Fans of Eloisa James & Julia Quinn discussion

Monday Puzzler > 1 July 18 - I Got it this Week!

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Hill | 487 comments I am sorry about the mix up last week! I hope everyone is enjoying their summer!
I really really really liked this book. It doesn't to me strike me as popular as its sister series.

She heard a man’s voice, as soft as frayed velvet. Or rather, she felt his voice, the heat of his breath against her forehead. She began to tremble violently. “Why are you here?” he asked. “Mr. Hero,” she whispered shakily. “I-its very dark in here.” “I like the dark.” She fought to catch her breath. “Did you really f-find it necessary to give me such a start?” “I didn’t plan to. You walked right by me. I couldn’t help myself.” Heroine’s fear gave way to indignation. He was not at all sorry he had frightened her… He had intended to. “You’ve been following me,” she accused. “You’ve been watching me all morning.” “I said last night I didn’t want you here.” “Mr. Worthy said it was all right—” “I own the club, not Worthy.” Heroine was tempted to tell him how ungrateful he was, after what she had done for him last night. But she didn’t think it wise to argue with him while she was trapped here. She began to inch backward, toward the crack of light where the secret door had been left ajar. “You’re right,” she said in a subdued voice. “You’re absolutely right. I-I believe I’ll go now.” But he didn’t release his grip on her, and she was forced to stand still. “Tell me what made you decide to write about gambling.” Blinking in the darkness, Heroine tried to gather her wits. “Well… there was a boy in my village. A very nice, intelligent boy, who came into a small inheritance. It would have been enough to keep him comfortable for many years. But he decided to try and increase his wealth, not by honest means, but by gambling. He lost it all in one night. At your club, Mr. Hero.” He shrugged indifferently. “Happens all the time.” “But it wasn’t enough for him,” Heroine said. “He continued to gamble, certain that with each roll
of the dice he would regain what he had lost. He gambled away his home, his horses and possessions, what was left of his money… He became the disgrace of Greenwood Corners. It made me wonder what had driven him to such behavior. I asked him about it, and he said he hadn’t been able to stop himself. He was reduced to tears as he told me that after he had lost everything at Hero’s, he sold his boots to someone on the street and played cards barefoot at a local gaming hell. Naturally this made me wonder about the other lives that have been ruined by cards and dice. The fortunes that are lost nightly at the hazard table could be used for much nobler purposes than lining your pockets.” She sensed his sardonic smile. “I agree, Miss Fielding. But one piddling book won’t stop anyone from gambling. Anything you write will only make them do it more.” “That’s not true,” she said stiffly. “Did Mathilda stop anyone from visiting whores?” “I believe it made the public regard prostitutes in a more sympathetic light—” “Whores will always spread their legs for a price,” he said evenly, “and people will always put their money on a bet. Publish your book about gambling, and see how much good it does. See if it keeps anyone on the straight-and-narrow. I’d sooner expect a dead man to fart.” Heroine flushed. “Doesn’t it ever bother you to see the broken men walking from your club, with no money, no hope, no future? Don’t you feel responsible in any way?” “They’re not brought in at gunpoint. They come to Hero’s to gamble. I give them what they want. And I make a fortune from it. If I didn’t, someone else would.” “That is the most selfish, callous statement I’ve ever heard—” “I was born in the rookery, Miss Fielding. Abandoned in the street, raised by whores, nursed on milk and gin. Those scrawny little bastards you’ve seen, the pickpockets and beggars and palmers… I was one of them. I saw fine carriages rattling down the street. I stared through tavern windows at all the fat old gentlemen eating and drinking until their bellies were full. I realized there was a world outside the rookery. I swore I’d do anything— anything— to get my share of it. That’s all I’ve ever cared about.” He laughed softly. “And you think I should give a damn about some young fop in satin breeches throwing his money away at my club?” Heroine’s heart hammered wildly. She had never been alone in the dark with a man. She wanted to
escape— every instinct warned that she was in danger. But deeper still, there was a spark of unthinkable fascination… as if she were poised at the doorway of a forbidden world. “In my opinion,” she said, “you use your poor beginnings as a convenient excuse to… to discard all the ethics the rest of us must live by.” “Ethics,” he sneered. “I couldn’t name one man, rich or poor, who wouldn’t discard them for the right price.” “I wouldn’t,” she said steadily. Hero fell silent. He was acutely aware of the small woman so close to him, buttoned and ruffled, cocooned in high-neck propriety. She smelled like starch and soap, like all the other spinsters he’d had the misfortune to meet… the governesses of his patrons’ aristocratic sons, and the maiden aunts who chaperoned untouchable young ladies, and the bluestockings who preferred a book in their hands to a man in their beds. “On the shelf” was what such women were called— objects that had lost their freshness and were stored away until they might serve some convenient purpose. But there was a difference between her and the rest. She had shot a man last night. For him. His brows pulled together until his wound ached. “I would like to leave now,” she said. “Not yet.” “Mr. Worthy will be looking for me.” “I’m not finished talking with you.” “Must it be here?” “It’ll be anywhere I decide. I have something you want, Miss Heroine— permission to visit my club. What will you offer in return?” “I can’t think of anything.” “I never give something for nothing.” “What do you want me to offer?” “You’re a writer, Miss Heroine,” he jeered. “Use your imagination.”

message 2: by Leigh-Ayn (new)

Leigh-Ayn | 1207 comments oooh no idea!! It sounds familiar but I don't remember reading a book about an author :( mmn
PS you left her name in a couple of times...not that that in anyway helped me hahahahaha

message 3: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2102 comments Mod
Oh I know the author. Can’t remember the book name

message 4: by Manda (new)

Manda Collins (manda_collins) | 1925 comments Mod
I know it!

message 5: by Leigh-Ayn (new)

Leigh-Ayn | 1207 comments Ok... I know the book now lol Just by chance I was enabled on twitter to read this book haha and I literally just started it tonight!!! What a coincidence!

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan (susaninaz) | 1044 comments Leigh-Ayn wrote: "Ok... I know the book now lol Just by chance I was enabled on twitter to read this book haha and I literally just started it tonight!!! What a coincidence!"

How fun! Have dead men farted yet?

message 7: by Susan (new)

Susan (shaydock) | 727 comments No idea but it sounds like my kind of book!

message 8: by Irisheyes (new)

Irisheyes | 896 comments One of my favorites by this author! Great choice! (I almost picked a passage from this book as my Monday Puzzler last time around. LOL)

message 9: by Amber (new)

Amber | 161 comments Love this one! Great choice!

message 10: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Hill | 487 comments Hope everyone had a great 4th! Dreaming of You (The Gamblers of Craven's #2) by Lisa Kleypas

message 11: by Leigh-Ayn (new)

Leigh-Ayn | 1207 comments Great choice Rach! a lot of people have Craven as their top LK hero!
I have a soft spot for Cam from Mine Till Midnight. Manda has suggested Nick Gentry Worth Any Price and on Twitter Jack Devlin was suggested Suddenly You

Do you have a favourite??

message 12: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Hill | 487 comments Devil in Winter Hands down my fave

message 13: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (staceyissassy) | 1281 comments While I'm reading them, they're all my favourites. Lisa Kleypas always makes me fall in love with her heroes. I should go back and re-read them all. :-)

message 14: by Irisheyes (new)

Irisheyes | 896 comments I'm kind of with you, Stacey. Lisa does an awesome job with her heroes! Although, Marcus Westcliff still inches a tiny bit ahead of the rest for me. LOL

message 15: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (staceyissassy) | 1281 comments Irisheyes wrote: "I'm kind of with you, Stacey. Lisa does an awesome job with her heroes! Although, Marcus Westcliff still inches a tiny bit ahead of the rest for me. LOL"

OMG!! I thought I was the only one...YES!! I love me a little Westcliff. 😍