the money to be used for someone else?

This is also the problem with many other government programs that give money to people like this. It is why you will call me selfish. And greedy. And obnoxious. And narcissistic. And frankly... stupid. It is why you say I've lost my mind, but I believe that everyone in America has an oppoptunity to learn, get a job, and be successful. We are extremely blessed to live in this country, no matter how clueless our leader may be right now. If this were a third world country, I would see your point, but this is America and everyone has that opportunity.

Questions?

message 40: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (djinni) | 7365 comments Mod
"Nooooooo they'll be working for the government. So why should they care?"

Doctors have something called the Hippocratic Oath. It's their job to care. They wouldn't suddenly stop caring.

"Also, there is still the problem that the people who work hard to earn a living and support their families would have to pay for the people who have totally wasted their lives and not tried to go to college and HAVE a life and a job! There is no motivation in that! What successful, working person do you know who would want to go to work every day only for the money to be used for someone else? "

Someone doesn't understand Universal Healthcare. You need to go do some research.

"If this were a third world country, I would see your point, but this is America and everyone has that opportunity.
'

So, the millions of people below the poverty line in America have all the opportunity in the world?

message 41: by James (new)

James Wilkinson | 205 comments My wife has a half-brother who failed high school because he spent every waking hour earning enough money to keep a roof above his head, as well as for his mother, who spent every moment of her life popping pills. My wife also has another half-brother and half-sister. The half-brother is living with his father and stepmother who each pop pills and drink all day. There is no money coming into the house and therefore no food, so he comes around to a relative's house and fills out on junk food. The half-sister is a kleptomaniac and no school wants her. She has been beaten by her father in the past and now they don't want her, so she lives with a relative who has no control over her. She has self-harmed in the past, and had been sectioned briefly after a failed suicide attempt. But yes, Annie, I see your point. They have wasted their lives and deserve everything that is thrown at them.

message 42: by David (new)

David (primemover) What's your point?

message 43: by James (new)

James Wilkinson | 205 comments In a nutshell - not everyone is dealt the same cards, and therefore to assume that everyone has the same chances in life is extremely naive.

message 44: by David (new)

David (primemover) I agree.

message 45: by Dan (last edited Oct 30, 2009 01:59PM) (new)

Dan Did you know that most people can afford healthcare already or are on Medicare?

Well that's a nice "statistic." I have a job that provides me with healthcare, but it's not great, and I can't afford better healthcare if I want to be able to do such selfish things as eat food and put gas in my car. My girlfriend can't afford healthcare because she doesn't work that much, since she spends most of her time doing a very irresponsible thing: putting herself through school. She sometimes has medical problems that she has to ignore, since she can't afford to go see a doctor about them.

Because every time the government gets involved with issues like this, they make a mess.

Countries with a government-run healthcare program have lower infant mortality rates and longer life expectancies, which are two pretty good metrics for measuring the quality of a healthcare system. And they do so at a lower cost. No, you're right, government fucks everything up. Like that government-run program, what was it called, World War II? Yeah, we sure botched that one.

The quality of the American healthcare system is similar to that of Cuba's. And at about ten times the cost. And we are the richest nation in the world. This is a travesty.

Under this new healthcare plan, who will the doctors be working for? Us? Nooooooo they'll be working for the government.

Um, let's pretend this is true, which it isn't. The government is us. "Of the people, for the people, by the people." Sound familiar? The way the system is set up now, doctors are paid per treatment, which incentivizes a high quantity of expensive, perhaps unnecessary, treatment, wasting our money and driving up healthcare costs. Doctors, such as those at the Mayo Clinic, who are salaried, provide higher-quality, lower-cost care. Where a paycheck comes from (government, private company) has less to do with quality and cost of care than how a paycheck is calculated.

What successful, working person do you know who would want to go to work every day only for the money to be used for someone else?

You know that the money we earn in our jobs right now does get "used for someone else," right? Our money builds their roads, funds their military, pays their social security, regulates their polluters, pays their unemployment, funds their police and firefighters, and, yes, pays for their healthcare, whether through medicare, medicaid, government covering the costs of uninsured emergency room visits, etc. Yet, people have no problem finding the motivation to drag their asses out of bed every morning to go to work.

That you would let people die so you don't have to "subsidize deadbeats" is unconscionable.

message 46: by David (new)

David (primemover) You just got TOLD!

message 47: by Lorna (new)

Lorna | 1273 comments Long - windedly ...

message 48: by Dan (new)

Dan I prefer the term "thoroughly."

message 49: by David (new)

David (primemover) LOL

message 50: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizgore) | 3163 comments Nicely put Dan.

« previous 1